Disney Cruise

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
i did one with my family when i was 21ish? my sisters and bother are younger than me. it was fun but a cruise is always fun IMO. BUT, i went to some of the adult stuff i.e. bars (on ship) in the late evenings it was totally dead and boring. but the ports were more happening. we went over thanksgiving years ago (the year isu lost to UConn in the final game of the season) which reminds me they had an ESPN the Zone on the boat that was very cool....did the western Caribbean.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
well i guess i didnt really answer your question. If the cruise is for the kids, alot of other kids to play with, or ur a disney nut go! If the cruise is for the whole family or adults maybe not, some of the other cruise lines have more stuff for adults, and the kids will still have enough to do.

RustyClone

Dec 16, 2008
Hockenheim
We just went in October. We went on the shorter trip that stopped in the Bahamas and at the Disney Island. I would do it again but this time when everyone else got off the ship in the Bahamas I would stay on board.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Great time, both the kids and the adults enjoyed it greatly. Good food, family entertainment and a heck of a lot better weather than the midwest come late fall.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Disney:

Food - Good to Great. Some of the buffets are tailored towards kid food (chicken nuggets, hot dogs, etc) so you miss a little variety for Adults.

Managemnt of kids- Great (probably best in class) they offer activities all day that y our kids can join any time, they notify you if your kid needs you and they can find your kid anytime

Entertainment - Great (IMO) the stage shows every night were a must see for us; G - PG13 rated but good stuff

Service - Great

If you like Disney "Stuff" (even a little) and/or if you have kids under 16, I highly recommend it. If you like to hang out in bars, gamble, or watch/participate in adult games (hairy chest contest) it is probably not for you.

Also, make sure you check out all the costs of your trip. We did Disney two years ago and Carnival this year. To get on the boat, Carnival was cheaper, however we found the excursions through Disney to be quite a bit cheaper. Overall, the extra expense for Disney wasn't as much as it appeared, and definately worth it.

As far as length, we were on a 7 day and it was great. I have a friend that took a 3 day and wanted to stay longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1100011CS

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
What type of cabin did you guys get? We're considering the one with a balcony. I think it would be nice to sit out on the balcony, have a few drinks, read, whatever while the kids are doing their thing.

Or do you spend all your time on deck?

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Outside with balcony, well worth it. It was nice to get up early and sit on the balcony while the kids slept and watch the sunrise. Or sit there at night and watch the distant lights from other ships sailing by.

Also, we sailed on the Disney Wonder, since you asked about specific ships.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Outside with balcony, well worth it. It was nice to get up early and sit on the balcony while the kids slept and watch the sunrise. Or sit there at night and watch the distant lights from other ships sailing by.

Also, we sailed on the Disney Wonder, since you asked about specific ships.

What time of year did you go?

RustyClone

Dec 16, 2008
Hockenheim

The Bahamas is a 3rd world country and without a reservation at Atlantis or someplace similar you are stuck with public beaches. This opens you up to the locals. If you stay on the ship the pools are pretty much yours. Just my opinion, if I didn't have my kids I wouldn't have minded wandering around a bit but the Disney cruise was about the kids to begin with. Another thing the public beaches near the boat are exposed and the breakers make swimming for kids almost impossible, at least it was on our visit. That said, I would do it all again. My kids really liked it, the cruise that is.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
The Bahamas is a 3rd world country and without a reservation at Atlantis or someplace similar you are stuck with public beaches. This opens you up to the locals. If you stay on the ship the pools are pretty much yours. Just my opinion, if I didn't have my kids I wouldn't have minded wandering around a bit but the Disney cruise was about the kids to begin with. Another thing the public beaches near the boat are exposed and the breakers make swimming for kids almost impossible, at least it was on our visit. That said, I would do it all again. My kids really liked it, the cruise that is.

Doesn't Disney have their own private beach on one of the islands?

MB4CY

Aug 29, 2009
Norwalk, IA
On most cruises, you really have to try hard to NOT enjoy yourself. We've never cruised Disney, but I've heard good things about them. They have a new ship out (Disney Dream) that would probably be fun for the whole family regardless of age, although the new-ness might mean higher rates for a while.

My personal thoughts on balconies is that they're nice, but not a must have. When you're under way there's often a lot of wind out there - more than you usually have top-side. Depends on weather conditions and your cabin location. You might be happier booking an outside (window) cabin and spending the extra couple hundy or so on booze or a shore excursion. Just my two cents worth.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Bahama's public ceach wasn't bad. We don't get to beaches very much so it was nice just to sit there. Disney does have their beach so you could do that there too - with better amenities (food / restrooms / drinks)

Balcony was nice to have - as mentioned above. Good place to be in the morning and a place to get out of the way while the wife and kids were getting ready for supper (shower / changing clothes / etc)

We went in early February. Cheapest time of the year and the weather still warranted shorts/t-shirts and swimming.

If you go, book your excursions early. You don't have to take them, but there are some pretty good ones to try. We have done dolphins, sting rays, tours, but our favorite is the snorkeling. I would read up on each one before you sign up so you know what you are getting into.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
We went in Jan. No kids, but it was free. It was a good time. Pretty good food. Good service. Well ran.

Balcony was nice. The room was pretty big for a ship.

I liked the Bahamas well enough. They had Starbucks with Almond syrup so that helps.

Disney's island was pretty good. Beer and beaches.

If you were going without kids I'd go with Royal Caribbean. With kids Disney makes sense.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
We went in Jan. No kids, but it was free. It was a good time. Pretty good food. Good service. Well ran.

Balcony was nice. The room was pretty big for a ship.

I liked the Bahamas well enough. They had Starbucks with Almond syrup so that helps.

Disney's island was pretty good. Beer and beaches.

If you were going without kids I'd go with Royal Caribbean. With kids Disney makes sense.

Who do you work for? Hiring? :smile: