Friday OT - C'mon Dad, Gimme the Car Tonight...

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
1997 Ford Ranger I bought for $700. My father said he would pay for driving school and my license but not the car so this was from my savings. It barely ran, would misfire and stall out constantly, had a giant hole in the muffler so it was loud as hell, and water filled the tail lights.

I spent the better part of a year learning about cars by slowly replacing nearly everything on that thing. Spent about $500 fixing it up, mostly from pull-a-part junk yards. New tail lights, new brakes, entire new exhaust, new timing belt, new spark plugs, everything I could replace.

The Monday morning after spending all weekend fixing the timing belt and exhaust, I was involved in a hit and run and I flipped it. Cracked engine block, cracked axle, and destroyed my new exhaust. I was so pissed.

Thankfully a good Samaritan saw it and called in the license plate.Turns out it was her 3rd hit and run and she had several DUI's in the past. Judge finally took her license and she was sent to jail for 6 months (served 3). The insurance company gave me $2800 for the car and paid for my hospital bill (just a scratch and minor concussion). I bought a beat up 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 for $1100 and the cycle continued :)

31368040004_large.jpg

Reactions: NWICY and arobb

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron