cyclone nation

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Well, see, some of us get this thing called a Bachelors Degree in Journalism. Then we work our way up in the world.

Other get in by who they know, which is how I suspect SD got there.

It ain't WHAT you know, it's WHO you know. Or something like that....

Unless WHAT you know is that some high level exec cheated on his wife.

DBQ Clone

Oct 4, 2007
Dubuque, IA
I can't deny he's a charasmatic and engaging personality. He did his sports show on KXNO quite well.

But his spot on "State of the Nations" is little more than a case of being the only show in town.

He owned and operated CN. Who else are you going to put up there?

That makes sense. So does he still do a show on KXNO? Where is that out of? I've never heard his show.

Now the Mediacom thing is becoming clearer. Although on television, Deace and Miller are about as engaging as the TV Guide channel.

To be honest, I find this insight fascinating...

DBQ Clone

Oct 4, 2007
Dubuque, IA
It ain't WHAT you know, it's WHO you know. Or something like that....

Unless WHAT you know is that some high level exec cheated on his wife.

This is true in many cases, although I'd like to think I've gotten to where I am in my profession by dint of my character and skill.

Although you won't be seeing me as a news director any time soon.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
That makes sense. So does he still do a show on KXNO? Where is that out of? I've never heard his show.

Now the Mediacom thing is becoming clearer. Although on television, Deace and Miller are about as engaging as the TV Guide channel.

He is on WHO out of Des Moines. It is a ranting and raving political show.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

He did the afternoon drive on KXNO for years - and I thought did a real good job. His only problem was he couldn't stick on sports and got on a pulpit too often. And was a real jerk about doing so. "It's not Deace on Sports, it's Deace in the afternoon. I can do what I want and I want my lollypop".

He also did the afternoon drive home slots on the two other sports stations in DSM before he got either fired or the station went defunct. When he got fired was just the cream on the hypocite cake. The pity-party he threw himself was absolutely priceless.

He now has done the afternoon drive slot on WHO for about a year and a half or so. Pretty much political with his religious/moral viewpoint.

He's been on the radio, in the media, for a number of years. So his show on MediaCom isn't as much about not being a non-media personality as it is about being a disingenuous, money grubbing, phony.

DBQ Clone

Oct 4, 2007
Dubuque, IA
He is on WHO out of Des Moines. It is a ranting and raving political show.

Now it's becoming clear as to why I've never heard him on the radio. I don't live in the DSM market. I don't think he was syndicated out of KXNO was he?

I could probably listen to him now that he's on WHO as they have clear channel on their frequency. Not that I'm a huge fan of WHO. Jan Mickelson is kind of fun to listen to though.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Oh, I've never had the feeling that he's incompetent. Quite the contrary.

Which really focuses the spot light on your last point....

Yes sir, it does indeed.

I *almost* became a Deace fan. But I've seen charismatics come and go and held back on drinking the Kool-Aid(tm). Heck, I used to be a lot of what I see in him. But then, I grew up, and realized that there is more rewards in doing, rather than saying.

And that A Man Is What He Does When It Counts. And when it has counted, Mr. Deace has been weighed, measured, and found wanting.....

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Well, see, some of us get this thing called a Bachelors Degree in Journalism. Then we work our way up in the world.

Other get in by who they know, which is how I suspect SD got there.

Then there's Barbara Walters - or was that Diane Sawyer?

:biglaugh:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I think Marty T gave SD his start on the Jock. There hung out at some sports bar and Steve always was calling in to the local shows on the Jock. That is the story I heard anyway. When Steve was on KXNO he did act like a Clone fan, knew stuff not many others did, had people inside the ISU athletic dept, and knew college sports. Yes he had his issues but he did talk ISU sports when not many did, or have since. He also ripped on Iowa fans and that was always good radio. Sure he made some mad along the way but his fat little buddy is the real reason CN is no more.