Friday OT #1 - Your Honey-Don't List

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Rustoleum Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit is the route I went. Comes in White, Biscuit or Almond. Bought it online. About $30. You repair all your cracks and chips first and let therm dry, then this kit is just an enamel paint that you brush or roll on over the entire tub or shower. It's like having an entire new shower interior for me, covered up all the old staining and chips in the floor from when I dropped a can of shave cream or my razor, etc.

Thank you!! That's fantastic - that's way better than the white-ish silly putty it looks like now. I'm all over it!

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
My "honey-don't" is a new set of stairs for my deck, 13 steps high. I thought, OK, go to the lumber yard, buy stringers for 13 steps, put them in place and the rest is a piece of cake. But, you can't buy a stringer that long. 5 steps is the max. And actually my current stairs have only one stringer in the middle, the sides don't have stringers, they actually routered grooves into the sideboards that the steps slide into from behind. So to reconstruct that same setup, start with 3 boards 2 x 12 x 16. Just thinking about it is as far as I have gotten in 2 years. It's always too hot, or there is rain in the forecast....

Reactions: Angie

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
A few years ago, I built a deck. After putting the floor down, we noticed a serious flaw in one of the deck boards. This piece is right at the top of the entrance stairs. The floor boards were shipped in by Menards and we had a party coming up that we needed the deck to be ready for. As a temporary solution, I cut the flawed part of the board out and placed a leftover remnant from the pieces that were used to make the stairs so there is a seam right at the top of our entrance stairs. The flooring has now faded and if I order a new board it will not match the rest of the floor.

Reactions: Angie

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Addition on the house in 2011. They had to build a footer for the garage addition and of course the backfill next to it settled. I waited a couple years before putting pavers down in hopes the settling was done. It was not. So there's a definite slope to the paver walk out of the back door of the garage- sloping towards the garage. I need to get some more sand and pull those pavers and raise them about 1 1/2 inches and taper back.

Also, about 10 years ago I was rearranging cars in my garage and failed to notice a low saw horse in front of my car. So there's a small dent in the hood that's barely noticeable except I see it every time and it haunts me, "You idiot, putting a dent in your own car in your own garage!" I really need to just get it done. (not the 55 in my avatar, a different car).

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We have a big old house and we never have time to finish painting the whole thing on the exterior before the weather is too cold. So we basically are painting parts of the house every summer. By the time we finish one part, the part we did ten years ago needs a touchup.:oops: The youngest kids are starting to get close to college age, so we have the teenagers up on the high parts this summer while we still have the slave labor.

• Useful
Reactions: Tailg8er

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Up until last summer it was this old hot tub. Had been meaning to get rid of for a good 5 years.

Now if you asked my wife, she'd probably just point at my entire basement workshop.
vauEUgn.gif

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
To continue in this manner, perhaps the next thread needs to be something along the lines of "who would you suggest contacting if someone needed a new deck, house re-sided, new gutters and downspouts, fill around the house, four-legged outdoor pest removal, new external vent for microwave, landscaping? Asking for a friend.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
This isn't huge, but when I finished our basement I left a wire for some extra lights in the shop area. Now, seven years later, that wire still hangs down, taunting me. It's probably because I'll have to hit the main breaker to wire it up, so it will be a time when the Mrs. isn't in the house. At least that's my current excuse. :p

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Smaller task, but pretty gross - today I've been instructed to clean the dishwasher filter and trap. Nasty stuff. I'm hoping this time around won't be nearly as bad because not as much time has passed between cleanings.

Help Support Us

Become a patron