Dear America - Iowa Doesn't Care What You Think

clairvoyantdan

Aug 10, 2015
Iowa at least has some control over their non-conference schedule.

Michigan State scheduled Oregon, and at the time they would have scheduled them, they were a better team. Michigan scheduled Utah. Minnesota scheduled TCU. Nebraska scheduled BYU and Miami.

Granted Iowa probably has to play Iowa State; however, they could have found someone better than Illinois State, North Texas, and Pitt.

You mean top 25 Pitt whose only loss is to Iowa? ...

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Dear Iowa (and Jon Miller)

America doesn't care what you think.

PS - your schedule is hilarious.

Signed,

Everyone

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Except that's not a fact. To date we have the 35th ranked SOS - higher than TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan State, Florida St. or Clemson etc.

Difference of course being that all of those teams will be tested by good teams. Iowa's SOS will fall like a rock for the rest of the year.

clairvoyantdan

Aug 10, 2015
Difference of course being that all of those teams will be tested by good teams. Iowa's SOS will fall like a rock for the rest of the year.

You're talking about games that haven't occurred. Iowa has already proved themselves by beating everyone on 35th ranked SOS. 2 ranked teams on the road, 1 ranked team after we played - all 3 of those teams have only lost to ranked teams and have beaten numerous ranked teams themselves.

clairvoyantdan

Aug 10, 2015
Pitt hasn't beaten a single team with a winning record. I guess Youngstown State is 3-3, although they needed overtime to beat mighty Robert Morris.

They've beaten everyone they've played besides Iowa..
What about Northwestern? They've beaten #10 Stanford (who beat #6 USC and #18 UCLA) and #23 Duke.
Wisconsin has only lost to #8 Alabama and #12 Iowa.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
You're talking about games that haven't occurred. Iowa has already proved themselves by beating everyone on 35th ranked SOS. 2 ranked teams on the road, 1 ranked team after we played - all 3 of those teams have only lost to ranked teams and have beaten numerous ranked teams themselves.

That's not how it works. Iowa is now on the easy half of their schedule, and the "hard" part only included one ranked team(for now). While everyone else out there proving themselves Iowa will be playing the dregs of the Big 10 known as the West division.

Better tout that SOS while you can, because at the end of the season when it matters Iowa will have one of the nation's worst. Btw I know you're bad at math but #35 isn't anything to brag about.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
What about Northwestern? They've beaten #10 Stanford (who beat #6 USC and #18 UCLA) and #23 Duke.

The issue I was addressing is whoever said Iowa can't control their weak schedule. Other Big Ten teams are willing to schedule better non-conference opponents.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012

Which in no way disproves Carver's point that Pitt isn't good, and especially not good without their stud RB that did not play against Iowa either...man Dan, back away from keyboard. Maybe sit the next one out and let someone that can make a better argument rep your fanbase for awhile.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012

Why aren't they ranked now?

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
They are getting in their complaints now because their resume will look nothing like the top teams in a few weeks. My favorite line of thinking is when they think they should get credit for wins against teams that "were ranked at the time." Not really how it works, but it's something to grasp on to and rile the tavern faction.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
They are getting in their complaints now because their resume will look nothing like the top teams in a few weeks. My favorite line of thinking is when they think they should get credit for wins against teams that "were ranked at the time." Not really how it works, but it's something to grasp on to and rile the tavern faction.

Really shortsighted to use SOS numbers, I'm sure they'll be putting that much importance on it at the end of the year...

clairvoyantdan

Aug 10, 2015

That's actually exactly how it works. Not to mention both of those teams will be ranked again. They've only lost to ranked teams, only two other schools are ranked with two losses (both to ranked teams). As the season progresses they will be ranked again.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
That's actually exactly how it works. Not to mention both of those teams will be ranked again. They've only lost to ranked teams, only two other schools are ranked with two losses (both to ranked teams). As the season progresses they will be ranked again.

No. It doesn't.

Dude I follow the recruiting thread. I know you struggle with polls.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012

Auburn, USC, Oregon and Georgia were all pre-season Top 10. Only Georgia is still in the coaches top 25 as the 25th team. Do you think wins against those guys early in the season still mean the same at the end of the season?

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
On a side note, Dan slobbering all over a Miller article is the least surprising thing I've seen on this site. He's Miller's target audience. The ones who will eat up a narrative of national disrespect when they're ranked 12th.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009

If they're not ranked right now it doesn't count. If they sneak back in the poll at the end of the season it will count. Hawkeye fans wrote the rules on this when we've beat ranked teams in the past.

clairvoyantdan

Aug 10, 2015
No. It doesn't.

Dude I follow the recruiting thread. I know you struggle with polls.

Soooo when they say W's against ranked opponents it can go down? NO. I've never seen that graphic or statistic being used. W's against ranked opponents are exactly that, ranked opponents. That number can go up if you beat more ranked teams, it cannot go down. Iowa didn't beat a ranked team in Pitt, they beat an unranked Pitt team which is currently ranked. Iowa is 2-0 against ranked teams.