Do we go JUCO to replace George at MLB next year?

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
People whining about talent. One of the big recruiting perks was just built last year, how would the RS sophmores and juniors be used as an example of that talent? The facilities obviously paid off with our recruiting class last season and this years is looking pretty decent as well. It takes time, Rhoads classes were comparable to any other classes ISU had in the past and they seem to be improving so ******* chill.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
He may be a "good leader" but he misses so many tackles and gets burned in coverage all the time. I think Luke Knott is better and will be a way better football player when it is all said and done. Jacques Washington has a had nice career but last I heard he has "packed it in" for the season basically giving up and is just trying to teach the young guys. Pathetic if true, and I hope thats just a rumor.

His body language and the way he has been playing certainly suggest otherwise.

In all honesty, a pretty rotten thing to say about a stand up guy who has played his heart out for the Clones.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Since when does filling the wrong gap, ducking behind blocks, and whiffing on tackles get you all-conference honors?

Knott and Klein made those mistakes too. They made quite a few of those mistakes. Linebackers make those mistakes a lot more than people realize. George has been dogged for a couple years because he' not those two guys who everyone loved and rightly so. I point out there flaws just because i don't think George has ever been given some of the leniency they got at times. They were good, they were leaders, they were tough and they were probably two out of the best 4 defenders to ever come out of ISU. George isn't that but he's not nearly what some of you make him out to be because you expect a MLB to do everything at all times. I have learned, though, that unless you were contributing a lot at a freshman or sophomore and fall into the good graces, as a senior you will be the scapegoat for any issues. It won't be Brackens being run out of his responsibility (I saw George blamed twice for something that was Brackens responsibility last game) or Knott losing the edge. It will be George. Next year it will be Brackens.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Knott and Klein made those mistakes too. They made quite a few of those mistakes. Linebackers make those mistakes a lot more than people realize. George has been dogged for a couple years because he' not those two guys who everyone loved and rightly so. I point out there flaws just because i don't think George has ever been given some of the leniency they got at times. They were good, they were leaders, they were tough and they were probably two out of the best 4 defenders to ever come out of ISU. George isn't that but he's not nearly what some of you make him out to be because you expect a MLB to do everything at all times. I have learned, though, that unless you were contributing a lot at a freshman or sophomore and fall into the good graces, as a senior you will be the scapegoat for any issues. It won't be Brackens being run out of his responsibility (I saw George blamed twice for something that was Brackens responsibility last game) or Knott losing the edge. It will be George. Next year it will be Brackens.

I would never imply that J.G. is on the level of AK47 or JK20, nor would I expect it. We're talking about guys who are playing on Sunday. I also wasn't dogging J.G. completely either. He's a good player, and I think he's being severely impacted by a defensive line that isn't holding up it's end of the bargain.

Maybe I read something into your earlier response that wasn't there, but it looked to me as if you were predicting all-conference honors for J.G., and I was expressing my opinion that I don't think that's going to happen at all.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I would never imply that J.G. is on the level of AK47 or JK20, nor would I expect it. We're talking about guys who are playing on Sunday. I also wasn't dogging J.G. completely either. He's a good player, and I think he's being severely impacted by a defensive line that isn't holding up it's end of the bargain.

Maybe I read something into your earlier response that wasn't there, but it looked to me as if you were predicting all-conference honors for J.G., and I was expressing my opinion that I don't think that's going to happen at all.

Yeah, I think he will. I don't see him dropping places in tackle numbers and a guy leading the conference in tackles isn't usually left off those lists. There's a lot of space between AJ/Jake and not making that list. Especially in a league without that great of linebacker play anyway.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I do think that the D has some young talent. They are just missing a few pieces and the pieces they do have are inexperienced for the most part. Just going over the positions:

DE: Scott should not be a starter at this level. He'll make some plays, but disappears at times and gets worn down. Not his fault, he should be more of a situational player. Morrissey has shown flashes. He's gaining good experience and will be better next year. Meyer has really good potential and we've seen him make plays here and there. Just needs another year. Kron has shown the ability to be a decent backup. Lemke has disappointed so far. I thought that he would be a Rony Nelson type pass rusher for us, but he really has yet to make a play in his ISU career. No idea how Waggoner looks in practice. Also not sure if Mattison and/or Meeks ends up here next year.

DT/NG: I think that we've seen that Irving and Coe have potential. We have to remember that they're only 6 games in to playing DT for the first time ever. I believe that with another 10 lbs, Irving may be an NFL player. Jensen IMO is not a B12 starter. He should be a rotation guy. They need a brute like Clinkscales in there (which is looking less and less likely). A big ol' run stuffing NG would change this defense immensely. I think that Aka and Cousins have a bright future in front of them, but it's a lot to ask of a RSFR to play this early on the DL. They're going to be solid rotation guys next year I have no doubt. We've heard good things about Trent, not as much about Garcia, but those two at the very least mean that there are bodies in the pipeline.

LB: We'll miss George some. He's not Klein and Knott, but he's a solid player if there's talent around him. Brackens and Knott are in their first years playing LB and both need to put on some muscle. But I think both can be solid players at least. Next year we'll probably see Keeley step in at MIKE and with the improvement of the other two spots, I think overall the position will be better. Still pretty far from being deep, but at least they will be counting on RSFR for depth and not starters. Mills I think could be a good NB. Not sure where Mattison and Meeks fit. White should be a good second stringer at least although he could very easily push Seeley. It will be interesting to see where Webster fits in.

CB: I believe that the reason Tribune is playing is that they are planning on him starting next year opposite Richardson. They'll miss Watson, but he's dinged more than any CB I can remember. I've been disappointed with Lynn...thought he would be right in there playing more. They have a nice group of TRFR in that should provide some depth.

S: I agree with others that Charlie Rogers is going to start here. I think that the other spot is up for grabs. If they can sign McDaniel, he'll probably start. If not, it could be Cotton or Cotton-Moya. To me, Mutcherson and Schaeffer are depth players.

To me, they need to get some JUCOs to up the depth and competition, but just the natural progression of the younger players they have should make this D better by leaps and bounds. I'd go JUCO at DE, NG, WLB, CB, S.

DE: Morrissey, JUCO, Lemke
DT: Irving, Coe, Aka, Trent
NG: Jensen/JUCO, Cousins, Garcia
DE: Meyers, Kron, Meeks
SAM: Brackens, Mills
MIKE: Seeley/White
WILL: Knott, Webster
CB: Tribune, Lynn
FS: Rogers, Mutcherson/Schaeffer
SS: Cotton-Moya/McDaniel?, Cotton
CB: Richardson, Ruth/JUCO

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
Clinkscales will be tough, but we've still got a shot. After the Bama offer he was quoted as saying they'll be up near the top, but ISU was right up there too. 247 has us, K State and ASU as Warm with Alabama and Auburn also in his top 5 as cool.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
DE: Morrissey, JUCO, Lemke
DT: Irving, Coe, Aka, Trent
NG: Jensen/JUCO, Cousins, Garcia
DE: Meyers, Kron, Meeks
SAM: Brackens, Mills
MIKE: Seeley/White
WILL: Knott, Webster
CB: Tribune, Lynn
FS: Rogers, Mutcherson/Schaeffer
SS: Cotton-Moya/McDaniel?, Cotton
CB: Richardson, Ruth/JUCO
Eeeek. I see about 4 players that are Big 12 quality.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron