Encouraged.... but am reminded of 2010

dirtycy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2006
I dont post but i always read what everyone discussing. I have had second thoughts like everyone else. i am just glad that i will not be yelling at the tv when NO ONE is moving on offense. I can take a loss if it looks like the team is trying. Like someone else already said the hustle is back that was lacking last season. If that alone doesnt produce more wins i will be surprized.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I used to be able to watch a Wisconsin basketball game with ease because I was so used to that style of play. Today I tried to watch their game and I found my eyes bleeding. This is a very good thing!!

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
What I like about this team so far is that they play aggressively and they actually seem to be enjoying themselves out there. Let's face it.......the last couple of years it did not look like the players were really enjoying what was going on with the style of play.......that may be why so many of them left. Of course, FH could lose 6 players the end of this season too, but my gut tells me that will not be the case.

dirtycy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2006
DG alone proves the more relaxed point. Not missing the easy ones and shooting the three. I wonder how much higher his three point percentage will be at the end of the year.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
We had some nice blow outs early on last year. Brackens was clicking early on, he hit 28 against Mississippi Valley State and snagged 12 boards playing half the game. We looked great through 6 games. I've been to a few games this year and listened to several. The main difference I've noticed is we can get hot from the three pt line. On Wed we were at 80% 3s for most the first half. Hope we can keep it up.

While true, I wouldn't call this the main difference. There's a lot of differences and this is pretty small actually. What jumps out at me is a few things from the playing perspective.

1) We are a LOT more run n' gun than last year. When we steal the ball and have the opportunity, we don't slow it down in the half court, we attack the hoop and try for a layup/get a foul. We don't always do that, as sometimes we will slow it down or do a few passes and shoot a 3 or midrange jumper eventually.

2) Guys are moving off the ball. Last year with the ball, Garrett would just dribble somewhere beyond the perimeter while everyone stood around. People are moving this year.

3) Defense. We attack the ball better this year and great more turnovers, so far.

4) Hustle. Maybe it's just Jake Anderson, but the team seems to work and hustle way more.

5) Spacing. We have much better spacing on offense this year.

6) Passing. I had seen more touch passes in two games than all last year. Passing is important in basketball, especially when you can do it fast and efficiently to "find" an open man.

5) Set plays. Mac had a million set plays, and while that might be "cool" in theory, in practice it makes players confused because they will get confused (it was apparent last year. Just watch replays when someone passes the ball, the guy he's passing to cuts the wrong way, and the passer gets on the receiver like 'man what were you doing?'" This year sure we have set plays, but let's face it, most of these guys learned by just PLAYING the game. They are much better when you let them play free-ish and aggressively. I think Hoiberg is letting them do that with set plays mixed in when needed. They look more comfortable out there.

Honestly, there's so many differences between last year and this year. It's so apparent just watching a game for five minutes.

Last edited:

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I used to be able to watch a Wisconsin basketball game with ease because I was so used to that style of play. Today I tried to watch their game and I found my eyes bleeding. This is a very good thing!!

Hah. Wisconsin basketball is so boring. The first time I discuss hoops with anyone, I always explain to them that if they want to **** me off they'd make me watch a Wisconsin basketball game.

LZclone

Oct 2, 2008
Mahomet IL via Laurens IA
OK... I've been to a couple games and am really excited about what Hoiberg has going. But I keep remembering last year when we went 6-0 and then dropped 3 straight. Tell me this year is different! If we can win the next two and then play Cal tough I'll start guzzling the koolaid.

Sorry... but how stupid is this post?

We don't have GMac running the show. That should be enough said but let me elaborate.

We have a NEW COACH.

We play defense and rebound.

We have an up tempo style.

Hilton Magic is on the way back.

Now with that being said, you better be prepared for losses and a good chance at no post season play. If you think starting 5-0 equates to post season (especially given the current team we can put on the floor) please let me know what you are smoking or drinking cause it seems to be a great distorter of reality.

Don't forget that our 'scout' team (mostly consisting of players ineligible due to transfer) can knock around our starting team everyday. The major concern I think most of us had was the lack of 'coaching experience' Hoiberg had (has). Well he is learning on the job, one reason the Lutz hire is GENIUS.

Most, well probably all, 'experts' picked the Clones to finish last in the Big XII. We won't. In my opinion a finish of 9 or 10 would constitute a good start for Hoiberg. A finish of 7 or 8 might get us an NIT berth and would be an EXCELLENT year.

GO CLONES!

cyclonewino

Apr 11, 2006
On the other side of this is: Exactly WHAT (other than record) reminds You of last year??? Personally I don't see much of a similarity between last year and this in coaching and schemes and style.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
OK... I've been to a couple games and am really excited about what Hoiberg has going. But I keep remembering last year when we went 6-0 and then dropped 3 straight. Tell me this year is different! If we can win the next two and then play Cal tough I'll start guzzling the koolaid.

I have to disagree with you. Our team will bounce back and beat Cal. This year's team is not like the we had past few years.

For last night, our shots didn't go in and UNI rebounded better. My gut feeling tells me that we are going to win more games.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
We were exposed last night in the half court. We all knew that not having a true post player who could score inside would hurt us, and it did last night.

Refs called some questionable calls but it went both ways.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron