CYCLONES.tv Problems Thread

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
My final report. There were about five times during the game where the picture "softened" for 2-3 minutes, but then went back to clear HD. It never stopped, stuttered or became out of sync with audio. I will say I've had MUCH better luck with Roku than I used to by hooking laptop up to TV in previous years. Final grade for CTV last night: A-

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I finally signed up for CyTV, will see how it goes. I always felt that it would not be good as we live out in the boonies and our wifi suffers. But maybe I can watch replays, etc. We will see how it goes 'live'. I understand the football and men's BB 'live' games will be limited due to tier 3 contracts. I'm looking at better ways to stream live radio (I think I can do I-heart-radio), etc. So us 'hippies' out in the rural are making strides, maybe? I can't wait for the next 100 yrs, won't be around to see it though, oh well, just click on and watch.
My only minor complaint was having to watch the stupid 30 second commercial at the beginning of the stream every time I connected. It's paid content. **** your sports cup whatever commercial. I missed a TD because of it.
I think this will be a source of malcontent for me too, damm!

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Cyclones.tv cannot rebroadcast any game until Tuesday evening, I believe.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
no issues from Fort Collins, Colorado, which I was nervouse since we had family from Iowa in town and the last 2 openers have been **** shows.

I was hoping for a bit more pregame prior to the game, but thought Blum and Sage did a great job.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Cyclones.tv cannot rebroadcast any game until Tuesday evening, I believe.
Just purchased Cytv and I was watching the full-game ISU-UNI replay just now. I did read that if the games are not on Cytv live, then yes, they do have to wait 72 hrs to air the re-play (3rd tier rights vs the game being broadcast on any venue such as CBS, ESPN, etc., which makes sense. Those channels have the monetary rights to the live feed, then a wait period to re-play). I don't know if this game yesterday was televised anywhere; if not, they can do the re-play right away, I guess.

Being out in the country, and some data restrictions, what I will prob. do, is take my laptop in to town, download the re-play at work or library (where the wifi is hi-speed, not my slow speed, always buffering wifi at home), and just watch it a day, or 3 days later, as the case may be. Not ideal but better than nothing!

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I have to say this the best first game cyclones.tv has done. Only took about 10 years including Neulion. Good job by everyone at Cyclones.tv

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Things went well for me on the ROKU just a few minor glitches with sound pic sync but not anything like past years.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
Best it's ever gone for me. Hooked up the laptop via HDMI and ethernet. There were a couple times where the picture would freeze, but the audio would continue as normal. After a few seconds the picture would catch back up to where the audio was. After the past couple of years though, that didn't bother me whatsoever. Love listening to Blum and Sage.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My final report. There were about five times during the game where the picture "softened" for 2-3 minutes, but then went back to clear HD. It never stopped, stuttered or became out of sync with audio. I will say I've had MUCH better luck with Roku than I used to by hooking laptop up to TV in previous years. Final grade for CTV last night: A-

Roku all the way. What you describe happens to me just as often with Amazon, HBO and Netflix because my cable company under delivers what they promise (rant on how they are a monopoly). It's one of the reasons I'll never "buy" purchase an online movie rather than a bluray as long as physical media is available.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think that's only for games when they don't own the original content. The UNI replay is already up.

Yeah it seems like the next day is the norm for games broadcast on cyclones.tv while about 3 days later can have other network games...a little too long to serve as a DVR device.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Thanks much! Glad to hear the stream worked well, the folks at Cyclones.tv worked their tails off all summer, so very happy for them.
I'll echo the same comments as others. You and Sage do a great job!
I also had a great experience streaming this year.
I'll also add that I'm very impressed with the production quality. Multiple camera angles, replays, decent onscreen graphics. Amazing how far this has come in the past 2-3 years. Also shows why this can (and will) be the future of TV.

Just because I'm into tech stuff, can you give any insight as to the work the Cy.TV team did this summer?
Is it adding/upgrading servers, upgrading software with Sidearm/Learfield or upgrading equipment to the booth? All of the above?

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I'll echo the same comments as others. You and Sage do a great job!
I also had a great experience streaming this year.
I'll also add that I'm very impressed with the production quality. Multiple camera angles, replays, decent onscreen graphics. Amazing how far this has come in the past 2-3 years. Also shows why this can (and will) be the future of TV.

Just because I'm into tech stuff, can you give any insight as to the work the Cy.TV team did this summer?
Is it adding/upgrading servers, upgrading software with Sidearm/Learfield or upgrading equipment to the booth? All of the above?

I don't know all of the specifics, but I know the Cyclones.tv staff and the athletic department administration really leaned on/strong arm'd Sidearm to make sure the technology worked and they were equipped to handle the server load.

On a production side, it was the same company/TV truck that has produced the last couple years' UNI game and was essentially the same equipment, but practice makes perfect and the more games we all do together, the more seamless it gets. Just for comparison, a network TV crew has about 75-80 staff members working a game, we had about 12 on Saturday, so a small but hard-working crew. Thanks for watching!

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I was at the inlaws over the weekend who don't have Internet (and out in the country), so I streamed via my phone on Verizon 4G. No problems at all for the most part. By far, the best experience of the past few years.

On the production side, the down/distance box was often empty at the start of a play.

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
Careful about clearing cookies. When I was logging into my e-mail account, I was taken directly to my inbox. I realized in some vague abstract way that gmail was recognizing my computer.

For some reason, I got a hair up my ass and decided to clear my cookies for security reasons.
That prevented gmail from recognizing my computer. Had to dig up my password which worked, but gmail also replied that it didn't recognize my computer and I got a reply stating that I would need to go through the callback procedure using the cell number that I set up the account with. Unfortunately, I'm out of the country and didn't bring my cell because it won't work here.

FWIW, this is the second time I've been unable to open a mobile account because the country requires the account holder to be a citizen or permanent resident.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
I was at the inlaws over the weekend who don't have Internet (and out in the country), so I streamed via my phone on Verizon 4G. No problems at all for the most part. By far, the best experience of the past few years.

On the production side, the down/distance box was often empty at the start of a play.

I'll echo what has been said here. I was very pleasantly surprised with how well the stream worked on Saturday night. Absolutely zero issues with the stream, it toggled down the resolution a few times during the game but didn't freeze up at all and could barely tell other than a slight repeat in the audio. This is how it should work every time. Very happy with the product.