Emerald Ash Borer

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
taz, we get it and most agree with you. Heck, I even said the abridged version before you responded it right back to me.

He was just messing with you.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
As long as we are ranting I'll chime in; don’t buy anything but annuals from your big box store if you live up north here. Too much of their tree and shrub stock is from god knows where. Here in the Twin Cities I’d stick with Bachmann’s or Gertins (Dundee if you are way west). Most of their stuff is northern grown or from reliable suppliers. It’s going to cost a little more but you get what you pay for. Like the difference between a puppy mill and a respected dog breeder.

Even at the better nursery’s I’ll still too often walk down the aisle and go “passâ€￾, “nopeâ€￾ and “you really think someone will buy thatâ€￾.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I have a ash that isn't the greatest tree to begin with (scraggly with a leaning trunk) but it is the only afternoon shade for my son's room. I have been thinking about planting its replacement near it and nursing the ash along for a few years so the new one is established when it finally has to go. Is this a dumb idea? If I should go ahead, how do I determine how close to the old tree I can plant the new one so it will safely thrive? Does it have to be completely outside the ash's canopy? Since the trunk leans so much how does that affect that determination?

Bump for help on this question!

I have 2 green ash we planted about 10 years ago. Both are in good shape, but I have been thinking about planting something near them, figuring in 5-10 years when the ash go, I will still have a decent tree. Both trees are in open space away from the house. Good idea? Bad idea?

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
If I had all Ash trees, would maybe spend the money to save 1 or 2. Fortunately I have a couple nice oaks, a spruce and one beautiful ash that will hate to lose.

I decided instead of spending money on treatements to buy 2 decent size trees, plant them a ways away from the Ash, and by the time the Ash goes, hopefully they'll be able to replace it nicely. Have Marmo Maple, and a Dutch Elm Reistant Elm coming next week.

Excited about the Elm. Saw an old one a few years ago that had survived(it died a few years later). Understand why people loved them so much years ago.

isubucky72

Apr 10, 2006
Iowa
Any oak tree would work, except red oak, unless you want a new house when a storm hits. Walnut could be a good investment if you never plan on selling your house/property and can deal with the walnuts. Cottonwood and Basswood are others, but they can grow super tall. I'd stay away from Sycamore.

Would you elaborate on your red oak comment?

rudiskilz

Apr 28, 2010
West Des Moines
Read an article a while back that some dude in Michigan believes that once one is found in an area that it is very likely that every ash tree in a 6 mile radius is likely infected.

Yeah from what i learned last summer the belief is that when it is found in one spot, its not a matter of if it is found but when will it be found. And i think i remember them saying that it takes up to a year to see any effects of it as it eats away at your tree from the inside.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I have a ash that isn't the greatest tree to begin with (scraggly with a leaning trunk) but it is the only afternoon shade for my son's room. I have been thinking about planting its replacement near it and nursing the ash along for a few years so the new one is established when it finally has to go. Is this a dumb idea? If I should go ahead, how do I determine how close to the old tree I can plant the new one so it will safely thrive? Does it have to be completely outside the ash's canopy? Since the trunk leans so much how does that affect that determination?

Bump for help on this question!

I have 2 green ash we planted about 10 years ago. Both are in good shape, but I have been thinking about planting something near them, figuring in 5-10 years when the ash go, I will still have a decent tree. Both trees are in open space away from the house. Good idea? Bad idea?
Planting the tree close to an existing tree will most likely slow the younger tree's development. The older tree will shade the younger tree, has an established root system and will outcompete for moisture and fertility. The newly planted tree can survive and will grow but it's growth will be slowed and it's shape could be altered.

Velo...you live in Minnesota....Your son might like that sun exposure in the winter when it is cold more than he likes the shade in the summer. heck does it even get hot :smile:

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
taz, we get it and most agree with you. Heck, I even said the abridged version before you responded it right back to me.

He was just messing with you.

I know it just really bothers me:smile:

The other thing that bothers me is when people plant trees too close to each other. They buy a maple tree that grows 60' tall and 60' wide and plant it next to another tree 15 feet away. The trees grow into each other, have the canopy of one tree and are weakened by competing against each other. Then one dies and you have this half tree.:wink:

I like a mix of trees and then understory trees. Plant the Large trees at proper spacing and then use under story trees to fill in the voids.

There. Now my rants are over:smile:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I know it just really bothers me:smile:

Ok, I'll add my two tree "peeves"...

1) Bradford Pears...another one of those fad trees. They can't withstand a 40 MPH wind or any sort of ice/snow without breaking down. You can't find one Bradford Pear around here that doesn't look like an absolute mess.

2) People who don't trim/thin their trees, and then complain about the tree killing all the grass under the tree.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Do they drop anything annoying in the lawn/nearby gardens? besides leaves of course
The female has an awful smelling fruit. And I stress awful you do not want a female.

The male does not drop anything but leaves. Very clean tree. When it drops leaves it will drop them all at once. the leaves are leathery so are not the easiest to mulch.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I'd recommend a Skyline honey locust, and plant 'em close.

(now, can we get taz going again?)
:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
The female has an awful smelling fruit. And I stress awful you do not want a female.

The male does not drop anything but leaves. Very clean tree. When it drops leaves it will drop them all at once. the leaves are leathery so are not the easiest to mulch.

I hear the skyline honey locust leaves mulch like a dream.

:wink:

leroycyclone

Jan 2, 2010
Boulder, CO
Lost two huge and very mature ash trees to EAB in the Chicago Western Suburbs three years ago. The area towns were infested with the bugs and ash trees were routinely cut down and destroyed. The chips cannot be used as mulch. Chipping doesn't guarantee killing the adults and larvae. The first signs of problems were: small limbs far out on the lower branches that didn't have sprout leaves in spring, curled and darkened leaves on other limbs and those leaves dropping in summer. The trees had to be removed at a cost of $1500 each. They were very large trees.

The story is that the first borers arrived in the U.S., possibly Michigan, in untreated pallets from China. They quickly made their way into Illinois and all of the careful precautions failed, obviously.