Excited about next year's team?

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Anyone have video or stat sheets for the incoming jucos? I know the names and positions, but really have no clue what any of them are capable of.

Trojbrown

Mar 23, 2012
West Des Moines, IA
Dorsey-Walker is going to surprise the heck out of you all. Witnessed him during the Capital City league and I can't wait for this kid to shine. Needs to put on more muscle though..he's too skinny. Good ball handler, has amazing reach & good jump shot. Very smooth. I'd compare him to a shorter Clyburn.

The Capital City league is usually where we can start to get an idea of who these incoming JUCO's will be and what kind of a role they will carve out. Will also let guys like Naz Long, Okoro and Gibson improve.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Niang definitely has initiated the offense and will likely do more of it in the future if MM or Bubu struggle. A lot of post players cannot guard him on the perimeter and he is a good passer.

Niang almost never brings the ball up the court. Just because whoever is running point hands him the ball at the top of the key does not mean he is a point forward. He is a skilled big man who can take big guys off the dribble, but you don't want him handling the ball in the open court.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Anyone have video or stat sheets for the incoming jucos? I know the names and positions, but really have no clue what any of them are capable of.

If you go to youtube there is a highlight clip of Hogue. Looks decent. Seen him described as one of the best wing scorers in JUCO, and a solid defender. Not much out there for Amardi. There is one clip of him with an impressive oop dunk. Looks like he's got some springs. Sorry, can't link right now.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I wouldn't rule out making the NCAA Tourney at all. The Big 12 will be bad next year.
I think the Big 12 might be a whole new level of bad next year. Might mean we would need to be 1 of the top 3 teams of the Big 12 next year to get into the tourney.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't SDW tweet something a couple months ago about how he has gained like 20 lbs of muscle since he came to ISU? If my memory is right and SDW has put on some muscle, you can all stop complaining about how skinny he is. If he is a good player and he is a bit skinny, he will still play. Player skill outweighs player weight (pun intended).

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
Ladies and gentlemen, there is a difference between having a point forward and running your offense through a forward in the elbow area. Niang is not a point forward type, however he has a lot of skills that we can utilize to initiate our offense and force defenses to do things they don't want to do.

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
If you go to youtube there is a highlight clip of Hogue. Looks decent. Seen him described as one of the best wing scorers in JUCO, and a solid defender. Not much out there for Amardi. There is one clip of him with an impressive oop dunk. Looks like he's got some springs. Sorry, can't link right now.

Ya I just watched it. He looks pretty good. Better than I was expecting!

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Tell Fred that, because he use to refer to Royce as a point forward. It's not a made up position, all it means is your forward can bring the ball up the court and initiate the offense. Niang is DEFINITELY not used as a point forward.
It's a made up position...for Royce

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Hogue is very athletic but not refined. Same can probably be said for Amardi. I won't be shocked if one or both of these guys thrive in our system, with the tutelage of Fred and company.

Even though their numbers won't knock your socks off in Juco, they may well fit within our system better.

Hopefully both can be very good defenders and rebounders. You don't have to be refined for that. I see us playing a more defensive style of b-ball next year out of necessity, and they could go a long way towards our success if that is the case.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
It's a made up position...for Royce

Not true.

If there is a POINT guard, then why can't there be a POINT forward?

The point designation is usually reserved for the guard that brings the ball up the court and initiates the offense. It's more or less quarterbacking the offense.

If you have a post player that does that, he's called a point forward and Royce was not the first, nor will he be the last.

Point forward - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Not true.

If there is a POINT guard, then why can't there be a POINT forward?

The point designation is usually reserved for the guard that brings the ball up the court and initiates the offense. It's more or less quarterbacking the offense.

If you have a post player that does that, he's called a point forward and Royce was not the first, nor will he be the last.

Point forward - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bron Bron and KG have both played it.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Bron Bron and KG have both played it.

I would argue that KG is more the Niang to to LeBron's Royce than a true point forward. He was always a great passer, but you wouldn't say he "ran" the offense any more than you would say that about any team whose best player was their big man.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I would argue that KG is more the Niang to to LeBron's Royce than a true point forward. He was always a great passer, but you wouldn't say he "ran" the offense any more than you would say that about any team whose best player was their big man.
He definitely played point forward for the Twolves for a significant amount of time one season, he was a primary ball handler.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Niang? No he is not going to be the "Point" Forward. I have faith in Man Man unlike most.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
The three is between SDW and Hogue. Okoro could be a darkhorse. This team will not struggle to score points at all, and has the potential to be better on defense. The rest of the Big12 also loses a lot. We may be young, but we still have a shot at even winning the Big12. Might not be likely, but we are likely to be experienceing March Madness for the third year in a row.

There is a reason several teams including NBA teams want Fred.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Niang? No he is not going to be the "Point" Forward. I have faith in Man Man unlike most.

I think the last week or so a lot of people have became believers in Morris, I know I have. He's starting day one. He's more of a lock than Thomas IMO. Thomas has to beat out SDW, unless we go three guard in which case all three start.