Friday OT #1 - Fancy Pants

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I use an edger and carefully go around the trim. Taping took me longer and found with textured walls that the paint bled that way.

I love edgers - they are life changing! The big trick is to get just the right amount of paint. You can't overload it! And then I'd usually go back and just touch up with a trim brush.

That old house had different colors in every single room. But not, like, taupe vs cream. One was a "Cyclone bathroom" that had SPRAY PAINTED bright fire-engine red on two walls, and then they'd spackled some baby-**** yellow on the two other walls. I had to prime that thing about four times before painting it. And it had a popcorn ceiling, so the fire-engine red was almost impossible to catch every single part.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Laundry. I don't mind cleaning, it's actually somewhat cathartic for me. But I just absolutely hate laundry-- especially putting it away.

• Winner
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Laundry. I don't mind cleaning, it's actually somewhat cathartic for me. But I just absolutely hate laundry-- especially putting it away.

I'm obsessive about how I do laundry - it gets folded same-day straight out of the dryer, shirts get hung up in rainbow color order (short sleeves in one side by color, long sleeves in the other by color for the kids, for adults it's by work vs casual by color). I have a system, and I can fit everything into my system. I can't put "6-year-old peed in the sink" into a system." (He hasn't actually done that - I'm anticipating.)

• Winner
Reactions: cyputz

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
@Mr Janny is useless painting. He did one or two walls in our previous house, and that was it. I did, like, four rooms. (The painting was just atrocious when we moved in.) I feel you on that, man.

Yeah, I just leave up the trim and tape it. I tried to put Saran Wrap around the walls by the ceiling when I painted that, and that did not work. It just left me with sticky Saran Wrap everywhere while I was painting. If I take off trim, I'm just going to end up poking myself with a nail and going to the ER.
Two painting stories from our real life to refute this:

1) painting a room in our kitchen. It was white and we were painting it red. You painted "Angie Rules!" in giant letters on the wall just as we were getting started. And we had to do like 10 coats before you couldn't see it anymore.

2) painting the living room at our house, and I was almost finished. It was a color you picked, and you'd seen my progress along the way multiple times, but you waited until I was almost done to declare you hated it and wanted a different color.

Gee, I wonder why I'm not a big fan of painting?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm obsessive about how I do laundry - it gets folded same-day straight out of the dryer, shirts get hung up in rainbow color order (short sleeves in one side by color, long sleeves in the other by color for the kids, for adults it's by work vs casual by color). I have a system, and I can fit everything into my system. I can't put "6-year-old peed in the sink" into a system." (He hasn't actually done that - I'm anticipating.)
Your hanging of clothes is definitely OCD level.

• Friendly

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
I actually don't mind the painting, once I get into a rhythm, and we have had to paint literally our entire house (interior anyways). It is kind of a mindless task that allows my mind to "wander" and think of other things. It kind of is the right balance between big picture, and detail. I've done deep dark colors, stripes, spray, roll, walls, trim, windows, you name it. Most of it has turned out pretty good and I have learned a lot along the way.

Trim and ceilings can be a pain. I tape the trim (and any other detail type areas) with Frog tape. While not perfect, it does minimize bleed through (at least better than any other tape I have used). For ceilings, I try to avoid tape for the most part. Patience and a good cut in brush go a long ways. Love the paint pads too - they work great for getting up close to the ceiling. I usually will load them up with paint, smear it on the wall a little, and then work up to the wall / ceiling corner.

Having a handyman on call would be a godsend. If for nothing else, to be able to get those emergencies that pop up taken care of so I can continue on with my myriad of projects around the house and get them done.

Once we get clear of this pandemic, I could see us getting a cleaning person once per week maybe. Would help the Mrs. a little since she has been pulling double duty (teacher / mom) since last March.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

1) painting a room in our kitchen. It was white and we were painting it red. You painted "Angie Rules!" in giant letters on the wall just as we were getting started. And we had to do like 10 coats before you couldn't see it anymore.

