Cy’s House of Trivia 2019 Roll Call

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Hello all Cy’s House participants! I’m looking forward to one of the best Cyclone events of the year tomorrow, and I was just wondering who here will be going.

My table name is Best Kempt Secret. Most likely we’ll be nowhere close to winning, but we’ll be sure to make a beeramyd and have fun! This will be about my 7th year going. What about you?

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I'll be there. I can't remember our team name, I think it has GMO worked into somehow. We will likely be behind you in rank. Every year our table is unbelievably bad at trivia. Too many scientists and engineers I guess. I laughed at CW complaining about that math round a few years ago that knocked them out of first. I think that round actually got us to crack the top half.

On another note, I used to think it was the greatest event ever with free beer and food. I then realized I was paying $140 for Coors Light and egg rolls for my wife and I. Hopefully they have a few more celebrities this year. Last year we had more rounds without one than we did with one.

All in all it is an awesome event and I look forward to it every year.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
I'll be there. I can't remember our team name, I think it has GMO worked into somehow. We will likely be behind you in rank. Every year our table is unbelievably bad at trivia. Too many scientists and engineers I guess. I laughed at CW complaining about that math round a few years ago that knocked them out of first. I think that round actually got us to crack the top half.

On another note, I used to think it was the greatest event ever with free beer and food. I then realized I was paying $140 for Coors Light and egg rolls for my wife and I. Hopefully they have a few more celebrities this year. Last year we had more rounds without one than we did with one.

All in all it is an awesome event and I look forward to it every year.

I know what you mean about the egg rolls and Coors Light thing, but according to their email there should be better food options this year at least:
“ Buffets will include full meal options in addition to appetizers and will be replenished throughout the evening until the end of Round 6 Intermission”.

Reactions: Cyientist

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
I checked prices on that trip once and it was about 40 1 way. Obviously depending on day and time though.

Reactions: sp8815

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I missed Cy's House last year for the first time ever because of a wedding in California on that weekend. Am looking forward to being a part of it again!

Marti4Cy

May 17, 2008
Des Moines
Our team is ready to go. We never place very high, but then again we aren't very bright. I second the complaint about the math round a few years ago. Math is NOT trivia.

Last year we had several "celebrities". More than usual, maybe just the luck of the draw.

:):D:cool:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
It seems like they made an effort to move things along more quickly last night than they have in recent years. I don't even remember what time it ended, but seemed to not take as long (to me, anyway - my estimating might just be way off).

We only ended up with four celebrities, including Ed Wilson (WHO-TV) and Fiona Fonoti (assistant volleyball coach), who were both a lot of fun. But the three senior women's basketball players stopped by our table to say hi even though they weren't actually *at* our table, so we were able to get a couple of photos and chat between two of the early rounds. It kinda seemed like they were a little light on the total number of celebs this year. Oh, that big red bird dropped by the table during social hour, too. We offered a bite, but he'd already eaten. :cool:

Thought the food was pretty good (especially the pork), with a decent variety. Some of us had gathered in the early afternoon for lunch, so we weren't super hungry. I wanted to eat more last night since I liked what I'd tried, but also didn't want to roll myself out of Hilton at the end.

I didn't see any huge beer-amids this year. There was a smaller one going near where we were, and one that had a single 'spire' that got pretty tall, but that was about it. Overall, we thought it was another good evening for Cy's House.

Reactions: isutrevman

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It seems like they made an effort to move things along more quickly last night than they have in recent years. I don't even remember what time it ended, but seemed to not take as long (to me, anyway - my estimating might just be way off).

It definitely moved faster. Almost too fast. Seemed like very little chance to discuss some answers among a team (by the time you did they were onto the next question).

I didn't see any huge beer-amids this year. There was a smaller one going near where we were, and one that had a single 'spire' that got pretty tall, but that was about it.

They started discouraging them somewhat the last couple years.

My only things with some of the questions would be why some questions were multiple choice vs fill in the blank (seemed like we knew some of those without giving options but other categories we could have used the help) and that the superhero round should have been a bit more obscure. A lot of surface level depth in that category versus some of the other categories

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
It definitely moved faster. Almost too fast. Seemed like very little chance to discuss some answers among a team (by the time you did they were onto the next question).

They started discouraging them somewhat the last couple years.

My only things with some of the questions would be why some questions were multiple choice vs fill in the blank (seemed like we knew some of those without giving options but other categories we could have used the help) and that the superhero round should have been a bit more obscure. A lot of surface level depth in that category versus some of the other categories

Yeah, I'd agree with all that. We, too, had a couple times when we were discussing an answer and they'd start reading the next question. We kept waiting for the "category of doom" where nobody on your team knows squat about ANY of the questions, but it never came, although some rounds were definitely more difficult than others. Overall, I'd say the questions were among the easier ones we've seen when comparing to past events. There have been years where we've felt like someone had been trying to teach us quantum physics by the end of it. This wasn't one of those years (which was ok!).

I'm not sure what might go in the "comments" section when they ask for feedback this time. I don't want to say "the pace was too fast," because I'm sure the pace was based on previous comments that it moved too slowly (which it did).

vizualizr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 3, 2009
WDM
Between "Beer", "SNL", "Superheroes", and "name that song (all of which were 90's songs)" - it seemed like it was tailored specifically for our table of 40-45ish dudes.

Beverly Cleary is still alive! She's like 103!

Reactions: ISU3PtLand

MarkM

May 23, 2018
Our team is ready to go. We never place very high, but then again we aren't very bright. I second the complaint about the math round a few years ago. Math is NOT trivia.

Last year we had several "celebrities". More than usual, maybe just the luck of the draw.

:):D:cool:
Does Ed Wilson count as a celebrity?