Cyclones MBB in 2024 Maui Invite

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

hawksuck75

Mar 25, 2006
Chicago, IL

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
lost-we-have-to-go-back.gif

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
We've got some salty history with the teams listed. LOVE this field.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Great to see Jamie/TJ continue to get us in these prestige tournaments.

Fans also deserve praise. We impressed back in Nov 18. I was there with my family it was impressive the Cyclone fans in attendance.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
Are tickets for this hard to get? Any information from people who went last time would be great.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Kinda wild how we find ourselves with similar teams more often than not. 3 teams from our PKI bracket and then Memphis who we just played last year as welk

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Are tickets for this hard to get? Any information from people who went last time would be great.
Yes. Get them through ISU. Frankly the easiest way to go is with the travel company ISU uses. I THINK they offered flight options last time via DSM but we had our own flights via MSP. The travel company took care of our hotel (the team hotel) and bus transport to the gym which was nice because parking was a disaster. I believe they also took care of the little tournament gatherings as well for your "free" Maui Jim sunglasses, happy hours by team, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: cychhosis and NWICY

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Is there a tournament next year that we accepted an invitation to?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Never been to Hawaii, but we are planning on attending this, so I can anyone give me a few tips.
When do tickets go on sale, and how much are they?
Where is the best place to stay in Maui, close to the arena?
Do you need a car to get around, any beaches close?
Looks like most of the games take place in the morning, how early did people get to the games?

Any other general info. would be nice.

Go Cyclones

AllN4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2010
Never been to Hawaii, but we are planning on attending this, so I can anyone give me a few tips.
Looks like most of the games take place in the morning, how early did people get to the games?

Go Cyclones
We went in 2018 and plan on going in 2024, yes you will need a car. There are no hotels next to the arena. Plenty of hotels and VRBOs along Kaanapali beach. We bought the Iowa State package directly with the tournament in the summer of 2018 which meant we could only attend those 3 games for about $600ish total. We got lucky and got 4 tickets but the allotment sold out in minutes there were more ISU fans in Maui that didn’t have tickets than did.

In 2018 we played the 3rd game of the day around 4pm and then the next two were in the morning. They line you up outside and clear the gym when the game prior to your game is over they will let you in. You have your own assigned seat so not a problem to get there super early.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois

Go Cyclones
I can't give any specifics to the tournament, but my wife and I went to Maui on our honeymoon.

Flights are long, and the timezone definitely takes a few days to get used to.

Even if hotels aren't close, the entire island is pretty easy to get around (minus the road to Hana). Rental cars were a must when we went.

We stayed in Ka'anapali, I believe it was the Hyatt on the beach. Did the sunrise on Haleakala (recommend that the first morning you're there because of time change). If you do that definitely bring something warm to wear.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think we're going but I struggle with the ticket availability. Are they public sale or school based?

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
when my wife and i went in 2018 we got tickets from a scalper and paid $250/seat to see ISU vs Illinois.

talking to people in Maui that week it sounded like 2018 was a very well attended tournament given the rabid fanbases in the field. Duke, Gonzaga, Arizona, Illinois, SDSU, ISU, Xavier, Auburn were all in participating and save for Auburn, all those programs have fanbases that LOVE their bball program.

2024 the teams attending are Colorado, UCONN, Dayton, ISU, Memphis, Michigan St, UNC and TBD SEC team. UNC, MSU, UCONN and ISU will show out very well. Dayton and Memphis probably. Colorado probably the "weakest" fanbase

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I think we're going but I struggle with the ticket availability. Are they public sale or school based?

Tickets were such a struggle last time. Basically spent our mornings looking for them. It was such a cool experience though and my top sports trip I've taken.