Cyclones jump to No. 9 in latest CFP rankings

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Nov 21, 2020; Ames, Iowa, USA; Iowa State Cyclones head coach Matt Campbell gives a thumbs up as he leaves the field after a game against the Kansas State Wildcats at Jack Trice Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brian Powers-USA TODAY Sports

Iowa State has entered the top-10.

The Cyclones came in at No. 9 in this week’s College Football Playoff rankings released on Tuesday, jumping four spots from last week’s debut poll. This comes on the heels of Iowa State’s thrilling 23-20 come-from-behind win over Texas last Friday.

Matt Campbell’s program has spent 12 weeks in the CFP rankings since the 2017 season and now holds its highest ranking in program history, surpassing its spot at No. 13 last week. This ties the Cyclones’ highest spot in any ranking ever matching the 2002 team’s place in the AP Poll in early October that season.

The most recent rankings also set up what could end up being a top-10 showdown between Iowa State and Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game as the...

Continue reading...

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
TV wants some Spencer Rattler. Herbie wants the status quo. and crying drama.
I just don't want Bama. Or Clemson. or Notre Dame. or Ohio State. I'd settle for a nice mid=level bowl out of the ice-zone with a victory over Michigan or Auburn.

Reactions: tyler24

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Another milestone. AP has us at 12. CBS top 25 has us at 13. How many polls are there?

The Grid Iron expert put Iowa State at #9 in his rankings. I don't think he has any pull anywhere, just a guy with a youtube channel who loves college football.

He also projected iowa state to reach the championship game in his preseason predictions.

Alswelk

Slightly Radioactive
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2006
Albuquerque, NM
They scare me......not in a suburban-pudgy-guy-watching-espn way.....like they actually scare me. That Ryan Day and his freaky serial killer eye brows. I think Boza has a tramp stamp tatoo. That big nut guy.....he looks like he smells bad. Imagine being in an elevator with that guy.

Ryan day has lifeless eyes, like a doll's eyes.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
So the Selection commitee for CFP poll is 13 people, 3 year term, Gary Barta being the Chair this year. How subjective (maybe not best word) is this commitee allowed to be vs. computer algorithms, other polls, etc.?

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Ryan day has lifeless eyes, like a doll's eyes.

It was always weird how quickly he ascended and without the traditional coaching pathway and pedigree. I mean, he was handed one of the top four intense head coaching jobs in all of college football without even an interview....just an acknowledgement from Urban and the other Podesta-orgy guys that he was really smart and really good at coaching in the margins (cheating?). Is there some sort of Eyes Wide Shut Epstein thing going on in Columbus? Child's Play 8....Ryan Day zombie eyes.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
If you step back and think about this, its crazy. I'm a 20 year ISU fan (started at ISU in 2000) and we've had some good moments: Mac getting to #9 in the polls (paper tiger), a cool upset here and there (OSU namely), and Campbell has had us ranked in the Top 25 and CFP polls in previous years.

But this year, it actually feels like WE BELONG. We have dominated bad teams (except Baylor), beaten good teams, and knocked off the top team in the conference (besides us). We are alone at the top of the conference with a chance to win it outright this weekend. Knock off OU again and we will legit be in the discussion as a Top 6 team in the country. Wild. Thank you Matt Campbell!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The Grid Iron expert put Iowa State at #9 in his rankings. I don't think he has any pull anywhere, just a guy with a youtube channel who loves college football.

He also projected iowa state to reach the championship game in his preseason predictions.

I like the Gridiron expert guy. He's young, informed, passionate. I remember when he came to Ames for one of his youTube vids a year or two ago, used Jack Trice Stadium for his backdrop.

In time he may be the next Mel Kiper Jr. or Todd McShay !

CnG

Jul 18, 2019
So the Selection commitee for CFP poll is 13 people, 3 year term, Gary Barta being the Chair this year. How subjective (maybe not best word) is this commitee allowed to be vs. computer algorithms, other polls, etc.?
DO you suppose Barta had anything to do with ranking Iowa #19, when their 4 wins this season are against teams with a combined record of 6-15. So much for strength of schedule

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
DO you suppose Barta had anything to do with ranking Iowa #19, when their 4 wins this season are against teams with a combined record of 6-15. So much for strength of schedule
But they just took down a blue blood!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Yaz and Acylum

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
If we spank WV I'll be a lot more confident with whoever we play in title game and bowl. I was confident about Texas, not so much WV. This game is a season maker for them. Us not so much. I'm super anxious to see how we respond.

Reactions: nrg4isu

IndyClone15

Jan 28, 2019
Metropolis
My issue with the whole thing is that Iowa should have never been ranked the first week. Unfortunately, once they were in the 1st CFP poll, there is no way you can try and "fix your mistake" by taking them out this week. They did win, after all. It's sad that all they had to do to move up 5 spots was carry their weight against a piss-poor Nebraska team.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

They know that when the four contenders are picked, everyone else is there in the top 25 to justify those four choices.

Reactions: agentbear

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
If we spank WV I'll be a lot more confident with whoever we play in title game and bowl. I was confident about Texas, not so much WV. This game is a season maker for them. Us not so much. I'm super anxious to see how we respond.

For once I actually think we hammer a team we need to to prove how good we are. Hammer means win by 14 or more.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and MeanDean

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron