Do we throw deep enough?

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
I hear a lot of people say we don't stretch the field enough. Personally I feel they have tried some but obviously not been successfull. It seems like mangino only takes a few shots per game which would be par for the course with his coaching history. Anyway I think if we continue to run well we will see more deep tthrows. Rant over.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Not necessarily throwing deep, but just stretching the field and completing passes of 10-15 yards could be successful. And yes, a good running game will open up more chances to get some deeper completions, instead of throwing bubble screens all the time.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Does Sam not have the arm to throw deep? I bet if we can throw deep balls to Lazard, he will come down a with quite a few of them.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Need to use our size to our advantage more. I like Lazard's odds on a deep pass against a 5'10 corner

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
It was nice to see some throws across the middle yesterday. To me, that was an even more critical missing piece to our offense.

Completely agree, I was just starting to complain to the guy next to me at the stadium and the next series they threw over the middle several times that possession. Guess I should have waited one more series before I started complaining.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
It isn't totally that we don't throw deep enough as it is not enough of our catches are made going away from the LOS. ****, can we please put a cap on the horrible WR screens until we learn to execute them and get the correct WR to run them?

AWOL2000

Feb 13, 2008
Lawry Crossing, TX
Need to use our size to our advantage more. I like Lazard's odds on a deep pass against a 5'10 corner

I think Lazard is good but I can't remember a jump ball he has come down with when battling a defender, a la Montgomery Saturday. He has had a few opportunities to make these kinds of plays but I can't remember one where he actually has made the catch.

boyd

Feb 19, 2012
I hear a lot of people say we don't stretch the field enough. Personally I feel they have tried some but obviously not been successfull. It seems like mangino only takes a few shots per game which would be par for the course with his coaching history. Anyway I think if we continue to run well we will see more deep tthrows. Rant over.

Very disappointing , I'am afraid our Q back is not good at it.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
No. We need to go downfield more often. And good things happen when this team attacks the middle of the field with our WRs..... bad things happen when we focus on short sideline throws. We'll need to press the action from here on out.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
I think Lazard is good but I can't remember a jump ball he has come down with when battling a defender, a la Montgomery Saturday. He has had a few opportunities to make these kinds of plays but I can't remember one where he actually has made the catch.

Yeah he doesn't have the greatest hands. Very good at adjusting his body to the ball though.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Or DVM for that matter. I think DVM has the best hands on our team, and he is even a little taller than Lazard. And Bundrage/Wesley/Daley have the speed to get deep fast. We've got the weapons; if we can use them effectively and our QB makes the throws, we can win some more games.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
Chris Williams says we have the best receivers in the Big 12.

We should probably be throwing deep on every play.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Or DVM for that matter. I think DVM has the best hands on our team, and he is even a little taller than Lazard. And Bundrage/Wesley/Daley have the speed to get deep fast. We've got the weapons; if we can use them effectively and our QB makes the throws, we can win some more games.

Lazard is the most sure handed receiver on the team.

Even Kansas was taking deep shots against us. I would like to think our WR vs their DB is a better match up than their WR on our DB.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
Baylor and TCU have GREAT receivers. All world.

Chris Williams thinks that ISU has the best receivers in the conference.

He should address this with Mangino or CPR.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Don't know what doctor said but don't care. He is one of the extremely few posters on this site on my blocked list.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I think we would go deep more often if Sam didn't overthrow then every time

I agree with this. Accuracy has been an issue. I do not know why CPR has stuck it out with this guy for so long. Most likely going to cost him his job.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron