For the Music Folks: Leonid and Friends

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
This is a Russian band that does mostly cover tunes of rock brass bands of the late 1960's/1970's/1980. But for any cover band, they are at a level I have never seen before. They might even be better than the originals. Fantastic musicians! Their cover of Vehicle got a shout-out from Jim Peterik. Enjoy...

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I went live to these guys late last year with my wife.

They were one of the better shows I've ever been to. No gimmicks or production, really, just live music played by guys who are excellent at their instruments and understand/appreciate the source material.

Closest thing that you're ever going to get to seeing those brass-driven late 60s and early 70s bands (Chicago; some Blood, Sweat, and Tears; and some Earth, Wind, and Fire) at the height of their powers.

I miss live music. :(

Reactions: Acylum and jbhtexas

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This is a Russian band that does mostly cover tunes of rock brass bands of the late 1960's/1970's/1980. But for any cover band, they are at a level I have never seen before. They might even be better than the originals. Fantastic musicians! Their cover of Vehicle got a shout-out from Jim Peterik. Enjoy...

Makes me miss basketball pep band

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

I saw these guys back in '18 or '19. If you like old Chicago they are fantastic!

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I saw these guys back in '18 or '19. If you like old Chicago they are fantastic!

Chicago broke up after Chicago XI and Terry Kath's tragic death, as far as I am concerned.

And more-or-less as far as this cover band is concerned, too.

:)

Reactions: TXCyclones

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I started listening to the first and was 50/50 on whether the lyrics would be in russian. He has a really good take on the original vocals.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I started listening to the first and was 50/50 on whether the lyrics would be in russian. He has a really good take on the original vocals.

He's good, but that's the biggest hang up for me. The instrumentals are awesome, but I miss Kath's vocals the most. Not enough soul from this guy, which isn't personal, just not the same. It's kind of hard to infuse and embody that 60s and 70s soul when you're from Russia.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
My all time favorite Chicago song:

The guitar player is absolutely shredding, and it's very Terry Kath-esque, but it's almost too clean. Still really fun to listen to.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I discovered these guys last year. After listening to them for a while, I found a sort of documentary about them that detailed how hard it was to enjoy rock music in Soviet Russia when a lot of these guys in the band were growing up. If you even knew about rock music, it was through someone else's pirated, low quality record and there was no such thing as an electric guitar to be found in Russia. Many would-be musicians made their own guitars and one of things you needed could be found in a phone booth. So it was not uncommon in Russia to try to use a phone booth and found it was not working because someone had removed that part to make a guitar.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Weird you brought this up, I’ve been addicted to watching these guys on YouTube for several weeks now. They are so good.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron