Dave Ramsey-Financial Peace University

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I was about to ask how the hell the OP has $40K in savings at age 30, and then I read that he doesn't have kids which explained everything.

just behind OP's age but yeah, waiting to have kids and living in our not awesome apartment for a couple years longer than originally planned were financially solid choices.
Oh, and having manageable student debt. Very grateful for the amount of scholarships and grants I got in college. That really snowballed into everything else.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I guess the idea is you won't spend as freely with a credit card, even if you pay it off every month. I'm in the same boat as you - I put everything on my CC that I can, and haven't paid any interest on one in 15 years. I'm guessing I would spend less if I didn't have them, or didn't use them as often...but I can't overcome my laziness.

Seems like it should be common sense not to spend more than you make, but I guess not everyone can handle that responsibility? Plus a credit card is a nice crutch to have if you have an emergency expense come up and don't have liquid assets to pay for it at the time.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Wow thanks to all for the responses! Definitely not trying to brag about my situation. I don't really know how we compare to others our age, but we've been fortunate to not experience too much financial stress so far.

I've always been very conservative with my money, so it seems Dave's early steps are easy for me to follow. I lack knowledge in the stock market/investment areas though. I definitely want to put money towards that but I just don't even know where to start and do it wisely.

I feel like we should take a chunk of savings and divy it out for further growth, but again not sure what. We currently have that $ with a major bank, so I think very minimal interest.

Should I reduce my 401k contribution a bit since I'm already above the company match? Probably not saving a much by reducing, but that $ could go somewhere else.

Any recommended financial advisors in DSM area? How do I really know who to trust and work with? Any basic, easy to understand websites I can just follow? Thanks!

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
And live like a hermit for years to get there... No thanks. You can be financially set and still have a mortgage. It’s all about ones own finances and what they are comfortable with.

I agree. Figure out what works for you. Dave would absolutely rip me to pieces if I went on his show and said that we still have student loans and I am getting back into flying. That being said I stopped flying when we absolutely couldn't afford it and now I am going to do it because I very much enjoy it and my wife is tired of me not doing much. I won't do it so much that we get in trouble but enough to be happy.

I don't understand the not having credit cards theory. I have heard that from multiple people, but if you can pay off your credit cards in full every month, and don't spend like an idiot, why not reap the rewards that many credit cards offer (i.e. cash back, rewards points)? I used to put everything on my debit card, but once I realized my wife and I had our spending under control I started using the credit card for almost all transactions I could.

Dave's reasoning is that most people if they have done it before are likely to run it back up if they keep them around (kind of like an alcoholic or other drug abuser keeping it around) as well as the benefits are usually so small it isn't worth it to him. Can they accumulate and essentially be free money. Yes but combine that with point number one above and it is not good blanket advice which he has to give due to his platform. Hell I have a good friend that is nearly 30 years old and has never had a credit card because he is afraid he isn't responsible enough for it. There should probably be more people like him.

• Agree
Reactions: AgronAlum

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I agree. Figure out what works for you. Dave would absolutely rip me to pieces if I went on his show and said that we still have student loans and I am getting back into flying. That being said I stopped flying when we absolutely couldn't afford it and now I am going to do it because I very much enjoy it and my wife is tired of me not doing much. I won't do it so much that we get in trouble but enough to be happy.

Completely agree.

I work my ass off, a lot of hours a week, for a decent chunk of the year. I’m going to enjoy some of the rewards right now. It helps keep me sane with my schedule sometimes. I am comfortable in the situation I’m in even though we still have a car payment, student loans and a mortgage. Live life, just don’t do everything to keep up with the Jones’. That’s how you get into trouble. Everyone needs a hobby.

Last edited:
Reactions: wxman1

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Wow thanks to all for the responses! Definitely not trying to brag about my situation. I don't really know how we compare to others our age, but we've been fortunate to not experience too much financial stress so far.

I've always been very conservative with my money, so it seems Dave's early steps are easy for me to follow. I lack knowledge in the stock market/investment areas though. I definitely want to put money towards that but I just don't even know where to start and do it wisely.

