Easier for Nebraska???

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Will it be easier for Nebraska to win a National Title in football playing in the Big Ten?

If the Ohio State program ever slows down for a year or two a definite yes for a conference championship, national title? Not enough good horses in their stable, at this time.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
It depends on what their division looks like for sure but it's very likely that they are going to be in the same division as PSU. I think that alone makes it tougher. But if they get stuck with Iowa and Wisconsin as well that makes it a lot tougher. That's pretty good depth.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
It depends on what their division looks like for sure but it's very likely that they are going to be in the same division as PSU. I think that alone makes it tougher. But if they get stuck with Iowa and Wisconsin as well that makes it a lot tougher. That's pretty good depth.

How do you figure? I doubt they'll do anything other than a literal east/west geographic split for divisions. PSU and Nebraska are on opposite outskirts.

I don't know if it'll be any harder or not. If they're in with Iowa and Wisco in a western division, it'll be a three-dog race for the Big 10 title game, in the near term it would seem, anyway. Then if they get to the title game they'll have OSU, PSU, or if they ever get it turned around, Michigan waiting for them. I think it may be a tougher road for Nebraska to actually get to the Big 10 title game (Big 12 North has been pretty weak the past several years), but if they do, OSU and PSU may be a bit less daunting than Texas and OU. Either way, I don't think the difference is going to be that extreme.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Nope. They basically had a cake division here. They won't have it there plus they will have to take on UM, OSU or PSU yearly.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Geographically I think the move kills Nebraska and being the new kid in a conference that has been around forever with the powerhouse schools they've got is going to be very difficult. If Nebraska had a hard time dealing with the egos of some of the institutions in the Big 12 they're gonna love the Big 10. Only plus I can see is we don't have to put up with Nebraskan's any more.

HititHard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 11, 2009
If you look at Big TV vs Big 12 it looks like an easier road to the title.

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
If you look at Big TV vs Big 12 it looks like an easier road to the title.

So when the Big Ten didn't have the conference title game and the Big 12 did it was easier for a Big Ten team then, now that the Big Ten will have a title game and the Big 12 won't it is still easier? That makes a lot of sense.

MrReality

Sep 5, 2008
Will it be easier for Nebraska to win a National Title in football playing in the Big Ten?

I don't think so. Probably a little tougher. At minimum they will play Wisconsin and Iowa every year and will play either Ohio State or Michigan every year (assuming they are in the opposite division and are scheduled similar to how Nebraska played Texas and OU in alternating years), and either Penn State every year or two out of every 4 years, a conference championship game, plus one tough non-conference game a year. That's a pretty tough table to run.

Last edited:

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

no. in the bigxii all they had to do was sweep through the north and win a bigxii championship game. now they will have to get through a gauntlet and win a bigx championship game. oh, and now they won't have easy access to texas recruits...big problem.

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.
So when the Big Ten didn't have the conference title game and the Big 12 did it was easier for a Big Ten team then, now that the Big Ten will have a title game and the Big 12 won't it is still easier? That makes a lot of sense.

Your username is hawkeyescott and you're on cyclone fanatic forums... THAT makes a lot of sense.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
i think the fuskers will suffer in recruiting particularly in texas.i think the texas kids will want to pledge to big 12 schools since they will get to play against texas schools in the cases of ku,ksu,misery,isu and the two okie schools.nebrasky just flushed themselves down the toilet with their stupid move.ohio state will kick their country arse year -in and year-out.colorado just dug themselves into a deeper hole by going to the pack 10.it will be a long time b4 they will have a winning team because hawkins has buried them deep down into an earthly hole with their football program.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
Hm. Let's start with a potential (and admittedly generous) 2011 schedule:

Leftward Bumtucky - W
St. Spazzy's - W
Virginia Tech/USC - type home game - W
South Dakota Yodas (Homecoming) - W
@ Minnesota - W
Wisconsin - W
@Northwestern - W
@ Iowa - W
Michigan - W
@ Indiana - W
Illinois - W
@Penn State (w/o JoPa?) - W

Conference Title Game vs. Ohio State

This is obviously a "maxed out" version of the best possible scenario for Nebraska, but it is definitely possible (For example, I wouldn't put Mizzou's "ceiling" nearly that high, had they joined.) Nebraska also could have an early edge, since they have something no Big Tvn schools have: league championship experience.

So, an undefeated league champion Nebraska is very certainly possible (especially in the early years of the league). Is it more likely than Nebraska as undefeated Big 12 champ? Maybe slightly - the seemingly mutual unfamiliarity should work in the new team's favor for the first year, at least.

Is a NC likely?

Heck.

No.

But is the path a little easier in the Big Tvn? At first, I think it will be. There's a window of uncertainty that the Huskers could potentially exploit.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Hm. Let's start with a potential (and admittedly generous) 2011 schedule:

Leftward Bumtucky - W
St. Spazzy's - W
Virginia Tech/USC - type home game - W
South Dakota Yodas (Homecoming) - W
@ Minnesota - W
Wisconsin - W
@Northwestern - W
@ Iowa - W
Michigan - W
@ Indiana - W
Illinois - W
@Penn State (w/o JoPa?) - W

Conference Title Game vs. Ohio State

This is obviously a "maxed out" version of the best possible scenario for Nebraska, but it is definitely possible (For example, I wouldn't put Mizzou's "ceiling" nearly that high, had they joined.) Nebraska also could have an early edge, since they have something no Big Tvn schools have: league championship experience.

So, an undefeated league champion Nebraska is very certainly possible (especially in the early years of the league). Is it more likely than Nebraska as undefeated Big 12 champ? Maybe slightly - the seemingly mutual unfamiliarity should work in the new team's favor for the first year, at least.

Is a NC likely?

Heck.

No.

But is the path a little easier in the Big Tvn? At first, I think it will be. There's a window of uncertainty that the Huskers could potentially exploit.

What do you think this is, the 1950's? It's not like Nebraska is never on tv so the other coaches have never seen them play. And it's not like they run a gimmicky offense that takes time to adjust to.

But considering what their compitition was in the Big 12 North, I'm not sure how anyone could conclue that it's easier.

Nobody said it was impossible

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
How do you figure? I doubt they'll do anything other than a literal east/west geographic split for divisions. PSU and Nebraska are on opposite outskirts.

I don't know if it'll be any harder or not. If they're in with Iowa and Wisco in a western division, it'll be a three-dog race for the Big 10 title game, in the near term it would seem, anyway. Then if they get to the title game they'll have OSU, PSU, or if they ever get it turned around, Michigan waiting for them. I think it may be a tougher road for Nebraska to actually get to the Big 10 title game (Big 12 North has been pretty weak the past several years), but if they do, OSU and PSU may be a bit less daunting than Texas and OU. Either way, I don't think the difference is going to be that extreme.

Because the Big 10 isn't going to make the same mistake the Big 12 did by putting all three of those teams in the same division. As an Iowa fan, I'd prefer to have it split geographically, but it's not going to happen. Delany said as much when he said that competitiveness of the divisions was more important than geography.