Friday OT #2 - When You're On A Golden Sea

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I'm nowhere near your guys' level on vacations. (Guess I'm too poor!) My favorite place it at my Mom's on the lake up in northeast Wisconsin........fishing, golfing, horseback riding, or just sitting in a lawn chair with a cocktail in my hand, watching the water. All my stress disappears. (And isn't that what vacations are for?)

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Went to Honolulu for 2 days and then Maui for 3 days on my honeymoon.
Honolulu was ok, but I got sick so my memory is not too fond of it. It was much more busy and touristy.
Maui was awesome. We were in a pretty standard hotel/resort, nothing special, but we went to several awesome beaches, I learned how to snorkel and we spent hours just floating around and looking at the fish and coral. We also went on a boat on an excursion out to a big reef and snorkeled around there as well.

We went to Breckenridge a few years ago in the summer, which seems counterintuitive, but we had a lot of fun. Went hiking with my older boys and had a blast. Went on a mine tour with the kids as well which was pretty fun.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Visited Nassau on a cruise, would like to go back and stay longer than the day the ship was docked there.

I'll be going to Destin, Florida for the 3rd time since 2015 in June. It seems to be our favorite spot. Water is crystal clear and the beaches are really nice. Haven't stayed in the same place yet, but so far our favorite spot was renting a condo at Surfside Resort.

Reactions: Angie

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
There were only a few times where I really, truly did not want to leave the place I was vacationing at. Most of the time it's "OK, this was a nice break but it is time to go home."

One exception was Bermuda. We stayed at the Grotto Bay Beach Resort and it had a private beach as well as a cool cave area onsite. Tons of cool fish and critters all around us, and extremely close to the airport. I felt we didn't even see 20% of the island, but it was a ton of fun. Rum and coke hit different for sure. Onions were like the only crop they grew in their red soil, so I highly recommend any onion rings when visiting there!

The other exception was the island of Malta in the Mediterranean. However it was more personal for me as I had family who emigrated from there. Still really cool history and great place to visit.

• Friendly

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Puerto Rico in February of 2014, It was 82 every day but not the Iowa humid 82 a comfortable 82. 82 one more time just because...82

Edit: It is a US territory so easy to get to, no passport, US currency, etc.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Banff is a destination Wifeypoo and I have talked about for years. You're just solidifying our hopes.

FYI, we went during the week in July and it wasn't too busy. On our way back to Calgary on Saturday to fly out, there was a really steady stream of vehicles heading that way. Also, if you are considering it, you might look at staying further north in Jasper for something a little less tourist-y.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldman and Angie

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Northwoods in a tent or rental around Lake Superior.

The easier to get to and less hassle/expenses the better.
The last vacation my wife and I went on was a week long canoe trip into the Quetico (Canadian version of Boundary Waters, only more remote). It was fantastic. I haven't slept that much or been that relaxed since. Hardly saw anyone and it was easy finding camping spots.
We both guided up there previously, so we knew how to pack food/gear to make it enjoyable. If you haven't done it previously, I would advise a guide service.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
My wife and I go to New Orleans every couple years for a long weekend taking in the food and live music. There is a decent, well priced hotel on St. Charles with a trolley stop right outside the front door that hits bourbon, canal, French Market, etc. PM if you would like the name, I would have to pull up my receipt to make sure I got it right.

We love to eat at Parkway Bakery and Tavern (Po' Boys), The Blue Crab (crawfish, seafood, by the marina so it is a neat place to post up for an evening), and go to Chickie Wah Wah's for beer (Dixie and Abita are our favorite local beers) and music. Bourbon St. is okay, but we have only ever gone once and it wasn't really our thing. Finally, everyone needs to visit the WWII museum at some point in my opinion. It is a very humbling experience.

Once we have gotten our food fix in New Orleans, we jot over to Pensacola to be beach bums for a week. Why Pensacola? Because it isn't a tourist town. It is reasonably priced, the beaches are clean with lots of space (my advice is to go to the dog beach because there are even less people), and there are still plenty of great places to eat and things to do - Fort Pickens is nearby (Geronimo was held here, it is also the southern most fort that never fell into confederate hands), The Fish Market (their red snapper as well as their grits with prawns are to die for), and if you are looking for that touristy location Destin is something like an hour and half away.

Edit - I forgot to add that The Blue Angels are also based out of Pensacola. They practice their aerial show once a week over Fort Pickens. It was pretty wild standing next to 100+ year old cannons while we had The Blue Angels zipping and diving over our heads.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The last vacation my wife and I went on was a week long canoe trip into the Quetico (Canadian version of Boundary Waters, only more remote). It was fantastic. I haven't slept that much or been that relaxed since. Hardly saw anyone and it was easy finding camping spots.
We both guided up there previously, so we knew how to pack food/gear to make it enjoyable. If you haven't done it previously, I would advise a guide service.

