Dowling and Valley recruiting players From all over

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
You can kind of point that way around every metro in Iowa right now and it's only going to get worse.

CR/Marion--North Linn

Iowa City--Clear Creek Amana and Solon

Waterloo/CF--Dike-New Hartford (Denver and Jesup are coming)

Dubuque--Western Dubuque (though they're 4A now) and Cascade

The Iowa City reference may be right but the others just simply aren’t.

DNH benefits from having families locate there that work in CF but want a smaller school, but I don’t know of many/any that open-enroll from CF to DNH. Denver is the same exact story, Jesup is just way off base for this example.

No one drives from CR to Coggon to open enroll. Coggon is way more rural farm town than it is CR suburb.

Same story for Epworth. Wahlert recruiting Dubuque, then playing a 3A schedule is a better example of recruiting issues than anything Western Dubuque does. Plus Western Dubuque has been 4A off and on anyway over the last decade.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
DNH benefits from having families locate there that work in CF but want a smaller school, but I don’t know of many/any that open-enroll from CF to DNH. Denver is the same exact story, Jesup is just way off base for this example.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty positive DNH's top 2-3 baseball players are from CF (for their state tournament baseball team). I'm unsure if they played other sports or what their football/basketball situation is like. I'm curious why the poster you quoted thought Denver and Jesup were on the come up as they haven't really been overly successful in any sports despite maybe a couple state appearances but nothing sustainable

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I may be wrong but I'm pretty positive DNH's top 2-3 baseball players are from CF (for their state tournament baseball team). I'm unsure if they played other sports or what their football/basketball situation is like. I'm curious why the poster you quoted thought Denver and Jesup were on the come up as they haven't really been overly successful in any sports despite maybe a couple state appearances but nothing sustainable

Wrestling they were a beast up until the last year. Denver that is.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Wrestling they were a beast up until the last year. Denver that is.
Forgot about that, it's not really a sport I pay attention to much. I wonder if that's a result of CF kids or just a really good culture with a coach that had been there for awhile. He's not there anymore due to some uh.. transgressions.. from what I've heard

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Forgot about that, it's not really a sport I pay attention to much. I wonder if that's a result of CF kids or just a really good culture with a coach that had been there for awhile. He's not there anymore due to some uh.. transgressions.. from what I've heard

Not sure what happened but he could definitely be brash. He was one of my oldest boys coaches for national duals in JH and I cringed slightly when he would talk freely to them. His son graduated so he "left" at that time to. The Tripoli thing helped also. Dylan Peters was from there and several of the bigger name guys were. I know they had a couple from the waterloo/CF area over the years, but can't remember exactly who that was. Wrestling has a lot of movement anyhow, so it wasn't just them.

I remember Ben Bruns is from there, played my HS in the playoffs if I recall.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Minnesota has now moved football to the spring. Let's see how many of the northern-tier schools in Iowa benefit.
You may also get a bunch of athletes from Omaha as the Nebraska HS Athletics has said no transfers into Nebraska schools and Omaha is looking at delaying the season, if not outright cancelling.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
For sure the private schools and the schools that are almost suburbs off wealthy larger cities have a massive head start in athletics for many reasons. Its only going to continue to get worse as well as those large cities keep growing out. Schools from around the Cedar Falls area should compete for state births in every sport if they have the right coaches.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The Iowa City reference may be right but the others just simply aren’t.

No one drives from CR to Coggon to open enroll. Coggon is way more rural farm town than it is CR suburb.

Agreed. Alburnett or Springville are more likely...but we also have Xavier which takes care of all that.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Highlands Ranch (CO) quarterback Jake Rubley, a 4-star QB & Kansas State commit, confirms he is coming to Iowa to play his senior football season. Rubley told our sister station, KDVR in Denver, that he will be transferring to WDM Valley.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
In a sense this is happening to Van Meter.

They don't go from total dog sh*t to winning football and baseball state titles overnight for no reason.

Not that they are so much "recruiting" but they've figured out they can get the Waukee athletes and go beat up on 2A schools.

Van Meter is one of those schools in the sweet spot for athletic success. Smaller 1A to 2A school that can draw young families out of Waukee that do not want to send their kids to a large 4A school. Housing is cheaper out there, good tax base so the school has great facilities. What are they 20 minutes down I 80 to Jordan Creek, but with small town living.

They will continue to have success as long as they do not grow too large and lose their current advantage of being a 1A/2A school.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I am anticipating some of the local kids who get bumped by incoming transfers gather up a dozen or two kids and start up a walkout on their coach.

• Disagree

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Class A West Hancock adds a player from California.

That kids family moved to clear lake a couple months ago because he had family in Iowa I heard. Let you guess why he isn’t going out at clear lake, lol.

• Informative
Reactions: hunttr82

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
North Linn?

Yea, I’m not sure that poster has every been to Troy Mills. No one from Marion or CR is sending their kids there. It’s also like a 25 minute drive North

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Open enrolling doesn't work well for football because you can only do it in the fall and they aren't eligible until the season is almost over.

that's why you open enroll in May and go out for baseball. Wink wink.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
What's take home after union dues?

It's gone up since my parents started but then they both just retired. My father got his degree as a second career later in life and he started at 28k maybe fifteen years ago.

there are no teacher unions in Iowa are there? They have PEI (not a union), but that's pretty cheap.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If you move, parental change, and a couple other things allow open enrollment to happen after the March 1st deadline.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron