Dish Dropped Disney Last Niight

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Welp. Didn't realize this. Was very confused by my Sling account just now.

Damnit.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Disney/ESPN is certainly in no way sympathetic, but Dish sabotaging their own customers in the middle of the night is just really bad business. Who the hell is making decisions at that company?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Well still hate Disney/ESPN for destroying college football but kind of happy I didn’t see our special teams play today.

• Haha
Reactions: quasistellar

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
If Disney continues to increase rates to pay for these contracts, I think you're going to see more services like Philo pop up that don't include ESPN. Hell, wonder if Dish would just create two packages with and without sports channels. Might be their way to stay relevant

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
So we have Dish and the Disney plus bundle with ESPN+ and Hulu. Should be ok? I think I could watch whatever US Open match I wanted though ESPN+ on Hulu without logging into cable provider. And we just got Game Show Network back recently so I thought I was all in the clear.:rolleyes: Husband still asleep right in front of the TV or I would check it out.

Make him sleep on the couch Fri night Carvers? ;) That's cold blooded

• Funny
Reactions: carvers4math

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Shocked this was resolved as quick as it was. Usually these negotiations with Dish drag out for weeks sometimes months even when they happen. Being in the heart of college FB and NFL seasons right now they probably did not have much leverage this time as they'd probably hemorrhage more subscribers than they would save on any deal with Disney by waiting it out.

• Agree
Reactions: BigJCy

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Shocked this was resolved as quick as it was. Usually these negotiations with Dish drag out for weeks sometimes months even when they happen. Being in the heart of college FB and NFL seasons right now they probably did not have much leverage this time as they'd probably hemorrhage more subscribers than they would save on any deal with Disney by waiting it out.
I could be wrong but have a feeling Dish took a beating in lost subscribers the last couple of days and they caved much quicker than they normally do.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I could be wrong but have a feeling Dish took a beating in lost subscribers the last couple of days and they caved much quicker than they normally do.

Well there is no better way to piss off customers than to pull channels that football are on just hours before kickoff on a Saturday morning. Had this drug on for a few weeks I was going to call in and get some credits to my bill until they resolve it. Would have sucked to been a phone agent taking calls Saturday and taking a beating from angry customers.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016

Wouldn't surprise me. People often keep these archaic subscriptions specifically to watch these games. Shutting them off without notice really pisses people off.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I am utterly shocked people still use dish or directv. Unless you are living out in the boonies with no internet.

We had 50+ neighbors in the front yard tailgating and waiting for the game to start. Surprise.

I only have DISH for tailgating weekends. Glad this happened on a weekend when I was home with strong internet.

I understand tough negotiating, but to drop ESPN at 3am on a college football Saturday without warning is irresponsible on the part of DISH.