2) painting the living room at our house, and I was almost finished. It was a color you picked, and you'd seen my progress along the way multiple times, but you waited until I was almost done to declare you hated it and wanted a different color.

I tell the wife if she doesn’t like it she can do it, and she knows I mean it so her complaints get halted quickly.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Putting my "throw everything in and wash it on cold" strategy to shame.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Weirdo, and I say that as someone with organizing OCD. This woof!

• Funny

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
Do you take off trim when you paint? I dislike that so I always paint with it on. Generally the wife will say she wants to paint such and such. Then she will go buy the stuff and tell me to do it or finish a 5’X5’ square in an hour or so and know it drives me crazy and I will just do it. I have my system that seems slow starting but when I get to the main part it flys.
My wife makes me take the trim off so she doesn't have to tape or trim. That stuff does not go back on the same way very easily. She hasnt made me paint for a few years.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and BCClone

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Those both definitely happened. But I don't think you did ANY of the coats over "Angie Rules!" so that's not a fair reason to hate painting. And on the second one - I had NOT seen your progress, I was painting the basement and hadn't seen any of it. I came up and you and Dad had the living room almost done... and I hated it. Ask twice, paint one.

Your hanging of clothes is definitely OCD level.

Probably, yes. But it's like a spreadsheet - I always know where everything is!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
@Mr Janny is useless painting. He did one or two walls in our previous house, and that was it. I did, like, four rooms. (The painting was just atrocious when we moved in.) I feel you on that, man.

I'm not allowed to do indoor painting. Spousal 500 doesn't trust me.

Exception: Living room ceiling I've done on 2 occasions, 'cuz I can do it without using a ladder.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I need to hire someone, who when I say, "I'm going to redo my home office, increase the insulation, improve the lighting, frame and drywall it correctly (not like the previous owner), and do all the taping and mudding myself" slaps me and says, "I can do this in a couple of days for only $X. It will take you months to find the time to do it yourself."

The other thing is someone to rake the 45-55 bags of leaves I have every year.

Reactions: kirk89gt and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I actually don't mind the painting, once I get into a rhythm, and we have had to paint literally our entire house (interior anyways). It is kind of a mindless task that allows my mind to "wander" and think of other things. It kind of is the right balance between big picture, and detail. I've done deep dark colors, stripes, spray, roll, walls, trim, windows, you name it. Most of it has turned out pretty good and I have learned a lot along the way.

Trim and ceilings can be a pain. I tape the trim (and any other detail type areas) with Frog tape. While not perfect, it does minimize bleed through (at least better than any other tape I have used). For ceilings, I try to avoid tape for the most part. Patience and a good cut in brush go a long ways. Love the paint pads too - they work great for getting up close to the ceiling. I usually will load them up with paint, smear it on the wall a little, and then work up to the wall / ceiling corner.

Having a handyman on call would be a godsend. If for nothing else, to be able to get those emergencies that pop up taken care of so I can continue on with my myriad of projects around the house and get them done.

Once we get clear of this pandemic, I could see us getting a cleaning person once per week maybe. Would help the Mrs. a little since she has been pulling double duty (teacher / mom) since last March.

Painting is awesome for podcasts, I found! You are only about 80% paying attention to both, which is great!

Putting my "throw everything in and wash it on cold" strategy to shame.

I do still wash on cold, and don't separate! Knock on wood, that hasn't blown up in my face too bad yet. I only pull out stuff if it is hella red, or the first time I wash it.

Weirdo, and I say that as someone with organizing OCD. This woof!

Yeah, it's pretty next-level crazy person. I realize that!

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Hard question on how I would want to be serviced by hired help.
Hmmm, so glad I didn't read this answer until now. It's too much to imagine early in the morning.

• Funny

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I was talking to him about all the waste of money on the Harbor Plaza project (put in imported marble baseboards only to chop them out a week later because some executive thought the hallway should be about 6 inches wider)
He said that was nothing compared to how much waste there was on the Whitehouse
I assume all those unneeded products then went to Habitat for Humanity or some resale store, right? ;)