Friday OT #1 - Your Honey-Don't List

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks to @SayMyName for this idea - it's relevant to this time of year, for sure!

What's your largest DIY project you've failed to finish, and for how long?

For example, we have a pergola-thing that got wiped out by a huge, heavy snowstorm a few years back. Janny and my father took it down, with the intents of us getting something new set up with the still-standing poles. Two summers later, it stares at us every day.

What are yours?

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-28_7-13-41.png
    upload_2017-7-28_7-13-41.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 56

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Thanks to @SayMyName for this idea - it's relevant to this time of year, for sure!

What's your largest DIY project you've failed to finish, and for how long?

For example, we have a pergola-thing that got wiped out by a huge, heavy snowstorm a few years back. Janny and my father took it down, with the intents of us getting something new set up with the still-standing poles. Two summers later, it stares at us every day.

What are yours?

I feel like this whole OT is just a chance to call out Janny.

When we first moved into our house, we started with Mediacom cable. The previous owners had DirecTV but they left their dish up on a post in the back yard. My task was to remove this dish and post. It took me ten years but that post and dish are finally gone this summer!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I feel like this whole OT is just a chance to call at Janny.

When we first moved into our house, we started with Mediacom cable. The previous owners had DirecTV but they left their dish up on a post in the back yard. My task was to remove this dish and post. It took me ten years but that post and dish are finally gone this summer!

I swear it totally wasn't! He does all of the outdoor stuff - I just think neither of us have any idea how to tackle this monstrosity. We might just hire it out eventually. :)

It's funny how people leave up those dishes when they leave - we admittedly did that at our old townhouse when we sold it, because it was up on the roof on a three-story building, so we weren't touching it!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
At my dad's house, someone bumped the exterior wall while taking out a tree and broke two bullnose tile. That was maybe 4 years ago. I bought the replacements and still have them, but the missing tile are behind where the shower curtain sits, at floor level, so I never think about it.

• Funny
Reactions: Angie

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I swear it totally wasn't! He does all of the outdoor stuff - I just think neither of us have any idea how to tackle this monstrosity. We might just hire it out eventually. :)

It's funny how people leave up those dishes when they leave - we admittedly did that at our old townhouse when we sold it, because it was up on the roof on a three-story building, so we weren't touching it!

I'm married. I know how this works.

An addendum to the dish removal story. That stupid post had a concrete footer!

• Funny
Reactions: Tailg8er and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
At my dad's house, someone bumped the exterior wall while taking out a tree and broke two bullnose tile. That was maybe 4 years ago. I bought the replacements and still have them, but the missing tile are behind where the shower curtain sits, at floor level, so I never think about it.

Our guest bathtub has the tiniest little hole in it from the previous owners. It's miniscule, and they never fixed it because they took showers - but we have kids who love baths. So, after just having duct taped a plastic bag over it for a longer amount of time than I care to admit, I got some boat patching stuff and patched it over. It looks silly, and we really just need a new tub.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Our guest bathtub has the tiniest little hole in it from the previous owners. It's miniscule, and they never fixed it because they took showers - but we have kids who love baths. So, after just having duct taped a plastic bag over it for a longer amount of time than I care to admit, I got some boat patching stuff and patched it over. It looks silly, and we really just need a new tub.

They make little enamel repair kits. Had to do that with the tub in the same house due to a chip.

• Informative

Cyowan008

Feb 27, 2014
Ankeny, IA
I left the tailgate down on my truck, went to back it into the garage, and now there is a nice hole in the drywall that's still there. Not a huge project but it's still there.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm married. I know how this works.

An addendum to the dish removal story. That stupid post had a concrete footer!

How big was that dish?!

I can't throw a lot of stones in the procrastination department. I have a terrible, terrible dust allergy, so I'm AWFUL about dusting. I'm starting allergy shots soon, so hopefully that should make it less of a miserable task.

They make little enamel repair kits. Had to do that with the tub in the same house due to a chip.

That's awesome, I'll hunt some down! This was just putty, basically, that I used.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
We built a deck addition and a new patio under the old deck a few years back. I didn't get the last pavers around the deck support posts put on in time and the rains washed some of the sand base out. It is slowly becoming a mess. I probably need to hire someone to do it right this time. The deck addition is nice, though.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We upgraded our deck a few years ago and I put the original framed lattice back underneath it. The wood doesn't match the deck. It looks fine from a distance, but it's noticeable to me and apparently a horribly embarrassing eyesore to my wife. I just need to reframe it with cedar and put a coat of paint on it, but it's nothing I've been in a rush to do.

I also need to reset the landscaping stones that run alongside our house, but that's going to be a really crappy 6-7 hour job that leaves my back and knees hurting for a week. I find a lot of other things to do to avoid that.

Reactions: oldman and Angie

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
Here's what prompted this topic idea - not my procrastination project, but someone else's that I drive by every day.

20170727_181556_000.jpg

Been in this same unfinished state for what feels like a very long time. All I can think of is "Hey, I'll put that scaffolding to good use!"

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
How big was that dish?!

I can't throw a lot of stones in the procrastination department. I have a terrible, terrible dust allergy, so I'm AWFUL about dusting. I'm starting allergy shots soon, so hopefully that should make it less of a miserable task.

That's awesome, I'll hunt some down! This was just putty, basically, that I used.

Just google tub repair enamel and you'll find it.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I built a fairly elaborate 3-tiered waterfall and pond in our back yard a few years after we moved in. I had some 6x6s in an octagon-shape around the pond. It was a pretty aggressive undertaking at the time for me.

It worked really well for about one year and a half, but I didn't maintain it like I needed to. Eventually, little things kept going wrong and I couldn't quite get everything to work like the year prior (which drove me nuts). It eventually became a 3-tiered planted with a pond, before finally becoming a 3-tiered weed bed with a mosquito breeding ground.

I endured a lot of grief over several years before finally tearing the whole damn thing out. On the positive side, I learned a lot of things, but the main thing was that I will never try doing another water feature due to the mosquitoes.

That area is now stamped concrete with a fire pit that gets used a BUNCH more.

Reactions: mj4cy and Angie

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
We've lived in our house over a year and I've still yet to organize the office or the garage. I built a garage workbench (more like assembled) and then we had a newborn so haven't put effort to actually finding a home for tools.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
There's a house east of Aplington that, no kidding, has been in the remodeling stage for at least 20 years. He is on his 4th set of Tyvek that I know of. Keeps putting it on, never gets around to finishing the exterior, the elements take their toll, rinse and repeat.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
We've lived in our house over a year and I've still yet to organize the office or the garage. I built a garage workbench (more like assembled) and then we had a newborn so haven't put effort to actually finding a home for tools.

Unpacking after moving is terrible. We moved in October, still have boxes full of stuff in closets, in the dining room, and garage. Since it's summer in the South, I'm not anxious about doing much in the garage at this point in time. Maybe a good fall project.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Organizing your garage is such an absolute pain in the ass, but once you get it done, it's much easier to keep it organized. I gutted mine about 2 years ago and went through every last random screw, nail, dry wall anchor, fuse, etc. It was painful, but easily the most satisfying project I've done to date.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Organizing your garage is such an absolute pain in the ass, but once you get it done, it's much easier to keep it organized. I gutted mine about 2 years ago and went through every last random screw, nail, dry wall anchor, fuse, etc. It was painful, but easily the most satisfying project I've done to date.

All I see is the uphill climb of the mountain haha. It's very hard right now because I literally have zero free/downtime with a 3 week old and two older kids. I work from home so I don't even have that 25 minute commute to myself.

As soon as the baby sleeps a bit better, should be easier to grab my oldest son and tell him we're going to hang out in the garage for an afternoon.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
How big was that dish?!

Rustoleum Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit is the route I went. Comes in White, Biscuit or Almond. Bought it online. About $30. You repair all your cracks and chips first and let therm dry, then this kit is just an enamel paint that you brush or roll on over the entire tub or shower. It's like having an entire new shower interior for me, covered up all the old staining and chips in the floor from when I dropped a can of shave cream or my razor, etc.

• Informative