Downtown Royals Stadium

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
My point is that our peers are basically in the same spot we are, and they have already done all of the downtown stadium/entertainment district thing especially in the case of the Twins. And their revenue is right on par with ours. So the question on tap for the residents is if they want to spend 2 billion dollars to increase their revenue 7 million/year like the Twins have done.

Doesn't seem like a great investment but I'm not the one paying for it.
It's not always on the residents though is it, aren't some bonds hotel-tax based?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Who knows what's gonna happen with Chicago. For all we know they could be heading up to Arlington Heights at the Bears place or become the Nashville Sox.

Head to Nashville.

No one would notice.

They had a chance in the early 90s to build a great ballpark in a great location.

They held the state hostage and built a tomb in a bad location.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Head to Nashville.

No one would notice.

They had a chance in the early 90s to build a great ballpark in a great location.

They held the state hostage and built a tomb in a bad location.
I've never liked Kaufmann Stadium. Other than the fountains the park doesn't really have any personality imo. It has good views and it's easy to get in and out of but it ends there. It's a big round park on the outskirts of town that isn't even a hitters park. Down in a hole, hot as hell, nothing to do around the ballpark, etc...

• Dumb
Reactions: CycloneVet

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I've never liked Kaufmann Stadium. Other than the fountains the park doesn't really have any personality imo. It has good views and it's easy to get in and out of but it ends there. It's a big round park on the outskirts of town that isn't even a hitters park. Down in a hole, hot as hell, nothing to do around the ballpark, etc...

I get what @BryceC is saying with the revenue, but what you have to look at is the whole picture with what it brings to the city, the metro and the state. I personally feel that baseball is in the “novelty” phase right now. People don’t care THAT much about winning, it’s more about nostalgia, the experience, and having an identity that sells merch and promotes the city. KC loves the Royals imo and I think a new stadium would only make that love grow and that’s what it takes for a low-mid market club to thrive. It’s an investment in the city and the fans as much as it is a direct investment in the club to make it a winner.

• Agree

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Ha- I hate hitters' parks :). Speed, defense, and stretching singles into doubles and doubles into triples is far more exciting than watching trots every other inning. That style also fits the Royals' budget more as we never seem to afford power guys. I hope the new park is a wasteland in the OF

Give me a 1-0 battle every time.

That said, the upgrade will be nice, regardless

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I get what @BryceC is saying with the revenue, but what you have to look at is the whole picture with what it brings to the city, the metro and the state. I personally feel that baseball is in the “novelty” phase right now. People don’t care THAT much about winning, it’s more about nostalgia, the experience, and having an identity that sells merch and promotes the city. KC loves the Royals imo and I think a new stadium would only make that love grow and that’s what it takes for a low-mid market club to thrive. It’s an investment in the city and the fans as much as it is a direct investment in the club to make it a winner.
I agree with this. I definitely have some nostalgia about the K myself. I've been going to games there since I was young. It's just time for a new business model to compete this day and age. I think in 30 years the city will be glad they made the investment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Land Shark

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I agree with this. I definitely have so nostalgia about the K myself. I've been going to games there since I was young. It's just time for a new business model to compete this day and age. I think in 30 years the city will be glad they made the investment.

The only big mistake that KC could make here is trying to rebrand the Royals with this move.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Ha- I hate hitters' parks :). Speed, defense, and stretching singles into doubles and doubles into triples is far more exciting than watching trots every other inning. That style also fits the Royals' budget more as we never seem to afford power guys. I hope the new park is a wasteland in the OF

Give me a 1-0 battle every time.

That said, the upgrade will be nice, regardless
I'm the type of guy (for regular season games anyway)that would rather see 8 home runs in a game and leave in the 7th because i've already been there for 3 hours than see a 2 hour 1-0 game.

Last edited:

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

I just don't see building a target or Truist field knockoff as being an upgrade. I've been to Target field... I like it but I wouldn't say it has "personality."

I think you take the aspects of Kauffman that people are nostalgic for (fountains, crown scoreboard) and incorporate that into a new park. Those renderings were a big bag of meh and while I don't believe for a second that a new ballpark would add this huge economic impact to the team or the city I am not going to stand in the way of progress either... I would just prefer the progress be to blaze their own path of stadium design; incorporate new and old.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I just don't see building a target or Truist field knockoff as being an upgrade. I've been to Target field... I like it but I wouldn't say it has "personality."

I think you take the aspects of Kauffman that people are nostalgic for (fountains, crown scoreboard) and incorporate that into a new park. Those renderings were a big bag of meh and while I don't believe for a second that a new ballpark would add this huge economic impact to the team or the city I am not going to stand in the way of progress either... I would just prefer the progress be to blaze their own path of stadium design; incorporate new and old.
As long as KC builds a modern park and not a retro(Pittsburgh) or retro-modern(like the Twins)I think it will work well and age well. The designs are more modern and look like they blend in with new buildings better. The retro look was cool for the first 10 parks that did it but it's getting pretty cliche nowadays.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
As long as KC builds a modern park and not a retro(Pittsburgh) or retro-modern(like the Twins)I think it will work well and age well. The designs are more modern a look like they blend in with new buildings better.

Baseball teams looking to build new stadiums would be wise to use newer MLS venues as a blueprint.

• Winner

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
As a Twins fan, I will say its pretty much BS when they say they'll be more competitive in a new stadium, but with that said, Target Field is a gem, and we love going to games.
Obviously you have to have good management to win. You have to like the Twins chances of being better at Target Field vs the Metrodome on a year-to-year basis though right?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Obviously you have to have good management to win. You have to like the Twins chances of being better at Target Field vs the Metrodome on a year-to-year basis though right?

In most ways I would agree. Having an indoor turf building has its advantages though. Building a team around that very specific atmosphere seems like a small advantage that can make a big difference, especially in the playoffs.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

As a Twins fan, I will say its pretty much BS when they say they'll be more competitive in a new stadium, but with that said, Target Field is a gem, and we love going to games.

I get your perspective Gunner. If you want a nicer field and more stuff around it that makes perfect sense. The fan experience would probably be a bit better in another location. But like Redline said, people who make the argument that the team will be more competitive or revenue for the team will increase significantly are lying to you. That's just absolutely not true.

Again, I've been to the Cubs, Twins, and Cardinals in the last year. There is almost nothing unique about any of these locations if you ask me other than the bleachers at the Cubs and that's just basically due to the crowd there. Yeah, you can see the arch in St. Louis if you're sitting behind the plate. But you stare at it for a few minutes and then it's just a baseball game in a generic stadium other than that. These districts around the stadiums are absolutely, 100% cookie cutter now though.

• Agree
Reactions: Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I get your perspective Gunner. If you want a nicer field and more stuff around it that makes perfect sense. The fan experience would probably be a bit better in another location. But like Redline said, people who make the argument that the team will be more competitive or revenue for the team will increase significantly are lying to you. That's just absolutely not true.

Again, I've been to the Cubs, Twins, and Cardinals in the last year. There is almost nothing unique about any of these locations if you ask me other than the bleachers at the Cubs and that's just basically due to the crowd there. Yeah, you can see the arch in St. Louis if you're sitting behind the plate. But you stare at it for a few minutes and then it's just a baseball game in a generic stadium other than that. These districts around the stadiums are absolutely, 100% cookie cutter now though.

Totally agree with you. There are only a few pretty sure things in baseball. The Yankees and The Cardinals being really good (over any given 10 year span) and everyone else just trying to pop in when they can.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
The K sucks. It's outdated. Been there recently?
lol the K still rocks and is among the better ballparks in the league. Don’t know what it looks like underneath, but the exterior is still awesome. I’m also 100% certain they’re putting off repainting the batters eye area in CF

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
No it's not. Not if you've been to other parks. The 2010 renovation was already outdated by 2015. You are just content with MLB being in town regardless of how the product is. People like me are sick of losing and watching similar markets make 4x the revenue with new stadiums and entertainment districts. The Royals staying at the K is bad for baseball in general. Move the team to a city that wants them then.

Do you own the property where the proposed stadium is going? ;)