*** Cyclone Fanatic Sitcom Tournament: Sweet Sixteen ***

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Really thought Curb would be giving Cheers more of a battle. Haven't seen much of either show but if I remember correctly I heard people say great things about it since it's from Larry David the guy behind Seinfeld.

To me Cheers never impressed me but I was young when it was on in real time. Iconic theme song but a show based on people just sitting around a bar never drew me in as a syndication viewer.

Maybe some people can help me on Cheers too.
@madguy30 and @Gonzo made some good observations previously, with varied details, I won't add much to that for now (maybe later if I have more time). I think the dynamic of Sam & Diane was better than Sam/Rebecca (Diane was the "hinge" character for the series premise).

But that change, which came midway through, still worked because by that time it didn't have to carry the load, surrounding characters were focal points of an entire episode. That's at least four familiar characters to build side stories & such.

As for your assessment at the time It's possible it resonated more with some of us "geezers" who were into adulthood already at the time of its run. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
@madguy30 and @Gonzo made some good observations previously, with varied details, I won't add much to that for now (maybe later if I have more time). I think the dynamic of Sam & Diane was better than Sam/Rebecca (Diane was the "hinge" character for the series premise).

But that change, which came midway through, still worked because by that time it didn't have to carry the load, surrounding characters were focal points of an entire episode. That's at least four familiar characters to build side stories & such.

As for your assessment at the time It's possible it resonated more with some of us "geezers" who were into adulthood already at the time of its run. :)

Imo expanding the discussion on shows is no different than how tourney/game threads go so let's have at it!

Sam/Diane was a better dynamic but Rebecca being a hot mess may have been a big part of what kept the show going since it provided so much material. Didn't her relationship with Robin basically help carry a season or two?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Imo expanding the discussion on shows is no different than how tourney/game threads go so let's have at it!

Sam/Diane was a better dynamic but Rebecca being a hot mess may have been a big part of what kept the show going since it provided so much material. Didn't her relationship with Robin basically help carry a season or two?

Totally agree with that first paragraph. I love hearing other's opinions on these shows especially when I'm in the dark a bit regarding them other than what I know from reputation.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Agree about the show discussion/tournament discussion.

Re: Robin/Rebecca -- you're correct, I think it was like season 9 there was love triangle with them & Sam.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Fun fact, Joel Polis, who played Gary the owner of the rival bar Gary's Olde Town Tavern in Cheers, also played Reilly in Seinfeld, George's fellow NY Yankees employee whose tortuous wit brought about the famous "jerk store" comeback.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Fun fact, Joel Polis, who played Gary the owner of the rival bar Gary's Olde Town Tavern in Cheers, also played Reilly in Seinfeld, George's fellow NY Yankees employee whose tortuous wit brought about the famous "jerk store" comeback.
I wasn't aware of that trivia nugget. I don't know how I never made the visual connection between the two when I watched the jerk store episode. Maybe too much time had elapsed since I had seen Cheers, but considering how often Gary was featured especially during that one season, you'd think my memory would've been better.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I wasn't aware of that trivia nugget. I don't know how I never made the visual connection between the two when I watched the jerk store episode. Maybe too much time had elapsed since I had seen Cheers, but considering how often Gary was featured especially during that one season, you'd think my memory would've been better.
He didn't play Gary the entire time. He was one of two actors who portrayed Gary, I think the other actor played him in the early episodes and then Joel Polis took over after, but not certain of the sequence there. Easily one of the best sitcom heels of all time.

1685911050398.png

1685911063803.png

Last edited:

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Note since I can't emoji my own posts I will just quote each matchup and bold my vote and will add it in with the others.

Game 1 New York
1. Seinfeld (Heart emoji)
5. How I Met Your Mother (Rainbow emoji)

Game 2 New York
2. Modern Family (Heart emoji)
6. Wonder Years (Rainbow emoji)

Game 3 Scranton
1. The Office (Heart emoji)
5. The Andy Griffith Show (Rainbow emoji)

Game 4 Scranton
3. Happy Days (Heart emoji)
10. Parks and Recreation (Rainbow emoji)

Game 5 Korea
1. M*A*S*H (Heart emoji)
5. Married ... with Children (Rainbow emoji)

Game 6 Korea
3. Arrested Development (Heart emoji)
7. Gilligan's Island (Rainbow emoji)

Game 7 Boston
1. Cheers (Heart emoji)
4. Curb Your Enthusiasm (Rainbow emoji)

Game 8 Boston
2. Taxi (Heart emoji)
6. Home Improvement (Rainbow emoji)

Reactions: cyclones500