Cyclones Drafted in 2021

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Trying to figure out what is “for sure” in the NFL is like men trying to understand women.
When I start thinking I know how NFL teams think, I remember that Todd Doxzon played in the NFL and he was not someone I ever envisioned playing in the NFL. And I was a big Doxzon fan.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm very bad at projecting ISU guys to the NFL. I thought we'd be watching guys like Kamari Cotton Moya, Ray Lima and Brian Peavy running around out there on Sundays, but I was way off on that. I think the 3 guys in speculation will all make a roster, but I'm highly doubting any of them get their name called on draft day.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
Bailey might get drafted otherwise nobody.
Think the opposite. I think Bailey is trending down after a tough pro day.

Kene and Soehner meanwhile have some late round intrigue. Soehner is considered one of the best blocking TE’s in the draft. Could be seen as a Lee Smith type (5th rounder in 2011)

Kene meanwhile has been getting buzz ever since his pro day with that blazing 40. Might have a shot in the late frames.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
if Breece has another year like last, he’ll be a mid to late first rounder.
I think your reactions to this are from years of conditioning from fans watching our players not get drafted.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
Mostly, because NFL teams get weird about picking RB’s nowadays.
I read somewhere he’d be projected RB 3 in this draft behind Harris and Etienne. (But a far ahead number 3 from RB4)

Both RB’s are projected late 1st, early 2nd I think.

I think most realistically Breece would be a solid 2nd rounder.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
Not that long ago I didn’t think Kene would sniff the NFL, but with that 40 time, I could see someone take a late round flyer on him.

I think the big knock on Breece that could prevent him from being an early pick is he’s probably going to have a TON of carries by the end of his junior year, and the NFL has this weird thing with running back value decreasing as carries increase.
It’s why I hope J Brock flourishes this year and give him more rest.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
Breece Halls carries don’t count as wear and tear because nobody touches him!
We should also remember Jonathan Taylor was still a second round pick and packed up nearly 2,000 carries.

Breece will hardly have half of that if he leaves after this year.

That being said, if Breece has another year like last year and comes back for his senior year, he might need drug tested.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
For those interested, Dane Brugler of the Athletic posted a big NFL Draft guide and here's where ISU's players landed:

Kene Nwangwu: #16 rated RB, expected 6th-7th rd. pick
Dylan Soehner: #22 rated TE, expected Priority Free Agent
JaQuan Bailey: #38 rated Edge Rusher, expected Priority Free Agent
Lawrence White: #53 rated safety, no draft expectations provided

Appreciate you sharing

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Will McDonald if he can put on 20 lbs of good weight could be a first round pick.
They said this year he is up to 245 which would put him right there with the speed rushers in the NFL maybe another 5 lbs depends if he can stand up some this year

Reactions: cyclonehomer

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
We should also remember Jonathan Taylor was still a second round pick and packed up nearly 2,000 carries.

Breece will hardly have half of that if he leaves after this year.

That being said, if Breece has another year like last year and comes back for his senior year, he might need drug tested.

What if he comes back to win a 2nd National Championship?

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Soehner seems to be the best bet for being drafted. He got a combine invite which means like 17 teams requested it or something like that. The NFL loves big blocking TE but people don't tend to realize that because they aren't the ones catching Tds.

Kene's NFL role is not something teams tend to draft. I think he will have his choice in FA but would be kind of shocked if he was drafted. My guess would be last round if anything so a team wouldn't have to beat someone in FA for him.

Bailey I think is just a FA pick up as well. He is caught between an edge rusher and position guy. Solid at both but probably not good enough at one or the other for the NFL. People that can do both are 1-2 rounders. Hope I am wrong though