Dream car

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Original muscle cars are brutes. They're rough, they're loud, they shake and you'll shake too. I don't know how people drove those around day after day. An hour is fun but after that it's a chore. And a lot of modern family cars could outrun most of those muscle cars on a track.

I used to think resto mods ruined a car. I don't feel that way anymore. I'd love to have a 68 Camaro with a fuel injected motor, AC and suspension and brakes that won't make me hate the car or get me killed.

But they're still beautiful.
Totally agree, my brother a couple years older had a 71 Chevelle, 454, Hurst shift kit, would fly down the road, a couple of times he took it up to Eddyville to drag race.
Great car to tool around the square in Centerville, or back and forth the 10 miles to school, but if drove 50 to 100 miles, you tended to get car sick from all the pumping and charring around, and God forbid if you were in the back seat.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Original muscle cars are brutes. They're rough, they're loud, they shake and you'll shake too. I don't know how people drove those around day after day. An hour is fun but after that it's a chore. And a lot of modern family cars could outrun most of those muscle cars on a track.

I used to think resto mods ruined a car. I don't feel that way anymore. I'd love to have a 68 Camaro with a fuel injected motor, AC and suspension and brakes that won't make me hate the car or get me killed.

My father had a red 65 Mustang convertible before I was born and I would love to get a 65 or 66. When ever I mention that to friends, they're always asking, why not a fastback or a shelby. A 65 with a 289 engine and the top down is a great Sunday driver.

• Winner
Reactions: NWICY and MeanDean

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Ha! I have a C7 Z06. It's not a ZR1 but it's close enough for me. It's got plenty of go AND stop.

I've driven plenty of Chevelles and even owned one... but I've never seen a true LS6 anywhere other than a car show or an auction.
My guy buys and sometimes sells. He's got enough connections to find things. Unbelievable for me because I get to live vicariously through his generosity. I'd never be able to touch this kind of stuff on my own. He's a big GM guy, but really likes Corvettes. I also drove his 2020 Corvette which at the time had just showed up to replace the 2014 he had been daily driving in the summer. Sold the ZR1 to order the new ZO6, which I'm sure has been delivered by now.

Also had:
70 Cutlass 455
67 Chevelle 396 or 427?
69 Camaro 350
70 Stingray 454

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
1695327994038.png

I've wanted one since I was a kid. - It is 100% a toy car though. ZERO room for any cargo. The biggest complaint that Chrysler received was that it couldn't even hold a set of golf clubs.

Chrysler's response:

1695328180119.png

Trigger

Dec 30, 2011

Anyone that asks me about my Chevelle always seems to ask why I changed so much from the original car and this is the exact reason. If you put that kind of time and money into a car, what sense does it make to have a finished product that rides and operates with 50 year old technology. Unless you have some sort of super rare car to where you are destroying a lot of value by not going original - make it work for you.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Anyone that asks me about my Chevelle always seems to ask why I changed so much from the original car and this is the exact reason. If you put that kind of time and money into a car, what sense does it make to have a finished product that rides and operates with 50 year old technology. Unless you have some sort of super rare car to where you are destroying a lot of value by not going original - make it work for you.
Well said. Certainly there is value (and cool factor) in numbers matching all original condition, but a restomod is much easier to live with. Hell, I upgrade my modern stuff to make them more fun to drive. A lot of these dream cars have major compromises relative to everyday cars. Things like having to adjust a carburetor, no cruise, power steering or AC in a lot of these cases. Even the calf sizzler door sills on the relatively contemporary early gen Vipers.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: cstrunk

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I had a 65 Mustang Convertible, rangoon red with red interior. 289. C4 Auto. I had it about 20 years. I thought once I retired I'd drive it a lot more. I like my 89 GT 5.0L Convertible so much better for everything but to be seen in. It still only has less than 40k miles. Ordered it new and received it on June 30, 1989. Red over Titanium with white leather interior and white top. Five speed.

My dream car has always been a 68 Shelby GT500KR. Red with saddle interior. With the 4 speed. Very very few were built.

1695334729986.jpeg

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
And I sold the Fairlane that is my avatar about 5 weeks ago. Since moving from an oversized 4 car garage to an undersized 2 car garage it was just too much trouble to move vehicles out of the way then move them back afterwards. Consequently I was only driving it 4 or 5 times a year. It went to a good home. To me that's important.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Is there anybody else here who just isn’t a car guy? I honestly don’t have a dream car.

Reactions: Jer