Forbes Article - U of Iowa in deep financial trouble

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Hey, AC, you forgot to check their credit report. It says they have a history of not paying contractors. You need to jack that rate up to about 24%.
That's credit card rate territory. Probably need to back it off to 23.5%

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Can't wait till next year when the little light bulb comes on in the empty heads of Hawkkk fans, when they finally figure out why ticket prices went up so much and then wonder why there are so many empty seats in Kinnick.
That, combined with them having to endure watching the Cyclones win the Big 12 and make it into the playoffs. Hok fans are already getting their asterisks ready to describe our upcoming success.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That's credit card rate territory. Probably need to back it off to 23.5%
Bartas next phone call

Barta, “Hello, I was wanting to raise the credit limit for the Iowa athletic department.”
Visa, “No problem Gary, we can move that 10k limit to 20k no trouble, does that sound sufficient?”
Barta,” can we go a little higher, like maybe 80 million?”

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
It was my understanding that all borrowing goes through the Regents...

I think that's the normal way is to issue bonds through the regents. But I believe that the PAC12 was going to issues loans to universities so maybe the Big10 will do the same? I don't know how or why the conferences would have that much in reserves to be able to do that, but who knows?

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
JP said in his letter that the University is not allowed to borrow money to cover operating expenses. How would Iowa be able to justify doing this when JP says ISU is not allowed to borrow for operating losses.

The solution that might work is the conference borrowing money on future broadcast rights revenues and treat it as a line of credit for individual schools, the problem is there are only a few years left on the agreements, and are we sure there will be football and basketball in 2021-2022?

Reactions: CyBobby

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
JP said in his letter that the University is not allowed to borrow money to cover operating expenses. How would Iowa be able to justify doing this when JP says ISU is not allowed to borrow for operating losses.

The solution that might work is the conference borrowing money on future broadcast rights revenues and treat it as a line of credit for individual schools, the problem is there are only a few years left on the agreements, and are we sure there will be football and basketball in 2021-2022?

You're probably right. But wow, does that handicap them going forward.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018

Agree 100%. I see Barta going to the Saudis and hocking (no pun intended) the stadium for a big loan.

Reactions: CyBobby

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Debt to income ratio grows when interest rates are so low. So, these high debts come as no surprise. It'll be up to 'us', to bail them out. Either through taxes, increased spending on college football, or legislative bankruptcy (which in the end is still us through taxes and, inflation or recession)
Why would it grow when interest rates are low or decrease? True debt service coverage ratios = EBITDA÷ P&I will go up when interest rates decrease. Debt÷EBITDA (debt leverage ratio)will go up when you borrow more.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Barta has a buddy who is going to sue the school for 200 million, Barta will use the 75MM to cover the loss, give 50 mil to lawyers and 75 to his buddy. Hearing the name Mary Ferentz being thrown around.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
They've made it a point to say the won't get rid of wrestling and I don't think they will but their wrestling program and HWC are in serious trouble financially

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Pat Forde's column - not a good look for Gary Barta...

"On Monday, when Barta had a media zoom call to gloss right past the eliminated sports and move on to discussing football, he declared Friday “one of the most difficult days of my career.” Sounded good, but how difficult did he really make it for himself?

"According to athletes who were in the room for the announcement, Barta’s role lasted about two minutes. He spoke and then fled, leaving the details to his staff and the tears to the athletes.

"What a leader. What accountability. What a wreck of a room Barta left behind."

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Pat Forde's column - not a good look for Gary Barta...

"On Monday, when Barta had a media zoom call to gloss right past the eliminated sports and move on to discussing football, he declared Friday “one of the most difficult days of my career.” Sounded good, but how difficult did he really make it for himself?

"According to athletes who were in the room for the announcement, Barta’s role lasted about two minutes. He spoke and then fled, leaving the details to his staff and the tears to the athletes.

"What a leader. What accountability. What a wreck of a room Barta left behind."

Meanwhile in JP’s office

giphy.gif

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
They sure as hell better not be.
As I understand the legal structure, each Regents University is a separate legal entity managed and controlled by the board of regents. The board of regents technically don't borrow money. The legal entity for each university is directly on the hook through bond financing.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Help Support Us

Become a patron