Football Coaching Staff

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I just hope that we can hold onto Herman for more than a year or two.

One thing I found interesting, and which CPR has stressed, was that he built his coaching team around recruiting--and even Wally Burnham has said that he expects to spend a lot of time in Florida recruiting.

Of course, I assume he'll keep his house there. :wink:

I hear what you're saying, but if he's being whisked away to be a head coach somewhere, I won't be too upset about it...

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
ISU recruiting class rank - 72 (4*-1, 3*-10)
Rice recruiting class rank - 78 (4*-0, 3*-3)

ISU recruiting class rank - 62 (4*-1, 3*-6)
Rice recruiting class rank - 113 (4*-0, 3*-1)

ISU recruiting class rank - 60 (4*-1, 3*-9)
Rice recruiting class rank - 100 (4*-0, 3*-3)

3* or above ISU 28 Rice 7 - thats a big difference, of course Texas signs that many each year and their 4* or above!!!!!

Now, just based on recruiting services comparisons, there's a lot of difference in the talent between ISU and Rice. Actually, the big difference in talent will be on the offensive side of the ball - Herman has a lot to work/play with and variations-gadget plays because our offensive players have a lot of diverse talent!!!!!

Burnham's got his hands full in making this defense respectable. That said, i think his coaches brought in have a great background in coaching. The talent in the defense will be in schemes and their ability to actually coach up players. We have some talent on the defensive side, but not enough to make it a stout defense. The rest will be in schemes and adjustments.

Lastly, regarding special teams, obviously this coach understands the importance of special teams as he's overseeing this facet of the game much like Frank Beamer, if only we have similar successes!!!!!!

Thanks for doing this. There is more of a gap than I thought concerning the last few years. That is good considering those guys have seen playing time, or will be seeing more this year.

That actually helps give me some more faith that Herman's schemes will translate to the Big XII because he does have some more talent to work with.

Still concerned by Special Teams but if we break our now almost 15 year streak without a kickoff return for a TD I'll be very, very happy. Some better punt coverage would be nice...

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
While Bolt and MacFarland were questionable at least they had some D1 experience some of the position coaches came from average at best 1AA jobs. When you line the position coaches up on the 2 staffs this new staff beats them hands down. While the younger Burnham and Messingham were at 1AA schools so were Fountain and Rogers, then add to that Koontz had never even been a fulltime assistant. He was a grad assistant at Texas and Auburn. Rainey and Pelton came from small D1 schools UAB and Troy similar to Bray, Bliel and Pope. The big difference is those 3 guys have impressive resumes at places like Pitt, Alabama and A&M. The Peterson hire on paper looks very similar to the Ash hire. Good young coach on a staff that had just been let go. I always felt the Boulware hire looked like the best coming from Utah and I believe he had some other good stops.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
With the new S&C program Iowa State should hopefully be one step ahead versus one step behind. It sucks right now for the players because they are not used to this type of conditioning. I respect what they do in the work out room, but they will see results if they just stick with it which will make a happier team when you see the results. Nothing comes easy boys get used to it especially after college. Just put your head down and go I have faith in you. Also, quitters never win so go win!!!!