Free Throw Distraction - CA

Cyke

Jun 22, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Let me first start off by saying that the Cyclone Alley leaders don't get much love on this board. I do agree with some of the things said, but in all, I think CA is doing "okay." Handing out replica jerseys this year was pretty neat in my opinion. It's a tough job to keep our rowdy students happy and organized and I give them credit in making CA more organized than a lot of other student sections in the country. Other than the CA leaders always getting the front row, I only have one other complaint: the free throw distractions.

1. What We Do.
The left to right and hand waving just doesnt do it for me. Especially because we've got people waving those giant Toyota signs too late. If you want to distract a shooter, you make the sudden movement a second before he actually shoots; not while the ball is on his fingertips.
By the time the action is made, the shooter has released the shot already. The "sit-down stand-up" out of time outs is the one thing I like that we do. However, again, we do it just a tad too late every time. The overall crowd noise is probably still the most effective tool we have. On sound-off a hawk fan said he saw the rim actually shaking when Gesell was shooting those late game FTs. I can't imagine shooting with the ground beneath me vibrating.

-on a side note, the guy who yells "quiet please" during our FTs is just as distracting to our own players as our crowd is to theirs. If our player already has the ball in his hands and is about to shoot, DO NOT YELL QUIET PLEASE. You're just like those kids from the last couple years who yell "It's in the hole" from the balcony. I like the idea and the sign. Just do it early enough not to play mind games with our shooter.

2. What Other Teams Do.

• Big Heads - Our students aren't keeping up with the sheer number of heads that some other schools have. I think we could if we really wanted to. We tried it, but it seems like we kind of gave up. It's not really a distraction anyway. The giant Georges is still great and gets plenty of camera attention for games on TV.

• Long Balloons or Foam Sticks - These can be distracting if used correctly. It's a neat switch-up but it isn't any more effective than hands and arms.

• Spirals/Hypnosis - I'm sure most of you have seen the large circular spirals twirled behind the hoop by schools like Clemson. I think it's an interesting and original idea, but the effectiveness is questionable if it's only a handful of students doing it. A sea of spirals could be really cool.

• One Guy - From Duke's speedo guy, to Dayton's shirtless fat guy, to Utah State's Wild Bill, the single man distraction can really get into a shooter's head. (Watch the linked videos; especially the speedo guy). I think if used sparingly (3 or 4 times a game) this could be a great way to make even the best shooters miss. We have the perfect person to do this. I'll get to that later.

3. What We Could Do.

• Field of Background Motion - The first suggestion I'm going to make is scientifically proven to lesson an opposing team's FT percentage. A scientist did the study that showed by making the background look like it was swaying, the shooter's eye would overcorrect and miss. Instead of rapidly waving our arms, this calls for SLOWLY waving the entire section's arms at the same time back and forth like waves in the water. The Dallas Mavericks and Notre Dame both have done this. Here is the article from the NY Times. A very god read.

• Our version of one guy - It's so obvious. Jared Brackens in his fat woman costume is the perfect candidate to do this for us. The entire student section sits down and lets Jared do his thing. Why not give it a try?

• Sound - Science shows that sound distractions can actually be more effective than visual ones. (Here's a quick study by sports science.) Basically your brain can filter visual distractions but is unable to filter audial ones. Sounds can speed up your heart rate and physically change the motion of your shot. I've never heard Hilton louder than when Gesell was shooting those free throws. Hilton's decibel levels have been measured around 110 in the past, but I am certain we topped that last Friday. An organized scream could really affect a shooter. My suggestion is that Cy or a CA leader orchestrates the entire crowd from the sidelines. The crowd gets completely silent, but when the orchestrator raises his arms, everyone screams. When he lowers them, its back to silence. A series of random screams once or twice a second the entire time a shooter is preparing to shoot could be extremely distracting. I also like the sound of the siren that the band does sometimes and could see that being really annoying if the entire crowd was in on it too.

• Colored Signs - This one is easy. Prior to the game, CA will hand out dual-sided colored posters (preferably 11x17 but could be as small as 8.5x11 to save money). One side is cardinal, the other gold. Just blank posters. (I hate to say this, but here's a link to what UI did for a national anthem awhile back for an example.) During a FT attempt, one color will be held up by CA, periodically the orchestrator will give the cue to quickly flip the poster to the other side. It will flash the colors back and forth. I've never seen anyone do this before and it could be ISU's own original FT distraction.

Here are a couple other links to some sites about free throw distractions

Utah State Fans - Fine Art Of The Free Throw Distraction - Photos - SI.com

15 Impressive Free Throw Distractions

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions!

Reactions: BBHMagic

dbrulet

Oct 11, 2013
Omaha
Why "one guy"...like speedo guy? Why not a bunch of hot chicks in crazy colored bikinis? I bet that would work a lot better to distract a FT shooter. Just stating the obvious but why not? Just trying to be original here!

JustRedman

Jul 10, 2009
Gilbert
I still think going bonkers is the way to go. Even for Gessell's free throws at the end of the game it appeared that the CA Toyota signs were still being held up. Hopefully it just said "Go Absolutely Ape-****".

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Those are some good ideas..I like the ones that utilize psychology. I mean, with Facebook as open as it is, shouldn't be hard to get photos of individual players' mothers, etc.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
A few years ago CA gave out balloons, and everyone squeaked them while the team was shooting free throws. Now THAT was an annoying sound!

Probably why we haven't seen balloons again.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I thought the curly haired girl from Cyclone Alley would be annoying enough to make anyone miss..

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
the best for me is loud noise and the "woo" they said while they all raised their hands up. i'd never seen that before and thought it was awesome.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Wow this is quite the thesis. You deserve an official student section PhD for this.

Although your love for watching guys in Speeds is somewhat disturbing.

(Watch the linked videos; especially the speedo guy)

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Why "one guy"...like speedo guy? Why not a bunch of hot chicks in crazy colored bikinis? I bet that would work a lot better to distract a FT shooter. Just stating the obvious but why not? Just trying to be original here!

CA strippers. We all need to sacrifice to get a win.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
the best for me is loud noise and the "woo" they said while they all raised their hands up. i'd never seen that before and thought it was awesome.

They've been doing that one for a couple of years, they typically only do it out of time-outs because all of the students are already sitting.

I think the simultaneous arm motion is a good distraction if it is done correctly. Like somebody else said, it needs to be done as the shooter around the middle of the shooters motion because that is when they are really focusing on the rim. As of now, CA does it after the ball is leaving his hands so it doesn't really have any effect. When they do time it right it seems to be much more effective.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
I met with a couple CAC members last year to try to "better" CA. On the topic of free-throw distractions, I said that if they stick with this arm waving thing then it must be done sooner (like you said). I also brought up those hypnotizing spiral things that you mentioned, and said that they really only need to supply half of what you would guess, since they could just move the spirals to whichever end the opposing team is shooting on..

Obviously they didn't listen to these recommendations, or didn't like them (though I'm pretty sure the 2 people I met with aren't on the committee anymore).

I love the idea of having an organized scream after silence when they are shooting. And not just a yell, but a high pitched scream, screaming bloody murder. I feel like that would distract me quite a bit.

Cyke

Jun 22, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I honestly had typed out "we could also find a very 'fit' young female cyclone fan. Have her wear a bikini and blow kisses or something of that nature." But i figured someone may say it's degrading. The fact is....thats true. You know what else is true? A major distraction to young male college athletes is sex appeal. I'm sure we could find a young gal that is a big enough fan to use her magic on opposing teams.

side note. can you imagine curly-haired girl in a bikini.

2791911.jpg

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Did someone say speedo guy?

basketball_speedo_guy.gif

CloneCone10

Dec 15, 2013
I honestly had typed out "we could also find a very 'fit' young female cyclone fan. Have her wear a bikini and blow kisses or something of that nature." But i figured someone may say it's degrading. The fact is....thats true. You know what else is true? A major distraction to young male college athletes is sex appeal. I'm sure we could find a young gal that is a big enough fan to use her magic on opposing teams.

side note. can you imagine curly-haired girl in a bikini.

View attachment 23699

You have a daughter you can volunteer?

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
I don't know why it has always bugged me, but I whole-heartedly agree with one of you points. They are always a split-second too late when moving their arms. The ball has already left the shooters hand. You can't distract the ball. They need to antisipate the shot and move to one side earlier. /my rant

cyclone22

Sep 14, 2011
Ames, IA

• Colored Signs - This one is easy. Prior to the game, CA will hand out dual-sided colored posters (preferably 11x17 but could be as small as 8.5x11 to save money). One side is cardinal, the other gold. Just blank posters. (I hate to say this, but here's a link to what UI did for a national anthem awhile back for an example.) During a FT attempt, one color will be held up by CA, periodically the orchestrator will give the cue to quickly flip the poster to the other side. It will flash the colors back and forth. I've never seen anyone do this before and it could be ISU's own original FT distraction.

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions!
I vote this, right before the FT, the signs will reveal a giant fred hoiberg face. I know if dreamy suddenly appeared to watch my freethrows I'd likely airball both attempts <3

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
Field of Background Motion
This actually a good one! I saw one where the Dallas Mavericks fans stood with a 22.5° tilt and remained motionless. It worked. To my surprise it worked.
They were standing kind of like this...
////////////////
//////////// //
///////////////
/// /////////// maybe a little bit more of a lean, but it was cool.

Help Support Us

Become a patron