Ed O'Bannon trial

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I wonder if the NCAA would turn around and remove scholarships from the table for athletes... Yeah, we will cut you a check for $60k over 4 years... BUT cost of going to school over that four year period is about $45k so... congrats :jimlad:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I thought we took care of the athlete by providing them a first class education, first class facilities and first class coaching staffs. Apparently, we have to pay the amateurs as well. If they are employees then can we can their *** half-way through the season and tax their scholarship?

well, they already can cut them at the end of the year for no reason if they choose. As far as the taxes go, I suppose we'll just have to see how that plays out. I'm positive that any money kept in a trust would be taxable.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The judge will figure that out. That's her problem to put together.
It's not to far to say, though, that much of what athletes are provided is not first class.

Certainly a trial to decide whether the NCAA and schools are profiting from an athlete's likeness should be a slam dunk. If you're using a person for advertising, that person needs to be paid.

Well I better go make sure that ISU didn't take any pictures of me and put them in any publications. I want paid for that ****.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Well I better go make sure that ISU didn't take any pictures of me and put them in any publications. I want paid for that ****.

I once had a solo shot of myself on iastate.edu that I did not consent to. Should I sue ISU for everything they've got? That's the 'Murican way right?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I once had a solo shot of myself on iastate.edu that I did not consent to. Should I sue ISU for everything they've got? That's the 'Murican way right?

Is it time for the "this country is going to hell in a handbasket" argument already? I thought we were still on slippery slope.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

A prior employer had an issue like this. So the solution was to have the employees sign a consent form to allow photos to be used in the company newsletter and whatnot. I actually read the form and saw that it also gave the company the ability to use my image in just about any way they saw fit. This included TV, billboard, internet and print advertising. I didn't sign. If my mug is used to promote anything then I get paid. That's the bottom line

Help Support Us

Become a patron