Cyclones Following Similar Ascention Path as Clemson?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If we're aiming for CFP, we can have no bad losses.

Agree, but I guess I'm still wanting to put the conference championship in the bag and then clean up the bad losses. Win the conference a few years and even 1 loss teams can slip into the CFP.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Clemson is right in the middle of some of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the entire country. Its right next to four states, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.

To think this could ever happen at ISU if funny.

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
EnviousGiddyChinesecrocodilelizard-small.gif

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Listened to the CFP championship on ESPN Radio. During the post-game, the announcers mentioned how Swinney built the Tigers into a national championship team. Particularly I noted that Clemson the announcers mentioned Clemson had a number of really good D-linemen, and skill position players prior, but it wasn't until Swinney built his o-line to championship level that the Tigers started winning championships.

That comment really sounded familiar, because that's the albatross for the Cyclone FB program right now. Could ISU be the next Clemson?

I’ll have what he’s having bartender

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Clemson is right in the middle of some of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the entire country. Its right next to four states, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.

To think this could ever happen at ISU if funny.

It wasn't too long ago that people were posting things like this about whether we could recruit any great defensive linemen at all. We've seen that change.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Listened to the CFP championship on ESPN Radio. During the post-game, the announcers mentioned how Swinney built the Tigers into a national championship team. Particularly I noted that Clemson the announcers mentioned Clemson had a number of really good D-linemen, and skill position players prior, but it wasn't until Swinney built his o-line to championship level that the Tigers started winning championships.

That comment really sounded familiar, because that's the albatross for the Cyclone FB program right now. Could ISU be the next Clemson?
Clemson has had a very good team in the past few years. Clemson has ridden the economic/population wave that has taken place in the Atlanta/Greenville during the 30+ years that I have live here. When I moved here, I remember thinking that South Carolina had a population equal to that of Iowa. Not so now.

With a student population of 2/3 of ISU and a stadium of 1 1/2 times that of Jack Trice, they have capitalized on the Southeast football craze. Money flows in. A big reason for Clemson success is that they play their scheduled games in the ACC, nicely removed from the SEC competitive field.

Having said all of that, fans and players love everything that Swinney stands for. Google his life story if you want to know more about more.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
We could be a mini Clemson, but in the current CFB climate the only schools who have a realistic shot at winning national titles are ones that have blue blood status, or located in a state that either has a boat load of in-state talent, or adjacent to a state that does.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
A lot of people are making fun of this, but does anybody actually think Campbell is sitting in his office thinking, "If only we can make the conference championship game." or "If only we can beat Iowa."

His goals are a little higher, and by the fact that he seems pretty intent on staying here means he believes he can achieve it here.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
A lot of people are making fun of this, but does anybody actually think Campbell is sitting in his office thinking, "If only we can make the conference championship game." or "If only we can beat Iowa."

His goals are a little higher, and by the fact that he seems pretty intent on staying here means he believes he can achieve it here.
Yeah and every coach in division 1 is thinking the same thing

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
If Iowa State keeps getting that many fans to bowl games they are gonna have the pick of the litter in recruiting. Nattys will be following soon after.