Friday OT #1 - Always a Bridesmaid, Never a Funeral

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Been a best man in my brother's wedding and a groomsman in a friend's wedding and other than that I think that's the only 2 weddings besides my own I have been in any official capacity.

As far as memories sports related... friends of ours from Nebraska decided to get married the weekend of a Cy-Hawk game in 2006 which luckily was in Iowa City that year otherwise I probably would have had a heated debate with my at the time girlfriend now my wife about going to it. Ironically that was the same year Nebraska played USC too which was probably the biggest game on TV that night. I remember 2 things: having to watch the first 3 quarters of the Cy-Hawk game at a sports bar before heading to the wedding then being upset that we had to go in during the 4th quarter when the outcome was still in doubt (Iowa ended up winning 27-17 but it was within a TD or less when we turned off the radio in the car) and not seeing the wedding party for good chunks of the reception because they were all in the bar watching the Nebraska game and not the room the reception was in at the country club. Made a point to tell my future wife to be that this is exactly why people need to avoid fall weddings because even the wedding party was pre-occupied with the football game going on and were ignoring their guests. I think I probably even laid it on thick how if I had known they weren't even going to be participating in their own reception for a good chunk of the night then I could have done the same and just stayed at the sports bar and watched the end of the Cy-Hawk game during their wedding ceremony.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Our wedding in Muskieville October 19, 1985. A torrential downpour all day. At the country club for the reception we had a radio with I State and Colorado.

On in the TV lounge, where all the invitees were crammed in around a small color, was #2 Michigan in IC.

Yuk.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
2 Groomsman
3 (I think, usher)
Never a best man, never a bride (I think that's close to how that saying goes.)

Was at a wedding the afternoon of the OU game at Norman a couple years ago. Went into the long Catholic wedding trailing like 17-3 (don't remember exactly) thinking, "Well at least it's not a shut-out." So during the wedding my phone was off and didn't really think too much about it.
Coming out with my brother we both checked the score at the same time. I saw it was something like 28-21 and thought, "Wow, we're making a game of it." It was my brother that pointed out ISU was the 28 and were ahead. I had to look again to believe it. We made a quick run home to change clothes because it was a long time until the reception (photos were being taken between ceremony and reception) so we got to hear the OU score to tie the score then ISU score the winning touchdown. Then waited for the other shoe to drop - when the defense held and ISU won we were almost home.

At the reception I had a nice meal but spent way too much time checking in on the celebration here on CF than I should have.

Last edited:

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I've been in two as a groomsman, one as an usher, I'm about to be in another as a groomsman next month, and I have my wedding coming up next May.

I really like the idea of buying suits instead of renting tuxedos. It must not be catching on with any of my friends though because they've all been tux rentals (except as an usher) and I haven't heard many others talk about it. I think this is the way I'm going to go, though, because I like the idea that if they're going to spend that much money, they might as well spend a little bit more and have something nice they can keep and wear again (or return? lol). I've never heard about the groom's family picking up the tab for that, although I can see that happening from time to time - and I suppose I haven't heard about paying for the tuxedo rental for the wedding next month. I also have to fly, rent a car, and stay in a hotel for two nights. That's about $650-700+ right there...

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
1 ringbearer, 3 groomsmen, and 2 usher, I think. Cousin's kid got married on the cy hawk weekend themed their reception for it. Since ISU won that yr the grand march thing was done to the ISU Fight song. Lot a pissed off relatives at that one LOL.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I've been in a wedding party around 10 times and the best man in four. 75% of the time when I was the best man, the marriage ended in divorce. Wasn't my fault.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I've been in two as a groomsman, one as an usher, I'm about to be in another as a groomsman next month, and I have my wedding coming up next May.

I really like the idea of buying suits instead of renting tuxedos. It must not be catching on with any of my friends though because they've all been tux rentals (except as an usher) and I haven't heard many others talk about it. I think this is the way I'm going to go, though, because I like the idea that if they're going to spend that much money, they might as well spend a little bit more and have something nice they can keep and wear again (or return? lol). I've never heard about the groom's family picking up the tab for that, although I can see that happening from time to time - and I suppose I haven't heard about paying for the tuxedo rental for the wedding next month. I also have to fly, rent a car, and stay in a hotel for two nights. That's about $650-700+ right there...

In my case, the tux was all my wife's idea. I actually own a tux, but she insisted I wear a different one.

We did help out a few of the guys with the rentals since we got married in Houston and everyone had to fly to get there.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
2 groomsman
2 usher
1 ring bearer

For our wedding we didn't really do gifts for the wedding party but we did pay for the bridesmaids' dresses, the groomsmen/ushers' tuxes, and the maid of honor's flight from San Diego. I think that was much more appreciated than sticking them with the bill but getting a gift.

I can't remember if we paid for the tuxes for the dads or not (I think so?) but I know for a fact we didn't cover the mom's dresses. Oops.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Side bar: As guest or participant in so many weddings, spanning several decades, it's notable the changes in wedding customs I've observed. Involves numerous things: structure, mood, details and length of the ceremony, attire (not just "what's in style," but changes in formality of bridegroom and wedding party — seems to have gotten less formal and more thematic), organization of receptions. And so on.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Hey, guys - anyone want to do Friday OTs this week? I'll be traveling for work.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So, is having you in the wedding good luck or bad luck? Are they still married.

Mine: Seven weddings, two divorces, four still together, one status unknown*.

* Status unknown is college GF's little sister's wedding. Like I would know the status of that although I'd guess divorced. o_O

Only one wedding that I haven't kept up with the couple but outside them all are still married. I must be the good luck.

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I might be able to do a secondary FOT this week, but I can't commit as primary-OT backup person. I have a couple of topics that might work, I could PM them. I want your formal approval first. :)

Of course! You know I'm always game. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: cyclones500

Help Support Us

Become a patron