FYI - Screen shots will no longer work for ticket entry at games

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I love how on the podcast today Williams made sure to say "and everyone was drunk" at least 3 times when discussing the ticketing and entry. I'm not sure I saw anyone all day that was visibly over done (I did not see the student section). I did see lots of smiling and excitement up until getting to albaugh plaza.

Any negatives at ISU are the result of supporters who are drunk, cheap, and unwilling to change. Seems like the same easy cop out excuses are used routinely.

CW also made the bizarre point that "nobody meant for this to happen...It wasn't like Jamie and the staff were like, 'hey, let's keep 30,000 people outside for opening kickoff.'"

Weird strawman there...who actually believes anyone *wanted* this to happen?

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
I just put together this morning that the John Walters video talks about using google wallet with NFC, but when using the bar code reader it is not using google wallet. Well we are not going to move tickets back to our Cyclone accounts if the NFC reader is not working. So I don’t know if the bar code reader is a very good backup action.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
The only issue I had when I got to the kiosk is I wasn’t putting my phone in the right spot. Attendant helped me right away and I went through. Delayed getting in only a couple of seconds.

Reactions: Kaysea44

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I love how on the podcast today Williams made sure to say "and everyone was drunk" at least 3 times when discussing the ticketing and entry. I'm not sure I saw anyone all day that was visibly over done (I did not see the student section). I did see lots of smiling and excitement up until getting to albaugh plaza.

Any negatives at ISU are the result of supporters who are drunk, cheap, and unwilling to change. Seems like the same easy cop out excuses are used routinely.

Gotta tread very lightly when taking any perceived shots at the fan base.

Keep telling us we're a bunch of drunks who can't figure out the ticketing and the mood could change pretty quickly.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I don't know what the numbers were. But I was in my seat plenty early. And from what I saw, I'm guessing more than half of the stadium seats were full at kickoff. Certainly not as many as typical, but more than half. So somewhere north of 30,000 fans had it figured out.

Yes, it was a problem. Yes, it needs to be improved upon. I'm not ignoring the people saying they had problems, but the people saying it was a total ******** and complete failure of the AD need to also not ignore that the stadium had a lot of fans in their seats at kickoff.
So, failing to get half the fans in by kick off is your definition of success????? Getting there early doesn't mean you had it figured out any more than anyone else. It just means you decided to go earlier than the majority when the system could handle the extremely light load. When it had a normal load, it entirely broke down. I don't expect to get in my seat with 6 minutes left in the first quarter when I arrive at the gate 30 minutes before kick, even with a new system. I cannot emphasize enough to you that the line did not move but a few steps for a very, very long time. The normal depth of a 10-minute line was in excess of 30-40 minutes. I say in excess because at that point, only half-way to the gate, I got out of the north gate and walked to the east gate which had more like a 5-minute line midway into the 1st quarter.
The only issue I had when I got to the kiosk is I wasn’t putting my phone in the right spot. Attendant helped me right away and I went through. Delayed getting in only a couple of seconds.

This is true for some, others did exactly what you did, with the employees also attempted without success. I also had no problems other than the employees directed me to just go to the barcode method before even getting to the kiosk. My guess is that the tap worked so poorly it was faster to tell everyone to scan the barcode to save time.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Hard to get drunk on water. Chris is making assumptions here.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
That was part of the hold up at the north gate as well when a medical golf cart had to bust through the crowd to get someone with heat exhaustion.

I helped part the crowd so we could get a older guy who passed out twice up to the south gate for medical attention. It was beyond depressing to be that close to the front, then make my way back to where I started to continue waiting in line.

• Wow
Reactions: NWICY

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Yes, I was there.

In the week or so leading up to the game, I had read about all the concerns associated with this new system being implemented for the first time and the likelihood of delays for entering the stadium.

While I enjoy tailgating, I enjoy the game experience even more, so I heeded the warnings and my wife and I entered the stadium around noon. We had no issues at all.

