Excited about next year's team?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I used to think Thomas was the lock to start day one, but now I think it's Morris. Morris is going to be a GREAT PG. Thomas starting will depend on what we do at the three, because it will be hard keeping SDW out of the starting lineup. Those are going to be three super good guards. We are locked back into the tournament and one of the top three or at worst four teams in the Big12.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I used to think Thomas was the lock to start day one, but now I think it's Morris. Morris is going to be a GREAT PG. Thomas starting will depend on what we do at the three, because it will be hard keeping SDW out of the starting lineup. Those are going to be three super good guards. We are locked back into the tournament and one of the top three or at worst four teams in the Big12.

If you think we are locked into the tournament you are crazy. We can make it but no way are we a lock.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Fred is the master of creating mis-matches and exploiting those mis-matches. Each of the past two seasons, we have seen him do some very creative things offensively. Each year we have been concerned early in the season with our play. We have questioned our players, our coaches, and our plan. Through all this, Fred sticks to his plan and develops his team. Later in the season, we begin to see the mis-matches he has created and we start to see how they cause real problems for other teams.

I also love that we typically are the team dictating the style of play in our games. Teams have to adjust to us, not us to them. I believe Fred will have a very creative plan for the group we have next year. It is hard to guess what that plan is, but I'm sure we will question him early and see his genius late. I'm excited to see it happen.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm always excited for a new season! The excitement differs depending on whether it's about a team loaded with returning talent, a solid mix of new and returning talent, or a fairly new team. I would classify this as the latter.

For a team with a bunch of question marks in terms of new players who will have to play key roles, it is fun because the expectations (and therefore my overall stress level) are somewhat lowered. And it's always very cool to have a pleasant surprise when the team succeeds at an unexpected level, and being able to look forward to having a good young player around for a long time.

Reactions: helechopper

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
I'm excited. I can't wait to see what MT and MM can do out of the gates. SDW is the guy I'm most excited to see however. I think NIT is the realistic expectation while sweating it out on selection Sunday after not getting enough "key wins". We'll be putting things together in the non-con portion of the schedule, and with the strength of some of the teams we have lined up it'll be tough.
Regardless, having a coach like Hoiberg who thrives on making mismatches and gets talent to mesh together well will always have me excited for the upcoming season.

That is of course, unless Hoiberg goes to Minnesota :jimlad:

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Morris and Thomas are coming for the freshman record books.

I would be okay with starting them from day one if they earn it in practice and show they can handle thenselves in the Cap City league. No better way to learn than to throw them in there and go. If they make mistakes, so be it. At least they'll have a year to learn from it and carry the torch with Niang going forward.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Sorry, I just don't see the point-forward thing working with Niang. He is going to be a great forward, but he does not have the same ball-handling skills of Clyburn, or even Royce.
He does not need to, he just needs to be able to take the center off the dribble.
That is what is so great about Fred, if there is a mismatch he will exploit it. I could see bubu and Morris getting us in the half-court, and Georges taking it from there...likeRW

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I have NIT expectations but I think by the end of the year we will be an NCAA caliber team without the resume. I'm excited about watching the team improve.

I agree with this, but what does give me hope is that the B12 will be very young as a whole. It wasn't a good conference this year, and it may be worse next year.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yeah, RW is a unique talent. But we saw plenty of Niang out at the high post and top of the key, and he was effective out there. With his high basketball IQ and ability to drive into the lane against bigger, slower defenders it makes sense to get the ball in his hands and run the offense through him. Especially with three unproven PGs on the roster.

This guy gets it. Everyone else needs to look past the end of their gut. I never said anything about Royce White, you all just have a picture of that is how a "point forward" should play. Apparently a point guard's only job is to drive in the lane and dish. There are a ton of other ways to create an offense around a player like Georges. Remember that Royce couldn't shoot, Niang can. He's not as good on the drive as Royce, but it's going to be easier for him with the respect that defenders have to give to the shot.

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
We are a NIT team next year. Fortunately the Big 12 is going to be bad next year. I don't think people realize how talented this years team was.

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
We are a NIT team next year. Fortunately the Big 12 is going to be bad next year. I don't think people realize how talented this years team was.

I think plenty of people know we were very talented. I think your underestimating the young talent we will have next year.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
This years team was talented, they also left a lot of wins on the table. We will reach the same win total as the previous few years. It's Basketball, freshman can play this sport too.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
This guy gets it. Everyone else needs to look past the end of their gut. I never said anything about Royce White, you all just have a picture of that is how a "point forward" should play. Apparently a point guard's only job is to drive in the lane and dish. There are a ton of other ways to create an offense around a player like Georges. Remember that Royce couldn't shoot, Niang can. He's not as good on the drive as Royce, but it's going to be easier for him with the respect that defenders have to give to the shot.

Ok, maybe I do have a picture of how a "point forward" should play. So much of what made the point forward style successful was Royce's ability to create. Yes, Georges can shoot it but I don't ever see him being able to make plays happen handling the ball (if that is what you are suggesting).

It takes a very special player to be able to do what Royce did. If it was as easy as you are making it out to be, every coach in the country would be doing it. Georges is a very special player, just not the player to be a "point forward" type.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Ok, maybe I do have a picture of how a "point forward" should play. So much of what made the point forward style successful was Royce's ability to create. Yes, Georges can shoot it but I don't ever see him being able to make plays happen handling the ball (if that is what you are suggesting).

It takes a very special player to be able to do what Royce did. If it was as easy as you are making it out to be, every coach in the country would be doing it. Georges is a very special player, just not the player to be a "point forward" type.

I'm more talking about facilitating the offense and being the focal point of our sets at the high post. "having the ball in has hands" doesn't mean he has to be dribbling the ball. Taking jumpers, throwing oops to Mel, and driving on slower, larger defenders is creating, its just creating in a different way from Royce. I think of him as more of a Grant Hill type point forward than a Royce point forward. More finesse and jump shots rather than just blow by power and dime dropping.

As soon as the ball gets over half court Georges should be coming to get it. We've already seen it happening late in the year this season. I would expect that role to just grow for the next 3 years.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I think plenty of people know we were very talented. I think your underestimating the young talent we will have next year.

Totally agree. I think Ejim and Niang are as good a combo as anyone has coming back. Build around them, get contributions from top-100 recruits and fill in the pices. Freshman can make impact. Be surprised if we are not in the top 4-5 teams in the conference.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron