Dark Star Arcade

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Had to be in the mid 80's.

Yes I was still in grade school when it did and I graduated in 93. I don't know the exact year. IIRC it closed do to some problems with fights and drinking. It reopened after awhile but closed soon after because someone got shot. Arcades like Dark Star and the Fun Factory in Merle Hay have gone the way of the dodo due to xbox, wii and playstation.

The younger generation would be shocked to hear that people used to go to seedy arcades with a pocket full of quarters just to get their game fix. I remember there would be a line out the door just to play Dragon's Lair which had crappy graphics by today's standards.

Last edited:

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I remember when Ames had like 3 arcades (Zap, Aladdin's Castle and Cyberstation) 4 if you count the Memorial Union. Then it slowly dwindled to just Cyberstation. I miss the days of the arcade. I can't guess how much money I threw into X-men vs Street Fighter.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Spent a lot of time and quarters there - Loved that place. Ah....the early '80s. Was there anything that wasn't great and wonderful back then?!?!?

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Tossing quarter after quarter playing PacMan when it first came out....man I`m getting old.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Wasn't there a "Space Port" on Welch at one time? Say 1980?

I loved that building. First it was space port, then a marble slab creamery, and later on it was the original pancheros, not that new poncheros crap.

mjenison

Dec 26, 2009
Resurrecting an old thread...

I'm looking for any information and photos regarding this arcade. If you can recall certain arcade games, the layout, or share any fond memories of this arcade that was in Campustown during the mid 80's, that would be helpful. Thanks!

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Was there anything better than early/mid 90's Capcom/NEO-GEO beat 'em up and fighting arcade games!? I think not.

Transient

Apr 17, 2008
Resurrecting an old thread...

I'm looking for any information and photos regarding this arcade. If you can recall certain arcade games, the layout, or share any fond memories of this arcade that was in Campustown during the mid 80's, that would be helpful. Thanks!

Wasnt it behind the Welch ave. Post Office? I think the building is gone now, you entered from North Side of the building, and it was full of black lights, so our Letter jacket sleeves would light up bright(white), and most of these games were there at one time or another. Classic Arcade Games

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Dark Star was a pretty cool place. In the early '80's, I remember my friends from UNI coming down and we would go there almost like it was a tourist destination. Sometimes, we would only play just a few games, but were really there for the experience. If I remember correctly, every half hour or so, the lights would flash/dim, the sound would get loud, and it would simulate the Dark Star Ship "taking off"? Does anyone else remember this, or was it just the beer?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron