Electrical Problem

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I am in the final stages of buying a house that was built in 1948. I had my inspection and asked the sellers to make certain changes. The only thing they won't change in the electrical in the house. Most of the house has ungrounded outlets and I am unsure how worried I should be about this. The washer and dryer are in the newer part of the house that has grounded outlets. They will be installing GFCI outlets in the kitchen and bathroom. How much of a concern will it be if the bedrooms and living room do not have grounded outlets?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I am in the final stages of buying a house that was built in 1948. I had my inspection and asked the sellers to make certain changes. The only thing they won't change in the electrical in the house. Most of the house has ungrounded outlets and I am unsure how worried I should be about this. The washer and dryer are in the newer part of the house that has grounded outlets. They will be installing GFCI outlets in the kitchen and bathroom. How much of a concern will it be if the bedrooms and living room do not have grounded outlets?

My old house had a mix (built in 1920 I think). I did have electrical problems, but I think that was more due to having too much on one line (the first light in the circuit eventually went poof). That line had the kitchen light, half the kitchen outlets (including dishwasher), the hall light, living room outlets (where the window air conditioner was), and part of the upstairs outlets and lights.

It was a pain in the butt having to use adapters for most stuff, and always made me nervous (until I rewired and divided the circuit up).

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
The wiring in the house is fine, its just the outlets are not grounded in the older part of the house. Not sure how concerned I should be with this.

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
If I were the sellers, I would have the same stance. You're buying a 1948 house, you cant expect it to be at today's standards.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
Look around your house you're at now. How many items you own utilize the ground plug now?

Now don't get me wrong, I would rather have the ground than not. The ground is to protect you if your appliance neutral (or wiring) fails. Basically in residential wiring, a ground is a back up neutral.( on the 115V)

Last edited: