"Diante Garrett Could Be Sleeper of Draft"

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Man I wish he could have redshirted so we had another year here. Imagine him with Allen and White.

Agree. The plan was to redshirt him, but Mike Taylor decided to do something stupid so he had to play. Damn shame too. Although if Mike Taylor stayed who knows how it would have worked out.

I have no idea why anyone is surprised by DG getting drafted. If you watched any games this year he was the best player on the floor almost ever night. NBA game written all over him. 6'4 guard, quick as lightening, can run all day, unreal ball handling skills. You think the Mavericks would like to have DG right now instead of Barea? Yup.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
DG is a good reminder that sometimes the "system" really does matter. DG worked very hard to improve his game, and that, combined with hoiberg's more open offense, worked wonders for DG.

People are going to start saying the same thing about Chris Allen when he's averaging 20ppg for us this year....

I agree. I was actually talking to a lower level college coach the other day and I think they go down to Ames every year just to watch and gain knowledge or drills, or whatever. He said when they were down there, the offense was just something different than what he had seen. They just rolled the ball out there and let them play. Diante thrived in that system. He has all the physical gifts. One on one, no one stopped him all year.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
DG is a good reminder that sometimes the "system" really does matter. DG worked very hard to improve his game, and that, combined with hoiberg's more open offense, worked wonders for DG.

People are going to start saying the same thing about Chris Allen when he's averaging 20ppg for us this year....

Good point. Hopefully we're surprised at Chris Allen, Babb and Booker next year and Lucious the following year.

One thing to keep in mind though is that there are only so many points/minutes/stats to go around. That wasn't a problem for DG this year though, which certainly played to his advantage. Next year, players like Allen and Booker might not have to log close to 40 min/game like DG. That is a good thing, but can hurt your stats line.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I agree. I was actually talking to a lower level college coach the other day and I think they go down to Ames every year just to watch and gain knowledge or drills, or whatever. He said when they were down there, the offense was just something different than what he had seen. They just rolled the ball out there and let them play. Diante thrived in that system. He has all the physical gifts. One on one, no one stopped him all year.

I agree, he definitely struggled at times in the half court but our style was an NBA type game so I think he can help a team out being a spark off the bench. Kind of an instant offense type of guy.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Agree. The plan was to redshirt him, but Mike Taylor decided to do something stupid so he had to play. Damn shame too. Although if Mike Taylor stayed who knows how it would have worked out.

I have no idea why anyone is surprised by DG getting drafted. If you watched any games this year he was the best player on the floor almost ever night. NBA game written all over him. 6'4 guard, quick as lightening, can run all day, unreal ball handling skills. You think the Mavericks would like to have DG right now instead of Barea? Yup.

That is ridiculous. I love me some DG Koolaid, (in fact, I started this thread if you didn't notice) but the backup PG for an NBA finals team that logs good minutes and can score being compared to a likely mid 2nd round draft pick is a little bit.......stupid. Barea is far and away a better player right now.

Last edited:

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Cryptic tweets found by "Diante Garrett" twitter search indicate that Diante again impressed scouts at his Phoenix workout today.

At this point, I'll be really surprised if he goes undrafted.

ISUPoker

Apr 21, 2009
Chicago
DG worked out with the Celtics on the 7th, per the Celtics Twitter: Twitter

Celtics need a backup PG, and DG is a poor man's Rondo, essentially, other than he is a much better shooter than Rondo, but less strength and court vision. Celtics have been looking for a backup PG since landing KG and RayRay (first Sam Cassell trade the 1st year, then Starbury, then Nate Rob trade, picked up Arroyo this year, etc.). He was also the first workout guy listed out of 11 guys listed on Twitter. Read into that how you wish.

sullivm

Nov 2, 2006
FWIW on the same feed:
Ainge: "It's not a strong draft. There's not a lot of players who could change a franchise. We need bigs more than we need smalls."

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I would assume Boston brings back Delonte West to backup Rondo. He's a good reserve PG and Doc Rivers loves him. Plus they have Avery Bradley collecting dust, but he's done nothing yet.

DG will land somewhere.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle

The end of this post is like a car crash; I just can't look away.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
The end of this post is like a car crash; I just can't look away.

Ya I there needs to be more attention on how incredibly stupid all of that was. JJ Barea is now a starter in the NBA finals and just had an incredible game where his performance likely meant the difference in the game.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

It's part system, part increase in tempo. More possesions = more points, he didn't shoot any better he just shot more.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
He's not in this mock draft. As if it means much.

2011 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net

I'm going to guess that it doesn't mean much because that draft has Kanter going #1, which I think has an extremely small chance of happening. Especially because Kanter might be available at #4. That itself doesn't lend a whole lot of credibility to mock draft on that website.

It also has Joseph from Texas going at 35 and Diante Garrett was reported to outperform him in an individual workout.

Last edited:

Bardman

Dec 7, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I'm going to guess that it doesn't mean much because that draft has Kanter going #1, which I think has an extremely small chance of happening. Especially because Kanter might be available at #4.

I asked them why they are keeping DG out of their draft and why they think he has such limited potential and this is how they replied:

"I gave him a 7 in potential, but Aran edited it [to a 6]. To be fair, Garrett didn't really get that much better though. He upped his numbers because he was allowed to dominate the ball and he had to score (which he clearly doesn't like to do much, despite his big scoring numbers as a Sr.) because Iowa State lacked talent. When he played with guys like Brackins and Gilstrap on his team, he looked to get them shots and didn't look to score that much. He was still a generally inefficient scorer throughout his career, even as a Sr. when he had to score more, and he still struggles with his jump shot. He's made marginal improvements, but he's not a guy with huge upside by any stretch."

meh I think they are underestimating his heart and how hard he is working.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I asked them why they are keeping DG out of their draft and why they think he has such limited potential and this is how they replied:

"I gave him a 7 in potential, but Aran edited it [to a 6]. To be fair, Garrett didn't really get that much better though. He upped his numbers because he was allowed to dominate the ball and he had to score (which he clearly doesn't like to do much, despite his big scoring numbers as a Sr.) because Iowa State lacked talent. When he played with guys like Brackins and Gilstrap on his team, he looked to get them shots and didn't look to score that much. He was still a generally inefficient scorer throughout his career, even as a Sr. when he had to score more, and he still struggles with his jump shot. He's made marginal improvements, but he's not a guy with huge upside by any stretch."

There are way, way to many reports talking about how awesome DG is doing in workouts and how he is an underrated player in the draft for me to think he wont get drafted.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering

What a silly response. It sounds like they have looked at his stats and maybe a highlight reel (probably the stupid one from the drake game two years ago). It does not seem like these guys are talking to the scouts running the workouts. Personally, any time someone decreases a player's draft value simply because he had a crappy coach the first three years of his college career is a joke. We still have yet to see DG put in a situation where the deck is not stacked against him (McD the first three years, lack of depth this last year).