Encouraged.... but am reminded of 2010

CloneJob

Jan 10, 2009
Ankeny
OK... I've been to a couple games and am really excited about what Hoiberg has going. But I keep remembering last year when we went 6-0 and then dropped 3 straight. Tell me this year is different! If we can win the next two and then play Cal tough I'll start guzzling the koolaid.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
OK... I've been to a couple games and am really excited about what Hoiberg has going. But I keep remembering last year when we went 6-0 and then dropped 3 straight. Tell me this year is different! If we can win the next two and then play Cal tough I'll start guzzling the koolaid.

We will have plenty of losses this year.

You can be encouraged that Chewy is not in charge and the team will continue to hustle.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Have you watched or listened to any of the games? If so, you shouldn't need anyone to tell you what is different. The only thing the same is the record.

But here's my summary anyway:

Last year we had great expectations and no chemistry. Then the team fell apart due to chemistry issues, attitudes, lack of leadership, injuries and people just plain quitting.

This year we have no expectations and great chemistry. Even is this team battles injuries and puts up the same record as last year, it will be a successfully season, because most were not expecting a .500 record coming into the year.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
If you can't tell that this year is different, then you're just a lost cause anyway.

CloneJob

Jan 10, 2009
Ankeny
We had some nice blow outs early on last year. Brackens was clicking early on, he hit 28 against Mississippi Valley State and snagged 12 boards playing half the game. We looked great through 6 games. I've been to a few games this year and listened to several. The main difference I've noticed is we can get hot from the three pt line. On Wed we were at 80% 3s for most the first half. Hope we can keep it up.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm not reminded at all. I saw each game last year and each of these games is different than last year's games.

No problems here seeing a difference.
Can't wait until our next thread in a couple of hours to see the same idea.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
It's completely different but we can still lose 3 (or more) in a row against good teams. We've played 1 team all year that can be considered "good" by any stretch of the imagination. Regardless of our schedule it certainly feels like things are moving in the right direction.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Would people be happier if we lost the last 5 games just so the start of the season wasn't so easy to compare????

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
We've had more "easy" buckets this season than pretty much all of last year (may be a slight overexaggeration). Last year we were beating teams early simply because we outmatched them talent wise. This year we are beating teams with coaching and our style of play. It's fun to watch.

One thing that always bugged me about Mac is that he would try to get our line up to match-up well with the opposition rather than forcing the opposition to guard us. Fred seems to be doing that well.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
We've had more "easy" buckets this season than pretty much all of last year (may be a slight overexaggeration). Last year we were beating teams early simply because we outmatched them talent wise. This year we are beating teams with coaching and our style of play. It's fun to watch.

One thing that always bugged me about Mac is that he would try to get our line up to match-up well with the opposition rather than forcing the opposition to guard us. Fred seems to be doing that well.

Nice summary. I'm not sure you're exaggerating at all.

And that part about imposing ourselves on our opponents instead of responding to them....nice point.:yes:

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
If I see a German standing on the perimeter in our offense then I'll be concerned.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If I see a German standing on the perimeter in our offense then I'll be concerned.

Hah. During the drake game when Scotty was going off i just said 'i hope he doesnt leave for germany now'

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
would you prefer to have Iowa's record right now? :swoon:

i am excited about ISU basketball for the first time in years - maybe sense Stinson and Co. left - oh yeah, that is when McD showed up.

Program is going in the right direction!!!

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
I said it in my post after the Cyclone Alley Practice watch about what I thought each guy was going to be like, and I have been pretty much spot on with the exception of Ejim - (he still hasn't convinced me yet tho)

But these guys are special, and they play special. The attitude the coaches brought in and the fast pace, INTENSE practices that they have will pay off.

We will get out butts handed to us by Kansas, K-state, and a few others, but if these guys continue to play hard, dive on the floor for loose balls, and make those 'hustle plays'. We WILL be in it come the end of the second half in a lot of games and we will pull off a couple upsets! Mark my words!

fanaticagain

Jun 6, 2009
Would people be happier if we lost the last 5 games just so the start of the season wasn't so easy to compare????

would you prefer to have Iowa's record right now?

I don't think anyone isn't happy that we're 5-0. To suggest they aren't is rather silly, IMO.

I think it's a good thing for people to be cautiously optimistic with this team. Be happy we are where we're at, but don't be surprised and have a meltdown if the losses start coming. The schedule only gets tougher after tomorrow, and the Big 12 is shaping up to be a monster conference this year.

Last edited:

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I said it in my post after the Cyclone Alley Practice watch about what I thought each guy was going to be like, and I have been pretty much spot on with the exception of Ejim - (he still hasn't convinced me yet tho)

But these guys are special, and they play special. The attitude the coaches brought in and the fast pace, INTENSE practices that they have will pay off.

We will get out butts handed to us by Kansas, K-state, and a few others, but if these guys continue to play hard, dive on the floor for loose balls, and make those 'hustle plays'. We WILL be in it come the end of the second half in a lot of games and we will pull off a couple upsets! Mark my words!

I remember being at that practicing and asking myself "how is this team THAT bad?"

We have also had really good teams get ***** handed to them a few times by teams such as Kansas and Eddie Sutton's Cowboys. We are much better off now without MacBall.