Former Drake Bulldog Yesefu transferring to KU

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Show me where I said he couldn’t play in the Big 12. I said he won’t be all big 12. There is a big difference. You also can’t say he isn’t a volume shooter. He needs the ball in his hands to be effective. His usage rate is 27%. That’s insane. If he is getting that usage at KU, he will put up some stats but they won’t win. Once again, the only reason he is in anyone’s radar here is because he played at Drake.
You said if Yesefu was playing major 2nd unit minutes KU won’t be competing for conference titles. So that pretty much means you don’t think he can play more than spot minutes for an upper division team.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Why did he leave Drake?
IMO with the new transfer rules this will be the new norm.
  • We'll see better mid-major players jump to P5 to gain exposure and play against higher competition.
  • We'll see the best players on weaker P5 teams jump to stronger P5 teams to gain exposure from playing meaningful games in Feb/Mar.
It is really just a continuation of the AAU environment and more recently the explosion of prep school teams. Kids want to play with great players, against great players in visible games.

Reactions: clonehome

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It's not upside down. It's just expanded. You may not get a recruit now. But in a few years, that relationship you built with a kid might matter when the program he chose turns out not to be what he envisioned or was told.

Also, some kids just flat out develop a year or two later than other players their age. They take the best of the meager offers they had and then a year or two later they are way better athletes.

I love that players are having such freedom. If a few flakes give up and try something else before really giving a serious effort, that's fine. It's a small price to pay to have the ranks of the ncaa tourney-contending teams bolstered with better players.

Off-season roster building is a spectator sport in the NFL and the NBA. The ncaa is wise to allow more of this and would be wise to continue use to do so. It just adds months to the calendar in which the public is talking about your sport. More, more, more.

Plus, if the ncaa wanted to lessen the power of incoming recruits, it should work to increase the power of established players.

IMO with the one area that your are overlooking is the academic mission of college athletics.

With the NIL legislation and new freedom to transfer the NCAA should enact stiffer rules regarding passing grade credit hours per semester and minimum GPA per semester to be eligible the following semester. Also have annual requirements for credit hours completed and GPA.

The NCAA needs to work with Congress to eliminate the NBA age restrictions and force the NBA to implement a minor league system. Have a 2 round HS only player draft. IMO that would provide a basketball career path for top 75-100 players who want to focus on basketball development. Basically, have a basketball minor league similar to baseball.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Show me where I said he couldn’t play in the Big 12. I said he won’t be all big 12. There is a big difference. You also can’t say he isn’t a volume shooter. He needs the ball in his hands to be effective. His usage rate is 27%. That’s insane. If he is getting that usage at KU, he will put up some stats but they won’t win. Once again, the only reason he is in anyone’s radar here is because he played at Drake.

Drake needed Yesefu to be a dominant ballhander once Penn and Hemphill went down. Look at Drake's roster at the end of the year. A lot of good motion players, but no other guys who could get their own shot.

The fact that a bench player could step in and be a dominant offensive player during Drake's meaningful games in Feb/Mar is a credit to Yesefu and to DeVries.

KU always recruits elite talent, so I would be VERY surprised if Yesefu is as ball dominant at KU. Yesefu is a Big12 quality player- whether he starts or is a key bench player time will tell.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
[
You said if Yesefu was playing major 2nd unit minutes KU won’t be competing for conference titles. So that pretty much means you don’t think he can play more than spot minutes for an upper division team.

Correct. Last time I checked, playing spot minutes in the big 12 is still playing in the big 12. I have no problem standing by what I said. If he is playing major minutes for KU, they won’t be competing for the conference title.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Im now even more confused why yesefu was not getting more minutes or starting for Drake.

Yesefu was hurt all last year and didn’t have a chance to practice so he started the year behind. Penn is a much better point and came close to winning POY until his injury derailed that. He wasn’t replacing Penn until he had to. Wilkins at the 2 was shooting 50 percent from 3, and playing nasty defense, before the COVID pause. He shooting percentage declined but played even better defensively. He wasn’t replacing Wilkins either. Did he show enough to replace the two forwards (Until Hemphill got hurt)? He would have played out of position.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
IMO with the one area that your are overlooking is the academic mission of college athletics.

With the NIL legislation and new freedom to transfer the NCAA should enact stiffer rules regarding passing grade credit hours per semester and minimum GPA per semester to be eligible the following semester. Also have annual requirements for credit hours completed and GPA.

The NCAA needs to work with Congress to eliminate the NBA age restrictions and force the NBA to implement a minor league system. Have a 2 round HS only player draft. IMO that would provide a basketball career path for top 75-100 players who want to focus on basketball development. Basically, have a basketball minor league similar to baseball.
The NCAA already has requirements for eligibility in place that are based around academic performance. There is no evidence out there that leads me to believe that those are not being followed or that players are playing but not performing academically.

And neither the NCAA nor Congress has any right to demand that the NBA change their age restrictions or to implement some sort of minor league system more than the G-League that the NBA already runs.

I think I have a lot more things that I would rather Congress be focused on fixing than that.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
[

Correct. Last time I checked, playing spot minutes in the big 12 is still playing in the big 12. I have no problem standing by what I said. If he is playing major minutes for KU, they won’t be competing for the conference title.
Kansas finished 2nd to the national title winner while fielding one of their weakest teams in the last 15 years. They will always be competing for the conference title.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The NCAA already has requirements for eligibility in place that are based around academic performance. There is no evidence out there that leads me to believe that those are not being followed or that players are playing but not performing academically.

And neither the NCAA nor Congress has any right to demand that the NBA change their age restrictions or to implement some sort of minor league system more than the G-League that the NBA already runs.

I think I have a lot more things that I would rather Congress be focused on fixing than that.
Those are pretty lazy takes.

I am saying academic requirements should be increased with semester to semester credit hour & gpa requirements. I am sure schools and NCAA are adhering to rules. Just as coaches expect continually improvement on the court, the NCAA should also expect more in the classroom! How many Big12 men's basketball players who play 20+mpg are on Big12 all-academic team?

I would agree Congress has much more important things to concern themselves with. But they are interjecting themselves in NIL issue. So dealing with critical national issues, isn't a criteria for Congress in addressing issues.

Congress should address the NBA structure if they are going to address NIL as the issues are 2 sides of the same coin!! If top 50-100 kids could go to NBA after HS, they would have opportunity to make much more than with NIL.

The G-League has started down the route a signing HS players, I believe they took 4 players this season. But it should be formalized with a HS draft. If MLB pays kids drafted in first 5 rounds million+ $ signing bonuses- just think what they would pay Williamson, Cunningham or Mobely? Plus the shoe companies would be all over them

Also, most NBA stadiums are built with public money-so the public does have an interest.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Kansas finished 2nd to the national title winner while fielding one of their weakest teams in the last 15 years. They will always be competing for the conference title.

I never said they wouldn’t be competing for a conference championship. I said if Yesufu was playing major minutes (playing 25-30 minutes) for KU they wouldn’t be. He won’t be able to carry a team in the Big 12 like he did in the MVC. Some are acting like he is the second coming of Derrick Rose. He is a fine player but he isn’t a star for Kansas. He will be a good 2nd teamer for KU.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Three players transferred out of Kansas this year and will filter down into programs you are calling "juco". We are expecting a fourth in the next week. Do you think I enjoyed watching former KU Top 25 recruit Quentin Grimes lead freaking Houston to a Final Four this year? This is a two way street, not one way. Spare me.
OK, so the Adidas cash game has been exposed and now it’s harder for Kansas to get elite high school players, and some of the guys that didn’t pan out are moving down. That’s not a threat to the college game. But the Adidas cash and getting top flight transfers with no sit out is. So what needs to be spared?

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006

Good post. Your last paragraph seems to be what Kevin Ollie is starting up. College basketball will lose a lot though if this takes off. It would suck if a kid like Hunter did this and we never got to see him play in college. But baseball does it so it makes sense that basketball would. A big signing bonus out of high school would be a big draw. And it would be above board rather than having to hide the Adidas and Nike payments.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'd much rather have Bryce Thompson than Yesefu. This has been a tough off season for Kansas

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
OK, so the Adidas cash game has been exposed and now it’s harder for Kansas to get elite high school players, and some of the guys that didn’t pan out are moving down. That’s not a threat to the college game. But the Adidas cash and getting top flight transfers with no sit out is. So what needs to be spared?
The college hoops game has survived massive betting scandals of the 50s, the complete domination of the sport for more than a decade in the 60s/70s by a professional UCLA roster, the expansion of the tourney, etc... They will continue to tweak rules and will eventually begrudgingly make some changes to allow some of the billions of dollars to flow down to the players (so long as it isn't the ncaa pocket that it flows from). Some players transferring school or getting some cash from a shoe company isn't going to break the game.

The game was just fine before the Adidas situation came to light so it was obviously not a threat to the game. Transfers being eligible immediately isn't going to threaten the game other than that some casual fans who don't like to have to put much effort into remembering who plays for their team might get frustrated.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron