Favorite downhill ski gear (jackets/pants)

OscarBerkshire

Jul 14, 2022
Waterloo
Personally I have some thin snow pants I bought for $30 from dicks with long underwear and gym shorts underneath them. For the top, whatever cheap hoodie is on the top of my drawer goes underneath the typical north face jacket you’ve been able to buy at dicks or scheels that you can also wear out around town. Don’t need any other custom wear imo, why buy something for hundreds of dollars you’re only gonna use a couple times a year?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Personally I have some thin snow pants I bought for $30 from dicks with long underwear and gym shorts underneath them. For the top, whatever cheap hoodie is on the top of my drawer goes underneath the typical north face jacket you’ve been able to buy at dicks or scheels that you can also wear out around town. Don’t need any other custom wear imo, why buy something for hundreds of dollars you’re only gonna use a couple times a year?

Because cold and/or wet is a bad time on the mountain even for a hour. You get what you pay for in this realm.

OscarBerkshire

Jul 14, 2022
Waterloo
Because cold and/or wet is a bad time on the mountain even for a hour. You get what you pay for in this realm.
I mean all the stuff I just listed is waterproof, with good layering underneath for warmth. And when you’re skiing hopefully you’re generating more body heat than usual. Again, no need to pay so much.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I mean all the stuff I just listed is waterproof, with good layering underneath for warmth. And when you’re skiing hopefully you’re generating more body heat than usual. Again, no need to pay so much.

I’ve been skiing and snowboarding for 35 years. I’ve been through all the phases of spending power from kid that didn’t care about being cold to broke college student, to having a job and some extra money to being able to afford Norrona. You don’t know what better is until you get it and in that world there is always better.

Same goes for equipment. Constant innovation.

OscarBerkshire

Jul 14, 2022
Waterloo
I’ve been skiing and snowboarding for 35 years. I’ve been through all the phases of spending power from kid that didn’t care about being cold to broke college student, to having a job and some extra money to being able to afford Norrona. You don’t know what better is until you get it and in that world there is always better.

Same goes for equipment. Constant innovation.
Well maybe that’s the difference I’m only just over a year removed from broke college student and I really don’t care about being cold ‍lol. a flask up on the mountain helps with warmth too ;)

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Well maybe that’s the difference I’m only just over a year removed from broke college student and I really don’t care about being cold ‍lol. a flask up on the mountain helps with warmth too ;)

That makes sense lol. Old folks get cold flask or not. :mccaffery:

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Get a ninjasuit for your base layer. I have one and it is fantastic in cold weather. Prevents snow and breeze getting against bare skin. I have one and love it. Will get a second if the need ever arises.

Reactions: dahliaclone

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
686 is making some fun and interesting stuff. For value performance, I have always liked Obermeyer. I have a quite nice Spyder jacket and pants that is just amazing. They sometimes can be found on sale. I get a lot of stuff from Level9 , Sierra , and Backcountry.

Reactions: dahliaclone

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Mammut has treated me well the last 4-5 years.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
FYI I ended up going with the Alpha Jacket 3.0 from Helly Hansen. I wouldn't have touched it but found it on sale for basically 50% off so pulled the trigger.