I feel like we should take a chunk of savings and divy it out for further growth, but again not sure what. We currently have that $ with a major bank, so I think very minimal interest.

Should I reduce my 401k contribution a bit since I'm already above the company match? Probably not saving a much by reducing, but that $ could go somewhere else.

Any recommended financial advisors in DSM area? How do I really know who to trust and work with? Any basic, easy to understand websites I can just follow? Thanks!

I'm not sure why you would want to reduce your 401k, I'm assuming that your company has given you some choices and it's being invested in some type of low fee mutual funds? Maybe if it is being all invested in company only stock you could look at cutting that back after you figure out where you would rather be investing. Congrats on being off to such a great start.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I would leave 401k alone, adjust it if you have kids. Make sure you have some fun also. Take that cash and find some basic mutual funds, I would go with growth funds since it seems you don't need the cash, and start with those. Easy way to gain some stock knowledge without high risk.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Surprised I missed this thread. I love talking about PF and sharing our story.

Lots of good info in here. Sometimes people on CF forget there is more than one right answer. For example, we have a 0% car loan and that "extra" money earned about 15% in the market in 2017. Paying it off early would have lost us about $2,400.

Once we had kids our budget was destroyed but saving and investing before kids is what gave us a decent foundation to even have the kids. One tip not mentioned is really think hard if you can stay in your current house if you have kids. We moved and it set our payoff plan back about 7 years. AND we're only in a $150,000 house. Don't be seduced by the new houses that cost $300,000. A 529 plan and Roth contributions are much more valuable.

serverguy

Apr 11, 2006
Allot depends on your goals and if you really want financial peace. I am glad we went through FPU program shortly after getting married. We have followed the steps and are now working on baby step 7 which is building wealth and being able to give. Even though we had to sacrifice allot along the way I would not change a thing. Our ability to do what we want and when we want within reason gives allot of freedom we would not have had.

I will not go into detail on the advice that does not follow FPU in the thread. It is not really a productive use of time based on other threads around this topic. There are so many variables that can be discussed it is really hard to do in a forum. If you want to hear our story feel free to drop me a PM and I would be happy to chat with you on the phone or meet up if you are in the Des Moines metro area. I have been an FPU coordinator for fifteen years. So I can answer almost any Dave question out there.

Good luck with the class and continued success. You are doing great.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Haven't been through his class since I'm not 100% agreement with him, but have heard a load of his radio shows to know the general process. If you pay off your credit cards and get more aggressive on your house, you will have his plan are are wasting your time in his class. Many times on his radio show he talkes about investing in mutual funds earning 12-13% over the last several years. I have been investing in them since early 90s, haven't had one over that period earn that on average and I invest in the aggressive things that he recommends.

I mean my Schwab S&P 500 Index fund has annualized returns over the past 1/3/5 years of: 21.8, 11.3, and 15.7 percent. Now in no way am I claiming that as sustainable,hence the 10 year and inception % being lower, but it can happen for brief periods

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Back in the old days, my dad would always say this about financial decisions:
"If you want it, you probably don't need it and if you need it, you probably don't want it."
I guess dad was about 50 years ahead of Ramsey.

Reactions: Macloney

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

I'd take out a chunk of that savings (while leaving however much you and your wife feel you need to cover emergencies/big expenses, etc.) and invest it in a medium-risk portfolio. Otherwise that money's not going to be doing much good sitting in your savings getting at best 1% interest.

I'm a DIY index fund investor, but if you're not comfortable with or don't have the time to read up for investing on your own, a financial advisor might make sense. I think Dave has recommended professionals through his website? Just understand that there's a good chance the funds you'll get through an advisor will have commissions and higher fees, but it's your decision if you think that tradeoff is worth it.

• Agree
Reactions: DeftOne

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I mean my Schwab S&P 500 Index fund has annualized returns over the past 1/3/5 years of: 21.8, 11.3, and 15.7 percent. Now in no way am I claiming that as sustainable,hence the 10 year and inception % being lower, but it can happen for brief periods

That's my point. He wants to talk long term, but you won't find many pushing 13 % for 20-30 years. I go by my investments (which are around 15-25 years for most) and I don't have anything near that. He tells people to not invest in mutual funds for short terms also.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

Read “Jack Bogles Little Book Of Common Sense Investing”

And spend some time on www.bogleheads.org.

Those will give you a good basic understanding of how investing works and some ideas of where to put your money.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
That's my point. He wants to talk long term, but you won't find many pushing 13 % for 20-30 years. I go by my investments (which are around 15-25 years for most) and I don't have anything near that. He tells people to not invest in mutual funds for short terms also.

Ramsey’s investing advice is strange to me. I used to drink his kool aid but this is where he lost me. It’s irresponsible to tell people to PLAN on 12% growth for their funds. Yes, it happens over short periods, but if you make your retirement plans based on 12%, you will fall very short of your goals. He also tells people to plan on an 8% withdrawal in retirement which only makes sense if you are getting 12%.

I had one of his ELPs explain it to me and he told me this: Ramsey isn’t lying about his mutual fund getting 12%, but the only way you would have that return is if you had invested in the fund at its inception in the early 1900s.

Financial advisers have their place and are a great idea for many people. However, his investing advice really seems geared toward making money for his business and pushing people to his ELPs more than actually helping people.

That said, his debt reduction advice is a great idea for most people and his system is designed to keep financially illiterate people out of trouble which is a good thing. Like anything else, he is not infallible and some parts of his system can be tweaked/ignored depending on individual scenarios. Each person has to make financial decisions based on their personal circumstances. There’s no one-size-fits-all solution. I encourage anyone to learn what they can or hire an adviser if they need a professional.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
LOL... *sigh*. Yes. More specifically for me divorce. This will seriously **** up your plans. The best advice I can give is no matter how much you are convinced you will spend the rest of your life together plan like you might not.
Getting divorced taught me to be frugal AF. Worst part is that the child support didn't go towards my kids at all. Up her nose and stuff like that.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Definitely pay any balance on your CCs off. Think of it as making 12-18% on your money. I hired a financial planner when my company started a 401k program. Best thing I ever did. One question I ALWAYS ask when he suggests something is "what's in it for you?" And I always get a straight answer -- I like that. We've been working with him for about 25 years now, and have gone from $40k net worth to over $1m, and a lot of it was based on his advice and fund recommendations.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ramsey’s investing advice is strange to me. I used to drink his kool aid but this is where he lost me. It’s irresponsible to tell people to PLAN on 12% growth for their funds. Yes, it happens over short periods, but if you make your retirement plans based on 12%, you will fall very short of your goals. He also tells people to plan on an 8% withdrawal in retirement which only makes sense if you are getting 12%.

I had one of his ELPs explain it to me and he told me this: Ramsey isn’t lying about his mutual fund getting 12%, but the only way you would have that return is if you had invested in the fund at its inception in the early 1900s.

Financial advisers have their place and are a great idea for many people. However, his investing advice really seems geared toward making money for his business and pushing people to his ELPs more than actually helping people.

That said, his debt reduction advice is a great idea for most people and his system is designed to keep financially illiterate people out of trouble which is a good thing. Like anything else, he is not infallible and some parts of his system can be tweaked/ignored depending on individual scenarios. Each person has to make financial decisions based on their personal circumstances. There’s no one-size-fits-all solution. I encourage anyone to learn what they can or hire an adviser if they need a professional.

Totally agree. My thoughts would be, use Ramsey to get out of debt and stay out, but then use others to grow your wealth. He pushes the 12%, sometimes I've heard up to 14%, for returns. He then asks people if they would borrow money on their house to invest. If I could get his 12-14% over 10 years, you are darn straight that I would borrow at 3-4% and make a 10% return. I don't because I realize that it's not that much of a spread.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Getting divorced taught me to be frugal AF. Worst part is that the child support didn't go towards my kids at all. Up her nose and stuff like that.

As a former loan officer, I never had someone come in and describe their divorce and positive. Nearly everyone was nasty divorce. I was always waiting for someone to say, I really made out well by marrying them. I specialized in farm loans, and thinking about it, I never had the non farming spouse need a loan. So maybe they were good.