Cyclones lose David Grant

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Dgrant, I don't quite agree with your assessment that ISU focuses more on basketball. While we do love our ISU basketball, Iowa State did just set their all time season ticket sales in football for a 3-9 campaign that followed a 4-8 season. And you won't see fans in Ames booing their players as they jog off the field, which happened in Lincoln.

I do hope that your brother comes here. Football games are won in the trenches, and it sounds like he could be an asset. I was looking forward to him being a part of where a lot of us think we'll be in a couple years, but in the end it is his choice. Hopefully it works out.

Last edited:

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
My point is is that those star ratings you speak of, with no disrepect to the athletes they pertain to, are just that. Stars. I believe David will be just as athletically competant as those 4 and 5 stars but with two main differences. He will not have an ego which many of them already do, and he will have a complete willingness to learn, a blank slate if you will. Sometimes balnk slates are the easiest people to teach because they don't have bad habits to break. Just my .02 on the star rating.

One other main difference you forgot - most of those 4-5 star players have been playing since pop warner and have competed in various camps and programs that enhanced their ability and improved quality of play. But i agree, if you have an athlete, you can teach them the game - you cannot go the other direction.

Your other points, 100% agree and players like your brother filter through the ranking system every year and then pop up at some small college(not calling NU a small school) and everyone says wow - how did Texas or Florida or USC let him go.....i agree rating system is flawed big time...

And i agree about the blank slate - your perspective on that is right on..... actually you speak in a manner that i think your brother if similar is a much better fit at ISU then Nebraska and not hatin on them. Not sure what Pellini will do over there, they have a lot of quality players, not sure what Callahans problems were but i enjoyed watching Nebraska fans back peddle... I do know that our current coaching staff has taken some decent players especially on our offensive line and molded into a very good unit and it will be even better next year. Given your brothers class, he would have a much better chance of becoming the player you think he will be at a college where he gets to play early - need that trial by fire to establish what kind of player he wants to be....

But, i will leave you with this.... I spoke about your brother's commitment when i saw the article that had him committed to ISU and about him and his physical nature, i thought we had solidified our tackles for the next four years. For your sake and his, i only hope his decision comes full circle and he in fact becomes our bookend tackle to Big Trey.....

K

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Maybe we should pool some money, donate it to the NU athletic program (not too much), then send another check to David Grant for playing for NU.

Of course, we leave a very good paper trail and make sure the NCAA is notified, anonymously, of course!

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
DGRANT 73. Sounds like you know your football. Coming from the same gene pool, have you got any college eligibility? Wish your brother well in whatever he chooses.:cool:

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Nebraska was one of the first schools to formally offer him, under the old regime of callahan. Since the hiring of Pelini, they have been more aggressive in his recruitment. He has spoken with Shawn Watson and offensive line coach Barney Cotton(ya'lls favorite:wink:), in addition to the head coach Pelini. He seems to like what they are saying.

Although it's always disappointing to hear of a potential impact player that chooses a rival over ISU, I wish your brother nothing but the best of luck during his 4 years in Lincoln. :yes:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This was big news in the Omaha World Herald since they lost Dan Hoch at the same time:

Omaha.com Sports Section

Recruiting: Harlan's Hoch decommits, Texas lineman takes his spot
BY MITCH SHERMAN
WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Another day, another unusual turn in Nebraska football recruiting.

Harlan's Dan Hoch, right, puts pressure on Sioux City Heelan's Zach McCabe. Hoch has reneged on his oral commitment to Nebraska.

The Huskers lost a longstanding oral commitment from offensive lineman Dan Hoch, who switched his pledge to Missouri more than a year after accepting an NU scholarship offer.

Last edited by a moderator:

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
DGRANT73

You should check out the Quick Question thread in the Football Forum. It provides a little more background information on the offensive line under Barney Cotton.