Disney to Spin Off ESPN - 2023 Start Date Prediction

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Seems like a big deal.

DIS will begin the spin-off process for ESPN & ABC including launching ESPN in streaming a la carte," Cahall wrote. "Cost rationalization and balance sheet options are critical to reaching this outcome. The result is a better-off remaining DIS

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
It makes the fact that Yormark locked in the B12 contract early even more important. Will hurt the PAC12 while they're trying to negotiate a deal to get some of their games on ESPN in their next contract, but probably not that much.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Seems like a big deal.

DIS will begin the spin-off process for ESPN & ABC including launching ESPN in streaming a la carte," Cahall wrote. "Cost rationalization and balance sheet options are critical to reaching this outcome. The result is a better-off remaining DIS

Wells Fargo is predicting big things for Disney's (DIS) sports network ESPN in 2023.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
It makes the fact that Yormark locked in the B12 contract early even more important. Will hurt the PAC12 while they're trying to negotiate a deal to get some of their games on ESPN in their next contract, but probably not that much.
from everything i've seen Pac 12 may be exclusively on Amazon with the occasional CBS night game.

• Winner
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm curious to see how this goes, what the price points are, etc. We are basically locked in with mostly ESPN games right? I'm trying to decide if we'll be dropping YouTubeTV then.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I'm curious to see how this goes, what the price points are, etc. We are basically locked in with mostly ESPN games right? I'm trying to decide if we'll be dropping YouTubeTV then.

I believe CNBC had an article where the price point of $35/mo for an ESPN stand alone was discussed.

Will be a fairly big change if it happens.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Read the article, this is an WF analyst prediction for 2023, its not actually happening as of now. Probably needed to predict something to meet a 2022 performance objective for his bonus.
Yep. Read the entire article. There are many analysts saying this would be a bad move for Disney in the long run.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Seems unlikely to me being we are going to be seeing more streaming consolidation, not less. I could see all of ESPN being part of the disney plus bundle.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Holy cow that doesn't get them many views does it?
viewership will probably be down- but if you look at the amazon NFL numbers, those are good. now obviously the pac 12 is not the nfl.

they will get a little more money than the big 12 but at the expense of viewership, for sure.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Doesn't make a ton of sense for Disney to do this now, cable is declining but still far more profitable than streaming.

I think Disney will eventually get to a place where you have ESPN, Disney Plus, and Hulu available all on the same app so people can switch from one programming to another without logging in to another service.

• Winner
Reactions: jctisu

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Not sure if you're an NFL fan, but that would probably keep me tied at the hip to YTTV

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
viewership will probably be down- but if you look at the amazon NFL numbers, those are good. now obviously the pac 12 is not the nfl.

they will get a little more money than the big 12 but at the expense of viewership, for sure.

They are going to get more total$$ than us? Interesting, do you have some links? I thought in all the pods and articles I kept hearing we would end up with between $5 and $10 mill annually more than them.

Is Amazon really going to give them that much? Ugh. I want more PAC instability so we can poach.

• Agree
Reactions: IceCyIce

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
They are going to get more total$$ than us? Interesting, do you have some links? I thought in all the pods and articles I kept hearing we would end up with between $5 and $10 mill annually more than them.

Is Amazon really going to give them that much? Ugh. I want more PAC instability so we can poach.
Dude, they have Deion now and he is worth at least an extra $10mil a year per school.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I believe CNBC had an article where the price point of $35/mo for an ESPN stand alone was discussed.

Will be a fairly big change if it happens.

I would consider if it’s all inclusive espn with instant archive. If ISU/b12 was with Fox I’d never consider above $10.

Definitely sept-march if it’s month to month, probably not April-aug

Imho this is where rubber meets the road and the old big eight schools “leftovers” have more value than teams without real engaged fans (Rutgers, nw, ucla, etc)

CloneJD

May 14, 2020

It was one guy’s 2023 prediction that everyone instantly took as gospel.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron