"Free Money" and no one cares

jparker22

May 1, 2006
Ames
The first Bulls player since Scottie Pippen in 1990 to participate in the event, Thomas was quoted in Tuesday's editions of the Chicago Tribune as saying: "I'm just going to go out there, get my check and call it a day."
When asked if being around some of the game's greats could be beneficial for a rookie, he responded, "I'm just into the free money. That's it. I'll just do whatever when I get out there."
-Here is a link to the full story on ESPNCOM

He retracted those statments today as you can read in the aticle of course he did after the $10,000 fine, which I am sure will be appealed by the union and ultimately overturend.

Tyrus Thomas, nice attitude you just said outloud what we thought most of you were thinking. I am a less than casual fan of the luege since Clyde Drexler retired, but does the average fan know any of these guys if they don't play on thier favorite team?

2007 SPRITE SLAM DUNK COMPETITORS
Participant, TeamPos.Ht.Wt.
Gerald Green, Boston F 6-8 200
Dwight Howard, Orlando C 6-11 265
Nate Robinson, New York G 5-9 180
Tyrus Thomas, Chicago F 6-9 215

-Beating a dead horse until our guys start signing LOI today.

Cyfan322

Mar 31, 2006
Ames
Only four are going to participate in the dunk contest? I am pulling for Dwight Howard. He is a beast. I think that if LeBron were allowed to participate he would easily take the competition.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Only four are going to participate in the dunk contest? I am pulling for Dwight Howard. He is a beast. I think that if LeBron were allowed to participate he would easily take the competition.

Only certain players are allowed to participate in this? Well that's just silly.

Reason # 79 that the NBA isn't all that and a bag of chips.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
I know all of those guys. How can you not know Tyus Thomas, Nate Robinson, or Dwight Howard?

Thomas was a stud at LSU last year, Robinson was a stud at Washington, and Dwight Howard went straight to the pros and is possibly the best PF in the Eastern Conference.

I guess if the names aren't Dominique Wilkins, Michael Jordan, Spud Webb, or Shawn Kemp then nobody else is important.

Cyfan322

Mar 31, 2006
Ames
I didn't say that I don't know who these guys are. I am just saying that it would be nice if they allowed more players to compete in the dunk competition. Also, it would be great to see what players like LeBron and Vince Carter could do in a dunk contest.

jparker22

May 1, 2006
Ames
I am pretty certain that LeBron and others are allowed to participate just chose not to. That is the problem with this and the other contests. No big names. They will kill this thing sooner or later, I can't imagine that they will get a big tv audience for this roster. The NBA should look to NASCAR on how to run an Allstar event. Stern used to have the recipie but I think he lost it. Now he is cooking unleavened bread instead of the chocolate cake he used to make.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
Vince Carter, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Julius Erving, and Dominique Wilkins will also be judging the competition. They should have the judges dunk.

clonez

Sep 14, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
dwight howard is too big and his dunks won't look as cool, same as amare a couple years ago, shoulda got a smaller player to do it

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
Who would win on our team? Wes or Rahshon? or Jiri, oh that's right, Jiri is too scared to dunk. Does Dodie have enough hops to do something cool while dunking it.

My pick -> Wesley Johnson, he has better handle on the ball when dunking.

If it was a contest of a dunk on a rebound while the ball was in the air. Rahshon would win that.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Who would win on our team? Wes or Rahshon? or Jiri, oh that's right, Jiri is too scared to dunk. Does Dodie have enough hops to do something cool while dunking it.

My pick -> Wesley Johnson, he has better handle on the ball when dunking.

If it was a contest of a dunk on a rebound while the ball was in the air. Rahshon would win that.

Well judging only from what we have seen from the two people I would say hands down Rahshon, I am sure Wes has some nice dunks but we have seen far more and better from rahshon the last couple years

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Statements like that are just one more reason I find it hard to follow the NBA. It almost always seems like I'm watching a bunch of individuals that just go out for a pay check each night and never put any HEART into the game.
I know that's a bit of a generalization, but for me it just seems to be the truth.
I guess I really should get to some Rockets games and see if it's better in person?

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Don't waste your time, the games are actually WORSE in person, if that's possible. Absolutely no enthusiasm from the crowd...it's 50 times worse than Carver Hawkeye. I'm sure the playoffs are better but playoff crowds are better in every sport.

bferin

Jul 14, 2006
people still watch the NBA??
Ok that is all I had to say nothing of value to add :biggrin9gp:

Hahahaha so true.....How about they show the Wes Johnson dunk over Bruce.....now that was a sick dunk....

NBA sucks. Plain and simple. As if this isn't another sign that NBA players don't play for pride or for the love of the game. Just a bunch of punk a$$ wannabe tough guys who think that they are God's gift to man.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I live in Baton Rouge and am an LSU supporter. I have been around Tyrus and he always struck me as a quality kid.

His story is pretty inspirational. He never really played much in HS until his senior year. He grew late (even while at LSU). He didn't get much interest in recruiting except from North Texas. The only reason he ended up at LSU is that they lost another kid during recruiting and were scrambling late in the process to fill a slot. He didn't start last season as a starter and was not really expected to be an impact player but really busted his tail and made the most of his chances. And by season's end everyone in the country knew his name. Bottom line is that the kid is a hard worker and is not one of these spoiled prima donna athletes that have had people kissing their asses since 6th grade.

He has really been blasted over this thing. It's too bad because he is giving his winnings to his HS (something that he was going to do anyway...not just a PR move after all this blew up in his face). I think he will measure his words a little more carefully in the future...or just keep his mouth shut (as most of these guys do) and just spew out the regular cliche's.