Down on the Farm

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Holly *******! My dad did the first one. Never knew anyone got a picture of it. How did ISU get it?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The bridge pictures reminded me of the rural bridge paranoia I had while driving my dad’s fuel delivery truck decades ago on rural deliveries. Couldn’t take certain routes with old bridges with a full load on but could cross them empty. Crossing the old Quaker Mill bridge (old bowstring style with a wood deck) near Manchester was not something I liked doing even empty. That and the early spring question of "Is that road really passable with a full load on?"

Last edited:

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I'm guessing the reason my father-in-law never asked me to help on his farm is he didn't want a city boy like me pulling one of these stunts.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I'm guessing the reason my father-in-law never asked me to help on his farm is he didn't want a city boy like me pulling one of these stunts.
Same here with my grandpa. My cousin on the other hand was driving a tractor in elementary school...

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Same here with my grandpa. My cousin on the other hand was driving a tractor in elementary school...

It's a lot different now then it was back when I was a kid. I was running vehicles back and forth between farms when I was 11. That included trucks, cars, tractors pulling wagons, manure spreaders, feed grinder, combine. I can't imagine my 14 yr old doing that today.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Hubby was driving a tractor in the fields before he was tall enough to reach the pedals sitting down...maybe 8, 10 years old. No way would that happen with the modern stuff. I'm not sure I'M tall enough to drive the modern rigs sitting down! ;)

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Not to mention there are probably fatigue issues involved with a lot of them. Farmers always put in their 8 hours then go into the house and rest - even during the harvest.

I just hope whoever put this together was fatigued as well. It is kind of embarrassing to have Iowa State's name on something with this bad of a mistake:

Its just for fun. I've seen this before in a slide show before extension meetings start.

And the bridges thing is absolutely true. Those weight requirements are not a suggestion.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
Hubby was driving a tractor in the fields before he was tall enough to reach the pedals sitting down...maybe 8, 10 years old. No way would that happen with the modern stuff. I'm not sure I'M tall enough to drive the modern rigs sitting down! ;)

Probably not, the controls are designed to fit the middle 80% of the male population. If the room is available you expand the design to fit the middle 90% of the male population.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Probably not, the controls are designed to fit the middle 80% of the male population. If the room is available you expand the design to fit the middle 90% of the male population.

Aww, don't worry, KC, the aftermarket industry has you covered:

th

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
10 ton bridge, 25 ton plus setup. Someone is paying for a new bridge.

Is is that how it works? Do they have to pay to replace it? Or just pay a fine and the bridge gets funded with state road funds?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Aww, don't worry, KC, the aftermarket industry has you covered:

th

Aw, geeee...Thanks, zeros! Always thinking of the little people!

I tried a set-up like that in a car once...probably the most awkward design ever. No feeling of control through your feet; think really really squishy brakes...