Don't shoot the messenger....latest Mhver tweet.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
It's not the worst neither
True and the big ten can always invite us later. Either way we are in the camp of: not in the southern/sec/jackassery superleague, but above lower levels of teams. It wouldn't be perfect, but it's not a disaster either.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
From a fan perspective all but 3 schools in the B1G are a days drive away. Only Colorado meets that criteria in the PAC-12.
Our entire division (Big 12 remnants) would still be mostly a drive away. Plus now you have Colorado. So it’ll be about 50/50 for road games.

Reactions: CascadeClone

jimonalog

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2020
Just gut guess, but doesn't the proximity between two teams correlate with relative intensity driving eyeballs and streaming? I don't care about Minnesota-Rutgers until MN is in the same conference with us. Visa versa. Right?

Reactions: CyclonePigskin

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Pac would be cool for several reasons, and so would the B1G with the obvious financial reasons too. Games against Nebraska, KU, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, and Wisconsin among others would be fun. Make Ohio State our new *******.
Fify

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Our entire division (Big 12 remnants) would still be mostly a drive away. Plus now you have Colorado. So it’ll be about 50/50 for road games.
Ohio St. would be the 12th closest team in a 16 team B1G that included KU and ISU, and its about a 9.5 hours drive. If you include Colorado there would be 5 teams in a PAC-20 scenario that are that close to ISU. 12 vs 5. The two aren't really comparable. Even if you throw TCU in the mix it's still not comparable. But what are we talking about anyways. We all know the B1G scenario is superior in just about every way, which is why it probably won't happen. If we end up merging with the PAC-12 I'd be happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dormeezy

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
A trip to AZ/Cali vs. a trip to Pennsylvania/Maryland is not a huge difference.

Oh boo hoo, another 30 minutes on the plane. What a nightmare! Will the players be able to handle it?
Of course you pick 2 of the easternmost schools in the B1G to compare to. Never mind that you have Nebby, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, and Wisconsin as an easy day trip for most. I'm 100% supportive of taking a PAC12 offer, but B1G is a better option in almost every facet.

• Winner
Reactions: xboxfever

Iowast8isgr8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 28, 2010
My take on the original post is that Big 12 leftovers may not necessarily include Iowa State, Kansas, or West Virginia. Those decisions may have already been made by the Big 10 and ACC. The Big 12 leftovers may be KState, Ok State, Texas Tech, and TCU. I don't see Baylor getting into the Pac12. All IMHO, nothing official known.....

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
You guys comparing what's left of the Big 12 merged with the PAC to the B1G are not being realistic. Sure the travel to the old Big that included all the old Big 8 teams wasn't bad, but its nothing like it was then. Now add a few more Pac schools and the travel will get even farther.

If you want to compare that to what we would have in the B1G west its night and day different. Even with a few of our current Big 12 teams in the mix.

Considering the furthest away B1G west team would be Purdue, a 7 hr drive, and they would most likely move to the East. Every single one of the rest are closer than our nearest Big 12 opponent currently in Kansas, which may be going with us.

Going to the PAC even with keeping the Big 12 refugees is not a great option considering after the last round we are left on an island by ourselves as it is. The B1G west has numerous teams only a few hours drive away or less. Its not even close, to the same travel as what the PAC/Big12 would be.

I realize you would have to play a few East teams too, but you would have to play a few coastal Pac teams too, and comparing those is the same scenario, probably over double the travel to all the Pac coastal teams compared to the B1G East teams.

If fans want to travel in numbers we are known for, it will be much easier in the B1G West than in any form of PAC/BIG merger or even Big12 revival.

And one last thing I would love to have that Iowa game as a in conference game to possibly free up a game we can schedule with some other teams. Something we havent been able to do since the old Big 12 days.

ImperialCyclone

Sep 11, 2012
The B1G isn’t an option in my opinion. All industry sources and media members that matter have the 8 big 12 leftovers adding teams and taking a lower payout. We need to figure out a way to get more $ to our AD so we can keep Campbell and his staff. That is all that matters.

Reactions: Cyclad

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The B1G isn’t an option in my opinion. All industry sources and media members that matter have the 8 big 12 leftovers adding teams and taking a lower payout. We need to figure out a way to get more $ to our AD so we can keep Campbell and his staff. That is all that matters.
Everything that the experts & media sources spout is really speculation based on no inside knowledge. People are just pimping for clicks

The only people that really understand the dynamics are the commissioners of the ACC, SEC and Big10, plus about a dozen AD's in those 3 conferences plus a handful of Pac12 presidents/AD's.

I feel pretty confident in saying that because not much leaking from the conference offices or schools. IMO there are a lot of back channel discussions going in between networks, commissioners and maybe 6-10 schools. And at this point, ISU isn't one of them.

The other people working overtime are the bean counters at the Networks and conference offices.

• Winner
Reactions: CascadeClone

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
You guys comparing what's left of the Big 12 merged with the PAC to the B1G are not being realistic. Sure the travel to the old Big that included all the old Big 8 teams wasn't bad, but its nothing like it was then. Now add a few more Pac schools and the travel will get even farther.

If you want to compare that to what we would have in the B1G west its night and day different. Even with a few of our current Big 12 teams in the mix.

Considering the furthest away B1G west team would be Purdue, a 7 hr drive, and they would most likely move to the East. Every single one of the rest are closer than our nearest Big 12 opponent currently in Kansas, which may be going with us.

Going to the PAC even with keeping the Big 12 refugees is not a great option considering after the last round we are left on an island by ourselves as it is. The B1G west has numerous teams only a few hours drive away or less. Its not even close, to the same travel as what the PAC/Big12 would be.

I realize you would have to play a few East teams too, but you would have to play a few coastal Pac teams too, and comparing those is the same scenario, probably over double the travel to all the Pac coastal teams compared to the B1G East teams.

If fans want to travel in numbers we are known for, it will be much easier in the B1G West than in any form of PAC/BIG merger or even Big12 revival.

And one last thing I would love to have that Iowa game as a in conference game to possibly free up a game we can schedule with some other teams. Something we havent been able to do since the old Big 12 days.
Agree based on the common premise of traveling to away games. But shouldn't there be some logic to a growing fanbase not requiring visiting fans? The visiting fans consume maybe 5% of the allocated space in a stadium. That, to some extent, could create competition to justify ticket price increase. But, I'd argue the 'home' fanbase alone should be the bar for that. Therefore, 'traveling fans' becomes much less important than quality games in the eyes of the media contract and the cross timezone fans become the greater target. I'm just providing some objective info for P12/B12 merger, but I'd rather see the B1G deal workout.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Agree based on the common premise of traveling to away games. But shouldn't there be some logic to a growing fanbase not requiring visiting fans? The visiting fans consume maybe 5% of the allocated space in a stadium. That, to some extent, could create competition to justify ticket price increase. But, I'd argue the 'home' fanbase alone should be the bar for that. Therefore, 'traveling fans' becomes much less important than quality games in the eyes of the media contract and the cross timezone fans become the greater target. I'm just providing some objective info for P12/B12 merger, but I'd rather see the B1G deal workout.
What you say is true, but not every game is going to be against a quality opponent. So you need visiting fans to make up the difference if you want a sellout or close to it for those remaining games.

If you look at the attendence eight of the ten games with the highest attendence at JTS, are games involving UNI and Iowa. Both of those schools could bring a large number of fans to the game because its an easy drive to the game and back.

ISU has made huge strides in attendence over the last 5 years, it was not long ago people were saying we were silly to expand the stadium because we could not fill it most Saturdays, but now its looking like we should have added 5,000 more seats at least.

The Big 12 has always been hurt because of the distance between us and the other conference schools, and only 3 teams besides us bring a crowd to the game. One more reason we would be better off in the Big 10, I suspect that Wis, Minn, Iowa and Nebraska would all be sellouts in JTS if they were the opponent on a given Saturday. I know that TT, Baylor and Kansas never will be.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
If ISU gets into the B1G, they absolutely will draw more visiting fans. Minny fans are only 3 hours away (ISU will now be their closest school to travel to), Hoks, Nebbie and Wisky will fill what is left of the Jack... assuming they are any tickets to buy other than the secondary market. Other schools will send fans as well to check out the "newbies". It's a win win.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron