Friday OT #1 - Fancy Pants

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
My son was learning about the White House the other day at school - the actual house and people who work there. We talked about the swimming pool, tennis courts, bowling alley. He was very concerned with where the dogs slept, and who fed them, who took care of the shoes at the bowling alley, who cleaned the pool. Kindergartner thoughts.

If you could have one service come into your home (not, like, a butler who can cook/clean/fix/do laundry), what would it be?

Cleaning bathrooms and kitchens is life changing for me. Scrubbing toilets and stove tops is the worst.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
For me, it would just be cleaning. Having a dog that has been shedding a lot; having it be cleaned would be wonderful.

Reactions: Angie

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My wife had someone come in and do bathrooms and deeper cleaning when our kids were younger. She is very particular and actually would clean the night before she came in so I didn’t see the great need.

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
My wife had someone come in and do bathrooms and deeper cleaning when our kids were younger. She is very particular and actually would clean the night before she came in so I didn’t see the great need.

We finally have someone who comes in and does this now, but not very often. I do some cleaning the night before, but not the really hard "get soap scum out of tile" type of stuff. It's honestly life-changing when you've got full-time (plus) work, kids, and are really involved in different organizations - it frees you up to actually enjoy your family a bit.

Reactions: BCClone

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Nothing really, but if I had to say one thing, it would be painting f that noise.

• Friendly

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Definitely cleaning

When it comes to the Whitehouse, I worked with a mason about 40 years ago that had worked on the Whitehouse renovation in the 60's

• Informative
  • Wow
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Nothing really, but if I had to say one thing, it would be painting f that noise.

Man, I hate painting. We had to do a bunch on our previous house when we moved - the ceiling can go ahead and bite a ****.

• Haha
Reactions: CyCrazy

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Definitely cleaning

When it comes to the Whitehouse, I worked with a mason about 40 years ago that had worked on the Whitehouse renovation in the 60's

Can you imagine how crazy that would be? That's super neat!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Can you imagine how crazy that would be? That's super neat!
I was talking to him about all the waste of money on the Harbor Plaza project (put in imported marble baseboards only to chop them out a week later because some executive thought the hallway should be about 6 inches wider)
He said that was nothing compared to how much waste there was on the Whitehouse

• Wow

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I was talking to him about all the waste of money on the Harbor Plaza project (put in imported marble baseboards only to chop them out a week later because some executive thought the hallway should be about 6 inches wider)
He said that was nothing compared to how much waste there was on the Whitehouse

I wouldn't be surprised. I can only imagine the premier products used and thrown.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Man, I hate painting. We had to do a bunch on our previous house when we moved - the ceiling can go ahead and bite a ****.
Do you take off trim when you paint? I dislike that so I always paint with it on. Generally the wife will say she wants to paint such and such. Then she will go buy the stuff and tell me to do it or finish a 5’X5’ square in an hour or so and know it drives me crazy and I will just do it. I have my system that seems slow starting but when I get to the main part it flys.

• Agree

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I'd like to have a handyman on call.

I've done most everything around the house electrically and plumbing-wise, as well as fixing drawers, doors etc, since we bought the house in 1990.

I'm getting too ******* old to be crawling around under sinks, and cleaning gutters and stuff. Let someone younger do that.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Do you take off trim when you paint? I dislike that so I always paint with it on. Generally the wife will say she wants to paint such and such. Then she will go buy the stuff and tell me to do it or finish a 5’X5’ square in an hour or so and know it drives me crazy and I will just do it. I have my system that seems slow starting but when I get to the main part it flys.

@Mr Janny is useless painting. He did one or two walls in our previous house, and that was it. I did, like, four rooms. (The painting was just atrocious when we moved in.) I feel you on that, man.

Yeah, I just leave up the trim and tape it. I tried to put Saran Wrap around the walls by the ceiling when I painted that, and that did not work. It just left me with sticky Saran Wrap everywhere while I was painting. If I take off trim, I'm just going to end up poking myself with a nail and going to the ER.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Clearing the yard of dog poop. We have two 70-lb. labs. Having someone do this for me daily would be nice.

• Winner

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'd like to have a handyman on call.

I've done most everything around the house electrically and plumbing-wise, as well as fixing drawers, doors etc, since we bought the house in 1990.

I'm getting too ******* old to be crawling around under sinks, and cleaning gutters and stuff. Let someone younger do that.

We are a house that definitely calls someone to help if we know something is out of our wheelhouse. We'll try and YouTube how to do something, see if it's something we feel comfortable tackling, and then call someone if not. :D Thank goodness for @CyCrazy who will come look at a dead tree for us!

Reactions: oldman

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Clearing the yard of dog poop. We have two 70-lb. labs. Having someone do this for me daily would be nice.

We have a little tiny dog - but our kids do that when they're naughty!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
@Mr Janny is useless painting. He did one or two walls in our previous house, and that was it. I did, like, four rooms. (The painting was just atrocious when we moved in.) I feel you on that, man.

Yeah, I just leave up the trim and tape it. I tried to put Saran Wrap around the walls by the ceiling when I painted that, and that did not work. It just left me with sticky Saran Wrap everywhere while I was painting. If I take off trim, I'm just going to end up poking myself with a nail and going to the ER.
I use an edger and carefully go around the trim. Taping took me longer and found with textured walls that the paint bled that way.