Ed Hightower

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Very poorly officiated game. The worst part was the inconsistencies. We're hacking the crap out of Pittman down low and nothing was called on us. Brackins sets a great screen against the press, gets clobbered by a much smaller player and nothing is called. Probably would have got the call had he flopped. On Diante's "travel," he dribbled and took ONE step.

Then they start calling some ticky-tacks, and still let some hack go, often on the next posession. I don't believe that either team benefitted all that much from the lousy calls, but man, what a **** poor officiated game.

Fans tend to ignore their team's fouls that don't get called while harping on the ones that do. But I can tell you from this game that the calls were all over the place to the point where as a player it would be very difficult to get a feel about how a game is being called.

And Ed Hightower? He needs to hang it up. He's not getting up the floor like he should and was late getting in position at times. Couldn't keep up with the action. The other two should be doing high school games.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
The guy with the partly blonde hair made some really idiotic calls... not that they were against us, but they were still idiotic. One was towards the end of the game, when we got the ball because one of the Texas guys "stepped out of bounds". He was probably a foot away from the sideline, but he fell and scooted across the ground with the ball, which was clearly traveling. So although he just made up a call, the ball still needed to belong to us..

Not the worst officiating I've ever seen, but a number of really idiotic calls, and some poorly made calls.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
I have never, ever liked Ed Hightower. When I see him trot out at one of our games, I groan.

That play where Gilstrap got undercut and pushed out of bounds was seen by everybody but Ed and his crew, apparently.

And I always love it when he calls a foul under the basket from 50 feet away and has to jog around 6 or 7 players on his way down there to point at the guilty party.

This is pretty hilarious from the Urban Dictionary:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hightower

Last edited:

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
reffing wasnt good but it evened out. Reffing didnt decide the game, the game was decided on free throws missed in the second half and Texas 16-4 run to open up the second half.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Not really. His leg giving out made it look worse than it was.

I have it on my DVR. I watched it five times..it's obvious you didn't really watch it again and if you did, you probably saw it once.

Him having the "AHHH!!!!!" look on his face and getting bumped and hit on the arm by the Texas player was almost simultaneous. The foul came a short split-second after he had the look on his face (maybe 1/8 second after).

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I disagree.. Boozer went down the lane. The guy barely brushed against him then Boozer jumped, didn't look like much if any contact. Then he came down awkwardly.

Minus the fact boozer's forearm was obviously hacked as he was going up if you actually watch a real replay of it from the baseline angle.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
People throughout big 10 and big 12 know Ed really well. He gets a little happy with his calls

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I disagree.. Boozer went down the lane. The guy barely brushed against him then Boozer jumped, didn't look like much if any contact. Then he came down awkwardly.

I was watching it on tv and Boozer defenitely was fouled on the play. As he brought the ball up the Texas player came straight down across his arm. Definitely a foul there. Then again when James for Texas went down the lane late in the game for a layup and was untouched they called a foul and gave Texas a free three point play. My only problem with the officiating was the total lack of consistency on both ends of the floor. Granted... Texas is the #1 team so they are going to get the benefit of calls that we are not going to get in our favor.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Is this the guy with the dyed hair? I think the guy with the dyed hair reffed one of ISU's games at the beginning of the year and he got hurt and there was only two refs for a while reffing the game.

Ed was the black ref. He's been around a LONG time. I've seen him good, bad, and terrible. Ten years ago he was bald. I think he got plugged, and dyes it now. That ref that passed out or whatever was a different guy.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Ed makes sure that everyone knows that "Ed Hightower" is officiating the game.

Two things you can count on when he does a game.

1. He will make a dramatic call at a very important part of the game so that everyone knows that he is there.

2. There will be a lot of fouls called and the majority of them will go against the visiting team. It happened to Texas last night. They had some big name players getting into foul trouble, but were able to cover for it with their depth.

Watch a game that Ed is reffing where you don't have a dog in the fight. The 2 things I mentioned above happen almost every time.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
The guy with the partly blonde hair made some really idiotic calls... not that they were against us, but they were still idiotic. One was towards the end of the game, when we got the ball because one of the Texas guys "stepped out of bounds". He was probably a foot away from the sideline, but he fell and scooted across the ground with the ball, which was clearly traveling. So although he just made up a call, the ball still needed to belong to us..

Not the worst officiating I've ever seen, but a number of really idiotic calls, and some poorly made calls.

I didn't see the play, but sliding with the ball is not automatically traveling. If you dive on a loose ball you can slide with it from one end of the gym to the other and it is not traveling unless you roll over with it. Now, if a guy falls down with a ball in his possession it is traveling IF he has control all the way to the floor.

Last edited:

Cyclone29

Jul 21, 2009
Very poorly officiated game. The worst part was the inconsistencies. We're hacking the crap out of Pittman down low and nothing was called on us. Brackins sets a great screen against the press, gets clobbered by a much smaller player and nothing is called. Probably would have got the call had he flopped. On Diante's "travel," he dribbled and took ONE step.

Then they start calling some ticky-tacks, and still let some hack go, often on the next posession. I don't believe that either team benefitted all that much from the lousy calls, but man, what a **** poor officiated game.

Fans tend to ignore their team's fouls that don't get called while harping on the ones that do. But I can tell you from this game that the calls were all over the place to the point where as a player it would be very difficult to get a feel about how a game is being called.

And Ed Hightower? He needs to hang it up. He's not getting up the floor like he should and was late getting in position at times. Couldn't keep up with the action. The other two should be doing high school games.

Max

Mar 19, 2006
I actually thought the refs were pretty good last night. While Hightower likes the attention and sometimes takes over a game, he is a good ref. The other guy being discussed is John Higgins. We have him quite often for our games and in my opinion, he's one of the best refs around.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Seriously, I am the last person to ***** about officials...even at ISU games. ISU fans are notorious for ******** about any call against us and even at games if a person is ******** about a call that was obviously the right one, I will turn around and bring it up to them. Half of the time, the people admit they don't know a lot about basketball.

Last night though was very inconsistent and a lot of calls were missed. Anyone who thinks it was an overall good officiated game is smoking something and it's not cigarettes. I counted two goaltends Texas did but were not called, plus a bunch of fouls on them not called. Not only that, but watch the last minute of the game. We trapped Texas on the near sideline..the guy takes two big steps out of bounds very clearly and it wasn't called. Luckily he traveled and they caught that. A little earlier, Pittman rebounds and dribbles it out of bounds and it took the refs literally 2 or 3 seconds to call it even though I could see it from my TV zoomed out and a ref was right there.

It was not a very consistently refereed game. Ultimately we lost NOT because of the refs, but I HATE watching games where the refs are inconsistent and miss OBVIOUS calls. Huge pet peeve

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Is it me or is Eddie Hightower EVERYWHERE? I swear, I'll get home from a game, turn another one on t.v. and he'll somehow be mysteriously reffing that one as well. I rarely notice who is officiating a game but when I do Eddie Hightower is one of the officials.

Help Support Us

Become a patron