I've heard good things about Quetico.

I went yakpacking a couple of nights last summer in what's deemed the Boundary Waters of WI (rustic, but sites are set up and more boats, but still very nice) and enjoyed it.

It was pretty windy so the paddle out was like a water ride but it kept the mosquitos at bay until dusk once I was settled in. I was in my tent before sunset the 2nd night haha.

Reactions: Entropy and Angie

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I'm nowhere near your guys' level on vacations. (Guess I'm too poor!) My favorite place it at my Mom's on the lake up in northeast Wisconsin........fishing, golfing, horseback riding, or just sitting in a lawn chair with a cocktail in my hand, watching the water. All my stress disappears. (And isn't that what vacations are for?)
Absolutely, there are few places I enjoy more than fly-in cabins in Canada. Out in the middle of the wilderness. No phones, no internet, no distractions. Great fishing.

It's nice to be able to turn your brain off for a week and not have any worries. Sometimes you return to a **** storm. But the week is relaxing.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
My favorite city to visit by far is Prague. I could live there.
My favorite country to visit is Ireland... the people there are the nicest people on the face of the earth.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Went to Honolulu for 2 days and then Maui for 3 days on my honeymoon.
Honolulu was ok, but I got sick so my memory is not too fond of it. It was much more busy and touristy.
Maui was awesome. We were in a pretty standard hotel/resort, nothing special, but we went to several awesome beaches, I learned how to snorkel and we spent hours just floating around and looking at the fish and coral. We also went on a boat on an excursion out to a big reef and snorkeled around there as well.

We went to Breckenridge a few years ago in the summer, which seems counterintuitive, but we had a lot of fun. Went hiking with my older boys and had a blast. Went on a mine tour with the kids as well which was pretty fun.

Agree with you on Hawaii. So glad we spent the majority of our week in Maui before spending the last night in Honolulu. Maui is much more relaxing and has more local culture where Honolulu is way too much of a tourist trap. Go to Honolulu for Pearl Harbor and a few things and spend the rest of your time on one of the other islands IMO. I would go back to Maui again some day. Stayed in Kaanapali and spent a lot of time just down the road in Lahaina which has most of the dining, retail, and other things to do. Next time we go we are gong to do the road to Hana. We basically took a helicopter tour over the southern part of the island while there so we flew over the crater as well as the rain forests and Hana. Took a day trip around the north part of the island on a guided tour with 2 other couples and was really cool to see the local culture that was off the beaten path.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Agree with you on Hawaii. So glad we spent the majority of our week in Maui before spending the last night in Honolulu. Maui is much more relaxing and has more local culture where Honolulu is way too much of a tourist trap. Go to Honolulu for Pearl Harbor and a few things and spend the rest of your time on one of the other islands IMO. I would go back to Maui again some day. Stayed in Kaanapali and spent a lot of time just down the road in Lahaina which has most of the dining, retail, and other things to do. Next time we go we are gong to do the road to Hana. We basically took a helicopter tour over the southern part of the island while there so we flew over the crater as well as the rain forests and Hana. Took a day trip around the north part of the island on a guided tour with 2 other couples and was really cool to see the local culture that was off the beaten path.

We did the Road to Hana, even though our car rental place discouraged it. It was an awesome drive and well worth the time it took. We downloaded the audio tour that goes with the Road to Hana and it was full of awesome information on the island and Hawaiian history.

The Pearl Harbor tour was excellent and humbling. Unfortunately I was sick as a dog so I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Janny and I are currently planning our next trip to Curacao, because it is absolutely heaven. It is hands-down our favorite vacation destination. Baoase Luxury Resort is our home-away-from-home in paradise.

What is your BEST vacation destination experience? And do you have a favorite hotel/resort/etc. that you can recommend? What place would you visit over and over to truly relax and enjoy yourself?

Barbados continues to be my go-to. It's currency is pegged to the U.S. dollar at 2:1. The restaurants are amazing, they're English speaking, it's safe, beautiful, and the temps vary about 2-degrees throughout the year.

• Friendly

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Absolutely, there are few places I enjoy more than fly-in cabins in Canada. Out in the middle of the wilderness. No phones, no internet, no distractions. Great fishing.

It's nice to be able to turn your brain off for a week and not have any worries. Sometimes you return to a **** storm. But the week is relaxing.

Disconnecting from all things tech can be really rewarding.

I was back on my family farm last summer and it was such a nice break. Did some gardening and yardwork and was a good reminder that those were the things I could control.

Also when I was camping last summer, I would actually feel the anxiety coming on if I looked at my phone and saw any sort of news updates. Need to remember that this year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron