F1 2022 Discussion

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I thought Red Bull, at least Horner, was in support of Andretti coming on board. Maybe Horner just said that because Toto Wolff is so against it.

As I was doing some searching today, I came across some snippets from Dec. 14th that I hadn't seen before and that is Ford is showing interest of getting back to F1 at least in some capacity.

Not sure how good that link is, but just google "Ford return to F1" and a lot of places are reporting it. I wonder if that has anything to do with GM jumping on with Andretti.

At this point,, I think it would be a bad look for F1 to deny Andretti a spot. F1 recently said they were interested in adding new Manufacturers, so this seems another challenge F1 set, that Andretti was able to pull off. Beyond that, it would jus be that the powers that be don't like Andretti. As AgronAlum posted above while I was posting. There is the Euro Elitism involved.

I had seen that Ford rumor before I heard anything about GM. I was really surprised to see GM show up. I could still see Ford going after Hondas IP and working a deal with Red Bull somehow.

I wonder if Andretti is still heavily planning on entry with that 200 million dollar 575,000 sq foot facility he broke ground on last month. Is it feasible to even run a team out of the US instead of Europe where everyone else is at?

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I had seen that Ford rumor before I heard anything about GM. I was really surprised to see GM show up. I could still see Ford going after Hondas IP and working a deal with Red Bull somehow.

I wonder if Andretti is still heavily planning on entry with that 200 million dollar 575,000 sq foot facility he broke ground on last month. Is it feasible to even run a team out of the US instead of Europe where everyone else is at?

I wouldn't think so. I mean you could say the headquarters is in the US, but the logistics of it simply wouldn't be cost effective. With so many races being in Europe (or the immediate vincinity) being 6+ hours behind the rest of the teams wouldn't work. Just imagine trying to ship extra/new parts. Most teams can throw them on a truck or a plane and have pieces in a couple of hours. If you had to bring stuff all way over from North America you'd be screwed. Transportation costs would be astronomical as well.

It's kind of like NASCAR, all the teams have ended up congregating in charlotte for a reason.

Reactions: DesertClone1

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
I think the mid to lower tier teams have to see the benefit in overall dollars for having a “real” American team and the American money that would come with it. A GM backed Andretti isn’t Haas. The top teams are making enough they don’t care, they just want to stay on top.

There’s also the Euro “elitism” involved where they don’t want the sport to be heavily American. I don’t blame them to a certain degree.
That is a large part of it, and I too don’t blame them.
I wouldn't think so. I mean you could say the headquarters is in the US, but the logistics of it simply wouldn't be cost effective. With so many races being in Europe (or the immediate vincinity) being 6+ hours behind the rest of the teams wouldn't work. Just imagine trying to ship extra/new parts. Most teams can throw them on a truck or a plane and have pieces in a couple of hours. If you had to bring stuff all way over from North America you'd be screwed. Transportation costs would be astronomical as well.

It's kind of like NASCAR, all the teams have ended up congregating in charlotte for a reason.

Interesting article

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

At a certain point most of the transportation costs are from race to race with would be static for everyone. A lot of the shared parts they could still get from the same suppliers or have on hand or possibly have at a facility somewhere centrally located. I’m not sure how many custom parts are sent on short notice vs having on hand or from a central supplier.

I honestly don’t know how many parts are actually made in house from week to week where it would be an issue.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I think I'd like to a lap around the 'Ring by myself, then one by a professional driver (may need a change of pants after that though).

A long time ago there was a article in Sports Illustrated(?) about driving it, the author had rented a fancy BMW drove it there paid his money watched all the fast cars go around then when running his laps got passed by a VW with 4 teenage girls in it. At least that was the story he told. LOL.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

Cost might be a bit higher, but in reality we have what, 6 races in the Americas now? Plus Japan, maybe China? And the Middle East/Azerbaijan races. It’s still Euro heavy for sure, but not like it was in the 80s. Plus, a lot of teams are based in the UK as it is. It’s not like that is Central Europe.

IMO, Andretti doesn’t break ground on that complex for his Indy and Formula E teams. It is all to prove the team is ready to compete in F1.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Cost might be a bit higher, but in reality we have what, 6 races in the Americas now? Plus Japan, maybe China? And the Middle East/Azerbaijan races. It’s still Euro heavy for sure, but not like it was in the 80s. Plus, a lot of teams are based in the UK as it is. It’s not like that is Central Europe.

IMO, Andretti doesn’t break ground on that complex for his Indy and Formula E teams. It is all to prove the team is ready to compete in F1.

Andretti’s know racing and Americans know that name. They would give Americans someone to root for if they are competitive. I mean how long are they going to allow Williams and the other team (not sure why the name escapes me) continue to not be competitive when a major racing name and major car brand wants to get involved and give it a go.

Edit. Haas was the other team I was thinking

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

I think I’ve read somewhere (back when Haas was starting up) that the teams all ship the cargo from race to race on the same planes. The only time they’ve on their own is at the start/end of the season and around the summer break. I think the biggest issue Andretti is going to have is finding the engineers and mechanics who have F1 experience. Those guys are almost all European with a few exceptions. Designing and building an Indycar and an F1 car are two very different things these days. Like someone else said there’s a reason all the NASCAR teams are set up in a 30 mile radius. Haas has setup operations on both sides of the Atlantic because of that. Once they get going though having staff in Europe and in Indianapolis might be a good thing handing work off between the teams you could potentially get more work done in a day.

Reactions: Clonefan94

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
More details on the Andretti/GM plan here. The nugget I didn't expect is the Red Bull/Ford engine program. Who knows how real that really is but it sounds like it's a 2026 development timeline. What I've taken out of this article is that GM doesn't have any immediate plans to have an F1 power unit developed they just plan on rebranding someone else's (maybe Honda) for the first few years.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Well it looks like it might be time to start that thread according to the peanut gallery. I'm good with that I'll get a few things together and get it going tonight.

Reactions: BooneCy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron