Friday OT #1 - "And there were bedbugs everywhere..."

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This is slightly off topic, but it often makes me laugh when the go to move of a business, when a customer is dissatisfied, is to try to satiate them with more of their product. It just seems illogical. Makes me think of this one time a long time ago. My friend Pete and I were grabbing something to eat, and we ended up at a Boston Market. Long story short, Pete ended up griping to the manager because he swore he found a "beak" in his chicken pot pie. (I don't really know if it was a beak, but there was definitely something foreign in there. He kept calling it a beak, and it was all I could do to keep from breaking out laughing while he went on his tirade to the manager)
Anyway, the manager was apologizing, but the only thing he was offering was free meals at the restaurant. Pete kept saying that he didn't want any more of their "****** beak-ridden slop" (actual quote) because he was never coming back to Boston Market again. He wanted his money back instead. After some resistance, he finally ended up getting his money back, but it was clear that the manager would have rather parted with free food than cash. And I guess I can understand that. It just seems to me that if someone is complaining that your product is terrible, offering them more of that product isn't exactly the way to make them feel better.
If they didn't offer that, aren't they basically admitting their product is crap or they could say f you, this is normal, thanks for the money.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Central Motel in Fort Morgan, CO about a month ago. It was the night before the eclipse so there were almost no hotels available in the area. It literally looked like a murder scene. They gave us the TV remote when we checked in if that gives you any idea of the normal clientele. The box spring had a huge dark red stain on it. We sat in the room for about 15 minutes before deciding to pay 3x the already high rate down the interstate.
Just the smell of Fort Morgan is enough to scare away the heartiest of souls.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Wherever the hell I stayed in Memphis for the Liberty Bowl. It was a nice place: Marriott, HIlton, etc but I partied my face off the first night in town and that room was a war zone the next morning. It was like Paul Rhoads describing a win in Lincoln.
So, did you win without scoring a touchdown?

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Stayed at a Microtel once. Wasn't all that bad of an experience, but I just remember lots of very large mirrors which is simply unsettling.
I figured that was to make everything seem larger than it really was.

• Agree
Reactions: LindenCy

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Booked a night at the La Quinta outside of the Orlando airport since it offered a free airport shuttle in the morning. We were in the lobby and there were people who looked like they had no reason to be at the hotel. The lady told us after checkin to be sure to lock the deadbolt on our door. We thought she was just kidding. On our way to the room, we discovered this is one of those hotels where you enter the room from the outside. We were walking up to our room and we are fairly certain there was a drug deal going on right outside the door to our room. We got back in our car and drove to the Hyatt inside the airport instead and never checked out of the La Quinta.

Ever since, I check TripAdvisor for every hotel I potentially stay at.

• Creative
Reactions: isu22andy

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Word to the wise. Never stay at the Super 8 in York Nebraska. It doesn't even live up to Super 8 standards which is saying something. The place should be burned to the ground. I think the Motel 6 on the other side of I80 would probably be a better choice.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Word to the wise. Never stay at the Super 8 in York Nebraska. It doesn't even live up to Super 8 standards which is saying something. The place should be burned to the ground. I think the Motel 6 on the other side of I80 would probably be a better choice.

York Hampton or Holiday Inn are both solid. Chances R is great, used to have pickle wraps and little smokies at happy hour.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Some little hole in the wall between Chicago and Gary Ind. Only hotel I've never stayed at after checking in. It was late and I was tired but went to the room and only half the lights worked, an it was just plain nasty all around. Stopped back at the office and they gave us our money back.

Cabins in Yellowstone National Park, way over priced and we were there in Aug it got down to the upper 20's heater did not work, called office they said maintenance would be over never showed. Only good thing was plenty of hot water in am for a shower, no refund, discount or anything just a giant FU thx for your money from them. Only satisfaction I ever got was b*tching them out at a trade show they were at later. Didn't get any money but maybe at least kept someone else from wasting their money on them.

Reactions: Angie

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
This thread makes me feel like I haven't had it too bad. I have changed rooms a number of times before, but the worst I had it was at a Super 8 in Rochester, NY. Sheets were very dirty, had to replace them late at night myself, and what I found underneath wasn't pleasant.

Have had a few other bad situations including urine stain on sheets at a place in Canada, but overall the biggest issue is noise from other rooms. I'm glad I've discovered AirBnB.

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
I don't think this is as bad as some or the other posters, but I was on a bicycle tour from Lhasa, Tibet to Kathmandu. We were in Lhasa for 4 days to acclimate to the 12,000 foot elevation (this was the lowest point on the trip until we started a 60 km descent after crossing the pass through the Himalayas).

The decor of the hotel was nice enough, but we had rats running through the hanging ceiling.

This was the second time that I made the trip. I was unable to complete the first trip due to altitude sickness. I happened to pick up a flyer from the desk and was amazed to find my picture in it. IIRC, the place was newish the first time around and they had take photos of the group to establish the place was to western standards.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I don't think this is as bad as some or the other posters, but I was on a bicycle tour from Lhasa, Tibet to Kathmandu. We were in Lhasa for 4 days to acclimate to the 12,000 foot elevation (this was the lowest point on the trip until we started a 60 km descent after crossing the pass through the Himalayas).

The decor of the hotel was nice enough, but we had rats running through the hanging ceiling.

This was the second time that I made the trip. I was unable to complete the first trip due to altitude sickness. I happened to pick up a flyer from the desk and was amazed to find my picture in it. IIRC, the place was newish the first time around and they had take photos of the group to establish the place was to western standards.

Would you be willing to share more about the bike trip that sounds pretty amazing. Did you ship your bike over or did a tour company provide them? Guided or just a you follow?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
York Hampton or Holiday Inn are both solid. Chances R is great, used to have pickle wraps and little smokies at happy hour.
We do a ride over there 2nd weekend in September and have dinner at Chances R. Then sit around a hotel and drink and tell the same old stories all night. Usually it is the Super 8 or Motel 6 as we get a block of rooms and it keeps costs down for everyone. I hadn't been at that Super 8 in 3 years. I don't remember it being as bad as it is. I'm really surprised it still has the Super 8 name on it. If you are running a chain of hotels you have to apply some sort of standard.

Reactions: Macloney

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

I think I've been there before! Is that the one where it looks like the manager and her daughter live in the office? (the one I'm thinking of had mattresses on the floor in the office).

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Not a bad experience, but just kind of memorable. Shortly after college I had a job where I traveled quite a bit. Stayed at the "Woods Motel" in Donnelson, IA. It was less than $30 for the night, this was around 2004 or so. Tiny room, kind of 1950's-ish, but at least clean.

When I turned the receipt into the lady at work that handled the expenses, she kind of laughed.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Days Inn in Ft Worth, TX is by far the worst place I have ever stayed at. To set up this story this was back in the late 90's and growing up on a farm we showed cattle in the summer so our breed's national show was in TX that year. So to save costs and make the trip easier all the Iowa families attending loaded up a semi trailer with all the cattle and car pooled down to TX to save on costs. Got in around 2am and unloaded everything and got to the Days Inn around 4am. We had about a dozen or so families all tired from the long trip checking in at once at a time the front desk clerk probably was a little overwhelmed. We get our room assignment and try to card into the room and our card doesn't work. Next thing you know we see a light turn on in the window and find out someone was already in the room. We head back to the lobby and wait in line as he is still checking in people. We tell the clerk there is someone in the room he assigned us to, by this time we find out another family just had the same thing happen to them too. So the desk clerk calls the room at what is now close to 5am to confirm it was occupied... So the next room he assigns us to we open the door and there is plaster that has fallen off the ceiling and was on the bed and floor and it smells musty so we go back and ask if they have any other room that is more acceptable. He puts us in a smoking room, its the 3rd room we have attempted to occupy and it's now after 5am so we are dead tired. Seems well enough all things considered so we go to sleep and we get a call at 8am from the front desk telling us they now have a non-smoking room available. At this point we don't care that it is a smoking room, just glad no one is occupying it and the ceiling plaster is not falling and don't want to take our chances on another room after hearing what everyone else has dealt with too.

Next morning the guy who booked our rooms has it out with the manager as they had stayed there just 6 months ago and the room they stayed in was nothing like the crappy rooms we got. Turns out they had a handful of renovated rooms that currently were occupied by some families staying there for "extended stays" as the had the rooms were located near the pool and he pointed them out as they had their doors open 1 night. Definitely looked a lot better than the rooms we had. Speaking of the pool, it was well over 100 there that week so we used the pool every night to cool off. One night it was closed for cleaning, we had it out again with the front desk as it was odd to close the pool during one of the hottest weeks. The scary thing was the next day it was open it was crystal clear and we wondered what we had been swimming in the first couple nights as it was such a noticeable difference. Several calls and letters were sent after that trip to the Days Inn corporate office and basically was told it was locally owned and there was not much they could do but pass on the complaints to the local ownership which we obviously got no response from since we had already aired out or complaints about the dump they were running. At least thought that they would be able to revoke their franchise if their facilities did not meet their standards. I avoid Days Inn after that expirience.

Super 8 is another chain I try to avoid too. Traveled 4 nights a week for my 2 summer internships in college and most of the time the company I interned for tried to book us in a Super 8 to save money. More times than not the Super 8 we stayed at were pretty sketchy and got to a point we'd cancel our reservations and book another hotel in town even if it cost a bit more because after living out of a suitcase and working 10-12 hour days and traveling to a different town nearly every day sleeping in a halfway decent place was the least they could do for us. The 2nd summer they sent a full time employee to shadow us the first day and even they had issues with the hotels they would book us once they got a glimpse of them so that helped justify our change of accommodations too when full time employees took issue with where we were going to stay.

Help Support Us

Become a patron