We enjoyed hanging out in the shade on the concourse, using the restroom, getting something to eat, and watching the band perform.
If all 60000 were as wise as you, would all 60000 have been able to hang out in the shade in the concourse for an hour, or would they have been packed like sardines in the concourses with eternal lines to vending or sitting out in the sun? The water lines were excessive most the game, the bathroom sink water is just as wet, but it was hot water,

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
We got to the north end zone right at 12:30 and the line extended all the way to the street and it wasn’t moving. We unfortunately got in the line wrapping around to the east gate and it took us 50 minutes to get inside.
I eyed that east gate line at about the same time. Eventually went over there as it ended up shorter. Good to know it would have been 50 minutes that way too as I regretted not going there initially.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I just put together this morning that the John Walters video talks about using google wallet with NFC, but when using the bar code reader it is not using google wallet. Well we are not going to move tickets back to our Cyclone accounts if the NFC reader is not working. So I don’t know if the bar code reader is a very good backup action.
There is a blue bar at the bottom when you have it set for tap I believe you swipe up. This is what the worker had me do before we even got to the reader. If you use the tap, do you have to swipe to your next ticket to tap it? I had to with the bar code.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
If all 60000 were as wise as you, would all 60000 have been able to hang out in the shade in the concourse for an hour, or would they have been packed like sardines in the concourses with eternal lines to vending or sitting out in the sun? The water lines were excessive most the game, the bathroom sink water is just as wet, but it was hot water,
Nope to your questions above, but there will never be 60,000 fans in the stadium an hour prior to kickoff.

Look, there's a percentage of fans who come primarily for the tailgating, a percentage who come primarily for the game, and a percentage who come for both.

While I fall in the 3rd category, there's no way I'm ever gonna be late for the kickoff. That's why after reading the warnings about likely delays, I chose to enter the stadium an hour before kickoff. I wasn't going to take the risk, and I'm glad I made that decision.

Reactions: NoCreativity

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Nope to your questions above, but there will never be 60,000 fans in the stadium an hour prior to kickoff.

Look, there's a percentage of fans who come primarily for the tailgating, a percentage who come primarily for the game, and a percentage who come for both.

While I fall in the 3rd category, there's no way I'm ever gonna be late for the kickoff. That's why after reading the warnings about likely delays, I chose to enter the stadium an hour before kickoff. I wasn't going to take the risk, and I'm glad I made that decision.
You talk like they were broadcasting major warnings that it was going to be a complete cluster ****.

That is not even close to the truth.

I honestly dont think I saw any kind of warning from the Athletic Department that it was going to be a huge mess to get in, or even that it was going to be slower. They advertised this as being better, easier, faster, and necessary. But not that it was going to be a complete **** show.

People on here speculated that it might be slower to get in, or there might be problems, but there were never any WARNINGS of such. At least not that I saw anywhere.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
There is a blue bar at the bottom when you have it set for tap I believe you swipe up. This is what the worker had me do before we even got to the reader. If you use the tap, do you have to swipe to your next ticket to tap it? I had to with the bar code.
If I am following what you are asking, the feedback I have been getting is yes you have to do each ticket individually. I think your swipe up for the barcode reader is to bring the barcode on screenview.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I’d like to hear from someone who went through the piloting of this last year. What was it like? Did everyone at that gate need to enter with the same style of ticket and we’re there turnstiles for everyone? Did anything change from game to game? Did you ever use a different gate to avoid this? Did you have problems? Do you remember others - attendees or staff - having problems?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
You talk like they were broadcasting major warnings that it was going to be a complete cluster ****.

That is not even close to the truth.

I honestly dont think I saw any kind of warning from the Athletic Department that it was going to be a huge mess to get in, or even that it was going to be slower. They advertised this as being better, easier, faster, and necessary. But not that it was going to be a complete **** show.

People on here speculated that it might be slower to get in, or there might be problems, but there were never any WARNINGS of such. At least not that I saw anywhere.

The self-righteousness of some people on this is hilarious. Folks need to be the heroes of their own stories.

"If everyone had only done what I did, they would have been fine." No, if everyone had done what you did, the bottleneck just would have started 20 minutes earlier and you'd still be standing there when someone else showed up 30 minutes later.