Friday OT #2 -- At the Late Night, Double Feature, Picture Show

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Oh man, I just had my mind jog a memory loose. So a HS friend and I were huge SNL fans (the Farley, Meyers, Carvey years). So Dana Carvey sorta disappeared for a while, but then came out with Master of Disguise. We loved him in SNL and were ecstatic to see it. This is before the internet really took hold, so we didn't know much about the movie other than the few commercials we had seen.

Well, turns out its a kids movie. So here we are, two 16/17 year old dudes in a theatre with a bunch of moms and little kids. It felt very, very weird. Oh, and the movie is awful.

Reactions: cyclones500

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I have since seen the John Wayne version, and maybe it's because I saw the Coen version first, I think it's not as good as the remake. Both are good, but I really loved how Jeff Bridges portrayed Rooster.

That's a defensible position.

I liked both Wayne and Bridges' interpretation of the character.

Wayne was the classic swaggering Hollywood cowboy. Bridges was a hobo with a badge and a gun.

Both worked in their own ways.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Ok, I can think of two off the top of my head. First one was when my wife and I went to see True Grit. Not being much of a John Wayne fan, I hadn't seen the original. I was enjoying to film quite a bit, but there was this older couple behind us who would not shut up about what was coming next. They quieted down a bit after I gave them a glare, but they still managed to spoil the climactic scene at the end.

Other one was way back when I was single and living in the sticks in the Texas panhandle. The Mist had come out, I liked the story from way back, and @brett108 wanted to go too. Gave us guys a chance to get into Amarillo and actually see other people. We get in there and notice that this family was there, none of the kids were older than about 10, with one of them being like 3. Kids were obviously terrified and crying, but the parents wouldn't take them out.
yeah it was some elite parenting on display

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Wasnt exactly a terrible experience, more of a facepalm, but my first date ever in hs i took her to Major League. No problems there or with the movie. But after we sat down i realized 4 of my buddies were just a couple rows in front of us. Not wanting to be heckled horribly, we snuck backwards several more rows.

Eventually they did see us and we got a ration of crap. Oh well.

Major league was (and is) fantastic.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
My roommate and I went to 15:17 to Paris when it came out cause we both liked the story line. Other roommate warned us it had bad reviews but we went anyway. Without a doubt the worst movie I've ever seen. The real life guys played themselves and it was just horrendous. My roommate fell asleep and I spent most of the second half of it on my phone. Not exactly sure why we didn't just leave

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
Not exactly a "date" film. lol

I would say Star Trek First Contact. A few of us got together for the Friday matinee on opening weekend at some theater in Des Moines. They had curtains over the screen that wouldn't draw open so eventually an employee just walked down and tore the curtain down amidst a lot of dust. Then there were issues actually playing the movie so we had to wait another 45 minutes or so for the next showing at one of the other screens.

I also walked out of Kung Fu Hustle. About 30 minutes in there was an old woman wandering about the theater. So I got up and asked her if there was a problem. She said she was trying to figure out how to get out. I took her to the door and just decided to walk out as well as I hated the first 30 minutes of the movie so I figured why watch any more of it.

Man, I thoroughly enjoyed Kung Fu Hustle

Bad Santa-Zod that was awful.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We saw Despicable Me 3 in the theater. The movie was just terrible and the family behind us consisted of a sniffler, a cougher, a seat-kicker and someone apparently infatuated with the sound of cellophane.

My wife fell asleep and had a far better experience.
One of the perks of retirement is the ability to go to movies in the middle of the day. It's like having your own private movie screening room. :D
I never realized how much the noise other people make in theaters annoyed me until I went back to an evening showing, early last year before Covid arrived in the US.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Middle school, 'The Right Stuff' was playing at our small town theater, me and buddies figured it was perfect since it was a 3 hour movie we'd be able to take our girlfriends and have time to do all kinds of damage in the back row. By the time I actually got the nerve up to put my arm around my newish girlfriend, the credits started to roll.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Two experiences:

When Saving Private Ryan came out in the theater I was very excited to see it, being a bit of a WWII nut. My wife and I went pretty early since it was a hot ticket and got our choice of seats right in the middle of the theater. The theater started to fill up and just before the lights went down a group came in including a pretty large woman. I notice that the only seats left in the entire theater are right next to me. Of course the large woman sat down right next to me. No big deal except the woman apparently took a bath in perfume. The smell was overpowering and there was now not a single seat left in the entire theater. The previews started and I was already getting queasy from the overpowering smell. Then when the movie started it opened with the invasion at Normandy beach. It is pretty jerky camera work so motion sickness started to pile on the sickness from the smell and I started to get really sick. I was doing all I could during that whole sequence to not hurl. I made it through it without ralphing, but if I did I already knew I was going to do it right on that woman.

Quite a few years later my wife and I went to see The Passion of the Christ on Easter weekend. We sat down in an about half full theater and noticed a family of about 8 with Mom, Dad and a passel of kids anywhere from 10 to about 3. My immediate thought was that this isn't exactly a movie that is appropriate for toddlers. The kids were rambunctious running around the theater and very loud before the lights went down and even during the previews. Just as the movie started Dad's cell phone started to ring and he answered it and proceeded to carry on a long conversation very loudly. After about 5 minutes of the phone conversation I got up and walked back to him and let him know that there were people in the theater that were interested in seeing and hearing this movie and if they couldn't keep quiet perhaps they should leave. After that they were a little bit more quiet. They were then only as loud as that worst person at most movies that piss everyone off instead of over the top annoying.

Help Support Us

Become a patron